1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTAE-300 vs PTAE500 ..Lets Rumble

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Saint Legend, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Saint Legend

Saint Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Lately my head has been severly hurting, The choice in LCD projectors is somewhat bewildering :confused:. My main interest is directed at the Pansonic "PTAE Siblings"

1) Is the PTAE-500 significantly better (in all aspects ) than the PTAE-300 ?

2) Would all present PTAE-300 users upgrade to PTAE-500, or has anyone already upgraded?

3) Is the PTAE-500 more geared towards HCPC & HDefintion TV users ?

4)Has anyone seen or done a comparision shootout/test yet?

5) Are pansonic LCD projectos reliable ?

Errrmm ...Thats all for now , cannot think of anymore ?'s. Just a little info on me though, I'm interested simply in using a Projector via DVD player route , all I want is a good quality , but very large picture projected onto my wall. Do you guys think the PTAE-300 is enough for someone like me ? I'm not too fussy , Just want large screen entertainment at a reasonable price and quality, This would be my first ever projector ( At present I use a 14" portable TV in my bedroom ) So I want to start off with a bang!!!!!

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    this is what ive gathered so far, the ae500 is a "great" projector that does everything somebody could want (other than lens shift). Panny pj's are reliable and although the warranty appears short i dont think too many people have problems with them. I havnt heard of a shoot-out between those two pj's but there are several shoot-outs with other projectors. In terms of HCPC and Hi-Def they both work well apparently and so long as the room is pretty dark they give a really crisp image with a good contrast. If your DVD player is a good one then the ae500 looks like a good way to go, but if it isnt a splendid one then it could be possible the ae500 isnt enough better. The PC connection does look very good with both pj's and 1to1 pixel mapping appears possible (apart from one persons complaint...) but the ae500 edges ahead here quite a lot.

Anyway this is what ive gathered so far on the subject as I am in a similar situation although i have a slightly bigger space for it. Make sure your room is big enough to cope with a projector with a medium throw.

Chris

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Dont know if anyones managed a 1:1 pixel match on the 300 Yet?

Have they?

Please tell :)

I have 2 300's and I cant complain, fantastic machines. Hopefully the 500 is better. If it is and you can justify the price difference then go for it.

Jack

4. Saint Legend

Saint Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jack, would you upgrade your 2x PTAE-300's for 2x PTAE-500 if you found out that the performance aspects of the PTAE-500 are not leaps and bounds better than the PTAE-300's?

:lesson: Time

Cheers

5. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    In a word no.

Well not yet anyway. I am more than happy with what I have right now.

When I bought the 300's (1 for me, others my dads) I demo'd a few machines inc. the HS10. To be honest (and to Kramers delight no doubt) the HS10 was the better machine. The thing is it wasnt a £800 better machine.

You can go on forever, you know "Oh its only another £500-600 and Its can do this...Blah,blah."

I picked a machine (the 300), it cost me just over £1300 in June. I then bought a Nexnix 8ft electric (remote operated) screen (£600 ish). I got both of these for slightly less than I would paid for the HS10.

Just a balancing thing. Right now 300's are going for around £700-£800 and whats a 500 £1300. The 500 would have too be an amazing machine to justify the extra £500-£600 for me.

If it is WOW :cool:

Jack

6. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    But Jack, the 300 is now going for £900 and the 500 for £1150 and that makes a difference of £250. Now is it worth upgrading?

Clint.

7. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As soon as I hear back from Komplet, I will upgrade.
    They are doing a 500 at a great price.
    I have emailed Panasonic re thhe validity of the warranty and their policy on stuck/dead pixels.
    I believe the machine they are selling is a European model but just needs a new plug :)

CHEERS

Chris

8. Howser

Howser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recieved my AE500 from Komplett

I have'nt got time to try it just now,as i have to go to work, but just to let everyone know that it comes with a UK manual and a UK powerlead,the onscreen menu is set to English straight from the box,no dead pixels.

I will take a much better look tonight when i return from work.

9. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have had the ptae100 since march 02 and have racked up 3200 hours in this time. I had a stuck blue pixel in the middle of the screen and panasonic refused to exchange it as they say it was in spec. I put a yellow sticker over the open blue pixel and this makes the blue colour invisible. I have now decided to upgrade and have went for the a300 from discount tv as they do a dpc.I was tempted by the a500 from komplett but they say you can only return the unit if the pj is out of spec( which is i think 1 lit green pixel or ,5 or more blue or red) before its out of spec. I felt i could not take the chance of getting another unit with stuck/dead pixels so i ordered from discount tv.

so anyway my ptae 300 will be arriving tomorrow and i cant wait:D

my ptae100 has served me well and i have been happy with the picture,but the improvements the 300 will give as well as the low price tempted me to uprgrade now rather than wait till my 100 bulb needed replacing.

And it also means i can sell my old 100 while it still has some life left on the bulb.

10. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think Komplett's order book is going to fill up very quickly very soon.:D

11. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Spend the extra £250:D

Jack

12. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :laugh: :clap:

13. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well I'm also thinking about upgrading my AE300 for a AE500.
    It will be cheaper than an extension being built to use a long throw DLP :D

14. Saint Legend

Saint Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We all heard you the first time Robocop ! :confused:

Anyhow , now that some brave souls have the PTAE-500 , please when you get a few moments to spare, give us a review & if possible PICTURES :smashin: .

Cheers

15. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Notice discounttv are doing them for £1225 inc vat, pixel check, and next day delivery. Apparently their website is being updated tomorrow with this.

Anyone dealt with them before?

16. hotrod

hotrod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have any update on this? really would like to know thoughts on this model and whether it is ok buying from komplett. A couple of pics wouldn't go amiss either ;)

17. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got fed up with waiting and paid about £250 above the Komplett price but it is from a reputable shop and at least I can deal with people face to face.
    I think it is a fantastic little projector :)

18. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I bought my 300 from them and it arrived in perfect nick with no dead pixels so a big :smashin: from me

19. Saint Legend

Saint Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comparison Link from the USA AVSforums.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=360184

Hope the above link works

Some of the yanks, feel that the major advantage/use the PTAE-500 has over the PTAE-300 is mainly HDTV. Since I'm not too bothered about HDTV & HTPC , I think , I 'm going to go with the PTAE-300. I'll hopefully upgrade in 2 years time to the PTAE-9000.:p . I wonder if Benji and his team are going to knock the price of the PTAE-300 down anymore? Oh yeah....What happened to the PTAE-400 ?

Cheers

20. Saint Legend

Saint Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn...the link does not work as planned , try cutting & pasting the link onto the address bar. If it still does not work, the thread is by some guy called Jacksonian ( 300-500 upgrade comparision)

Sorry for the confusion:confused:

Cheers

21. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  22. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You can buy from Komplett with confidence.

I bought 2 PT300's in June and then a 3rd one for my mate in July. My mates had a dead pixel (green). Phoned Komplet and had a new unit within 48hrs :) They were great, friendly service the lot. Ask for Irish Dave or Alex.

Jack

PS Incedently my mate had to pay for delivery (I think £15) for the replacement unit. I dont think you can really complain about that. You would have had to pay petrol/parking if you return a unit face to face.

23. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have had my 300 for about a week now and i am very impressed, the picture is so much sharper brighter and smoother than my old 100, was tempted by the 500 but as most of my viewing is sky as well as dvds i didnt think there would be much difference in image quality between the 500 or the 300 to justify the extra £200, one thing i have noticed is the digital cinema reality circuit in the 300 realy works well as i cant tell any difference between the pj being fed a ntsc progressive signal from my toshiba 510 or feeding it an interlaced signal & letting the pj do the processing.

so i am happy with my upgrade at the moment

24. Saint Legend

Saint Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update.......

PTAE-300E @ Komplett.co.uk has come down to

£823.00:clap: :clap: :clap:

How low can this price go ? can £750.00 be far off ?
    :smashin:

Cheers

p.s - Does the PTAE-300 need the HOYA Filter ?

25. Khai

Khai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bearing in mind the new AE300 price, does anyone have any opinions as to whether the AE500 improvements over it are worth the £323 difference in price?

Khai

26. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I run the AE500 via a PC at 1280x 720 and have tweaked it to maximum contrast ratio via AVIA setup disk.
    If AE300 can match this then buy it.
    On the othe hand there may not be a quantum leap if youa are viewing via a DVD player?
    I suppose it depends if you are a tweaker or not :)

Chris

27. Khai

Khai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, I'll tweak whichever one I get till it's perfect.

Did you connect with VGA or DVI Chris? My TFT monitor occupies the DVI so I think I'll have to go the VGA route ... how long can VGA cables get?

28. Saint Legend

Saint Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ARRRRRRRRRRAGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

It's almost crunch time . In the words of my favourite detective
    COLUMBO - "Just one more thing"..... Before I take the plunge and go for the PTAE-300 from Komplett, Can you guys please help me out once again....pretty please ?

I'm so sorry if these questions sound v.Basic or retarded , This is a big spend for me, I'm not a weathly person, cannot afford to take chances, hence the many questions..

1) Would the PTAE-300 need a Hoya Filter for best pics?

2)Where is the cheapest/best place to buy Component cables?are there any cables for under £40 ?

3)DIY screen is my best option at present- Do you think Painted wall via (Icestorm 5 ) or Blinds? Does the icestorm have to be painted on MDF?

4)Wheres the best/cheapest place to buy the blinds from ? also what colour blind should I go for? Does anyone have Direct links ?

5)What other Future costs may I need to consider after purchasing the PTAE-300?

6)Having not ever seen a PTAE-300 in action ( just a DLP @ sevenoaks) is any forum member living in Leicester with a PTAE-200 or 300 set up ? can bring my DVD's and treat you to a Kebab with all the trimmings for the effort.

Once again, I'm so, so sorry if you guys are annoyed with my questions. Its not intentional(Honest!). I really , really want to buy the PTAE-300 before Friday, please help me people. Its not my fault I'm Stupid.

".Stupid is a stupid does" (whatever that means ?)

please help me to get off the damn fence.

Cheers

29. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I dont think so. Picture good enough for me. But its upto you whats acceptable or not.

Almost a how longs a piece of string question. Deepends on lenght. I bot mine from QDC (I think). Do a search on here, loads of places. I paid £80 (ish) for 10m.

Try a white painted wall first. If you like it great, if not play around.

NO. Again do a search on here. Ikea ect. have them but I didnt go that route. Black out material is supposed to be good as well.

Ceiling mount?

I live in Nottingham (Near Ollerton). So long as your not a City fan ;) your more than welcome to see my set up. Kebeb optional, Stella compulsory :D

Dont be STUPID thats what the forums for.

Hope this helps.

Jack

30. bikepete

bikepete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a few I can answer:

> 2)Where is the cheapest/best place to buy Component cables?are
    > there any cables for under £40 ?

I got mine from CPC (aka Farnell retail):

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/

Root around a bit and you'll find component cables dead cheap. I got a 10m set a couple of weeks ago or so for about 7 (yes, seven) quid plus 3 quid postage or so - it was just over a tenner in all as I recall. Quality looks OK to me, they seem to work fine. Arrived next day in the post.

Look in

All Products - Audio Video - Audio-Video Equipment and Accessories - Leads - and scroll down, plus more on page two

I think I got order code AV0823466, though the plugs look a bit different to those shown. Still gold-plated :)

I also considered these:

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/54/display.html

> 4)Wheres the best/cheapest place to buy the blinds from ? also
    > what colour blind should I go for? Does anyone have Direct links ?

See my post on Special Offers forum - B&Q had a 1.8 blackout blind half price, again a week or two ago. It's off-white but I'm very happy with it (with AE200). Then again, I've not compared it to anything else. Various threads here recommend Tupplur blinds from IKEA.

> 5)What other Future costs may I need to consider after
    > purchasing the PTAE-300?

If you're ordering from CPC why not get yourself a VGA cable to connect up your computer in case you want to play games, give slideshows or whatever - this might take you over 30 quid so you get free postage :) . I ordered a 6m 'SVGA' cable for 20 quid yesterday, awaiting delivery today!

Cheers!

Pete