PTAE-900 Advice for room size

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pure_geordie, Mar 15, 2006.

1. pure_geordie

pure_geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hello, I'm a novice here so bare with me please. Thinking about buying a projector type Panasonic PT-ae900
    what does anybody think about this model please.

My room is size 16ft long by 7.7ft wide, and what would be the best
    distance to put it for a screen size of about of a wall that is 7.7ft wide and
    8ft tall to project the image on. The best quality picture.

And what would be the best sitting position aswell.

Also does changing the lens ratio make picture quality worse.

Thanks you for any responses ok.

If i've missed out any further info you need please tell me. Thanks

2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,546
    To give you an idea of size.

My PJ is 11.5' away from the screen and the seating is about the same. the screen size is 92". To me that is about the optimal distance without looking too big or equally too small.

If you havn't seen any PJ's in action, i would suggest you go and have a look at a few for comparison. You will be suprised at how different each one is.

Good luck :)

3. Brindek

Brindek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That is about the same size as my room and I sit about 12ft way from the screen which is a 120" diagonal. I would say that this is just about as big as you would want to go at that distance as with quick moving scenes it can be a little too much for the brain:eek:

The general rule is the viewing distance should be between 1.5 & 2x the screen size. So with a 10ft screen you should be between 15& 20ft away. I worked on a simple principle.......fit the biggest screen I could in the space available and sit where felt comfortable :thumbsup:

4. joffonon

joffonon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    pure_geordie, I was in the same position as you when the AE700 came out, and I've got a similar size room as you by the sound of it. My AE700 is on a shelf on the back wall, and it projects onto the far end (blackout cloth covering the window, with a black felt "mask" covering it to give a 2.35:1 screen definition.

I can safely say that I've never once regretted buying it, so you should be absolutely fine with the next model up! There's no difference in picture quality at whatever lens shift setting (I assume that's what you mean by lens ratio).

5. Greenish

Greenish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use 106" screen with my ae900 from 3m (9') away. Very big picture, noise(in image, not projector sound) is a bit anoying but SDE is undetectable. I think you have to try it for yourself to really know if it works for you.