1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ptae 300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Vorlon, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Vorlon

Vorlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all,
    I'm new to this site and would appreciate some feedback/comments from others regarding the Panasonic PTAE300. I have read others comments on the 100 and it's associated problems. I even managed to get a "demo" of a 100 at a panasonic dealer shop in Guildford at the weekend. I use the term "demo" very loosely as it was in a very small room onto a beige wall (no screen and with picture hooks still in the wall !) and i was not allowed to choose the demo disc either. I don't think the PJ had even been set up correctly !! the reason i was looking at the 100 is because i have been unable to find anyone within a 150 mile radius who has a 300 on demo. I've tried Panasonic themselves, and they were extremely unhelpful. All i get from dealers is "oh mate their going like hot cakes". I am not prepeared to just hand over £1500 for something i've never seen !! Has anyone actually managed to see one of these machines ? are they as good as the hi fi press makes them out to be....or is it all just hype. I did manage to get an Infocus X1 on demo at home for a week (very nice people), and was very impressed with it's clarity and contrast. I have been told that this will accept a progressive scan signal via the VGA skt ! is this true?

Sorry to have waffled on, but after nearly 5 weeks of trying to get a demo, I'm starting to wish I'd never bothered !

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Try using the search button at the top of this page. This model has been "done to death" on these forums with lots of people asking about them, lots of replies and quite a few owning them and providing feedback etc.

As they say, let your fingers do the walking :)

3. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Vorlon,

I have had mine for 2 weeks. I am new to projectors and at first it took me a bit to get round the blacks looking dark grey but i'm told this is the same for all LCD projectors.

Now that I have callibrated the projector and tweaked the red gamma levels etc wiithout going into too much detail all I can say about the Ae300 is WOW!!!!

I don't get excited very easily as I am very critical over the smallest things. I have to say this is a fantastic piece of kit. Its quiet as a mouse on low fan setting, the picture does not have the slightest appearance of screendoor, it can be focused to be pin sharp and so far has performed perfectly.

I have it connected via cheap audio rca leads (supplied with unit) and connected to a Phillips 963sa DVD player outputting as PAL progressive (had to hack the player to do this).

The picture is trully breathtaking. I know there are a lot of great projectors out there to choose from in this price range but I think you'll find this is one of them.

If I were you i'de bite the bullet and buy one i'm sure you'll love it. My advice to you would be to make sure you callibrate it tho as the factory settings on mine were way off especially the colour and tint settings. I'd also consider paying a little more and getting a pixel check done as Panasonics pixel policy is pretty poor(PPP.PP):laugh: I believe they consider up to 7 stuck pixels as ok (non green).

Good luck on whatever you decide

Deks

4. Vorlon

Vorlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dekim and Messiah
    Many thanks for replying. Messiah, i have since checked out the reviews on this excellent site....still not 100%. Dekim, thanks for the technical stuff. It's nice to know i'm not alone in seeking the best you can get for the money. I also know what you mean about the "grey" blacks, once you stop looking at the projector and start enjoying the film it all starts to come together !
    Have since been told that Nexnix has a PTAE300 on demo, so will be winging my ass up asap. Did i read somewhere on this site that they do/don't price match ? as previously stated go2camcorder are doing them for £1350 !!!!
    I hope the panny is as good as it sounds, the Infocus X1 that i had on demo certainly blew me away, and yes i have seen a lot of projectors.

5. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unfortunately Nexnix do not price match and are more expensive to boot. What they do offer is good customer services, especially if your projector should become faulty. They also do a pixel check for £20 as you may already be aware. It will be interesting to see how you compare the ae300 with the others oyou have demo'd.

Good luck

Deks

6. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just in case you missed it on the other threads Barclaycard refunded over £300 on my AE300 that i bought from Nexnix under the Barclaycard Price Promise. Not sure how much longer they will do it if everyone gets on it though!!!

7. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vorlon,

I have had my AE300 for about 2 weeks and it is the most amazing thing I have seen. The picture is amazing especially for the price.

At the moment (as previously stated) they are rather popular and difficult to get hold off, let alone a demo of. I had never seen one but the guys here on the forums convinced me that it was the one to go for and I don't regret it for a moment.

Here is a link to a page which details my installation and includes some piccies of the pj and examples screen shots from films and games:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/ftvtp/ftvtpmainpage.htm

All the best,

Chris Nightingale

8. Vorlon

Vorlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to all for the advice and wisdom. Should know by the end of the week which way i'm gonna go, after getting some demo's. I'll let you know which PJ i go for and hopefully will upload some shots of the set up when i finish it .

9. Vorlon

Vorlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris and Dekim

Well i finally got the fabled demo..........yup your right !! one awesome piece of kit. Loved the image....should be real easy to live with. Gonna follow insp gadgets advice and get a Barclaycard to get the price match facillity.
    Many thanks to all who responded to this thread, it really helped.

10. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck with obtaining your Barclaycard, there is a 2 month backlog.