PTAE-300 vs PTAE500 ..Lets Rumble

S

Saint Legend

Hello

Lately my head has been severly hurting, The choice in LCD projectors is somewhat bewildering :confused:. My main interest is directed at the Pansonic "PTAE Siblings"

1) Is the PTAE-500 significantly better (in all aspects ) than the PTAE-300 ?

2) Would all present PTAE-300 users upgrade to PTAE-500, or has anyone already upgraded?

3) Is the PTAE-500 more geared towards HCPC & HDefintion TV users ?

4)Has anyone seen or done a comparision shootout/test yet?

5) Are pansonic LCD projectos reliable ?

Errrmm ...Thats all for now , cannot think of anymore ?'s. Just a little info on me though, I'm interested simply in using a Projector via DVD player route , all I want is a good quality , but very large picture projected onto my wall. Do you guys think the PTAE-300 is enough for someone like me ? I'm not too fussy , Just want large screen entertainment at a reasonable price and quality, This would be my first ever projector ( At present I use a 14" portable TV in my bedroom ) So I want to start off with a bang!!!!!

explicitlyrics

this is what ive gathered so far, the ae500 is a "great" projector that does everything somebody could want (other than lens shift). Panny pj's are reliable and although the warranty appears short i dont think too many people have problems with them. I havnt heard of a shoot-out between those two pj's but there are several shoot-outs with other projectors. In terms of HCPC and Hi-Def they both work well apparently and so long as the room is pretty dark they give a really crisp image with a good contrast. If your DVD player is a good one then the ae500 looks like a good way to go, but if it isnt a splendid one then it could be possible the ae500 isnt enough better. The PC connection does look very good with both pj's and 1to1 pixel mapping appears possible (apart from one persons complaint...) but the ae500 edges ahead here quite a lot.

Anyway this is what ive gathered so far on the subject as I am in a similar situation although i have a slightly bigger space for it. Make sure your room is big enough to cope with a projector with a medium throw.

Chris

Dont know if anyones managed a 1:1 pixel match on the 300 Yet?

Have they?

Please tell :)

I have 2 300's and I cant complain, fantastic machines. Hopefully the 500 is better. If it is and you can justify the price difference then go for it.

Jack

S

Saint Legend

Jack, would you upgrade your 2x PTAE-300's for 2x PTAE-500 if you found out that the performance aspects of the PTAE-500 are not leaps and bounds better than the PTAE-300's?

:lesson: Time

Cheers

In a word no.

Well not yet anyway. I am more than happy with what I have right now.

When I bought the 300's (1 for me, others my dads) I demo'd a few machines inc. the HS10. To be honest (and to Kramers delight no doubt) the HS10 was the better machine. The thing is it wasnt a £800 better machine.

You can go on forever, you know "Oh its only another £500-600 and Its can do this...Blah,blah."

I picked a machine (the 300), it cost me just over £1300 in June. I then bought a Nexnix 8ft electric (remote operated) screen (£600 ish). I got both of these for slightly less than I would paid for the HS10.

Just a balancing thing. Right now 300's are going for around £700-£800 and whats a 500 £1300. The 500 would have too be an amazing machine to justify the extra £500-£600 for me.

If it is WOW :cool:

Jack

Clint C

But Jack, the 300 is now going for £900 and the 500 for £1150 and that makes a difference of £250. Now is it worth upgrading?

Clint.

(GTV)Chris

As soon as I hear back from Komplet, I will upgrade.
They are doing a 500 at a great price.
I have emailed Panasonic re thhe validity of the warranty and their policy on stuck/dead pixels.
I believe the machine they are selling is a European model but just needs a new plug :)

CHEERS

Chris

H

Howser

Just recieved my AE500 from Komplett

I have'nt got time to try it just now,as i have to go to work, but just to let everyone know that it comes with a UK manual and a UK powerlead,the onscreen menu is set to English straight from the box,no dead pixels.

I will take a much better look tonight when i return from work.

chic

i have had the ptae100 since march 02 and have racked up 3200 hours in this time. I had a stuck blue pixel in the middle of the screen and panasonic refused to exchange it as they say it was in spec. I put a yellow sticker over the open blue pixel and this makes the blue colour invisible. I have now decided to upgrade and have went for the a300 from discount tv as they do a dpc.I was tempted by the a500 from komplett but they say you can only return the unit if the pj is out of spec( which is i think 1 lit green pixel or ,5 or more blue or red) before its out of spec. I felt i could not take the chance of getting another unit with stuck/dead pixels so i ordered from discount tv.

so anyway my ptae 300 will be arriving tomorrow and i cant wait:D

my ptae100 has served me well and i have been happy with the picture,but the improvements the 300 will give as well as the low price tempted me to uprgrade now rather than wait till my 100 bulb needed replacing.

And it also means i can sell my old 100 while it still has some life left on the bulb.

DVDcake

Novice Member
Originally posted by Howser

I have'nt got time to try it just now,as i have to go to work, but just to let everyone know that it comes with a UK manual and a UK powerlead,the onscreen menu is set to English straight from the box,no dead pixels.

I think Komplett's order book is going to fill up very quickly very soon.:D

But Jack, the 300 is now going for £900 and the 500 for £1150 and that makes a difference of £250. Now is it worth upgrading?
Spend the extra £250:D

Jack

Clint C

:laugh: :clap:

robocop

Well I'm also thinking about upgrading my AE300 for a AE500.
It will be cheaper than an extension being built to use a long throw DLP :D

S

Saint Legend

We all heard you the first time Robocop ! :confused:

Anyhow , now that some brave souls have the PTAE-500 , please when you get a few moments to spare, give us a review & if possible PICTURES :smashin: .

Cheers

pringtef

Notice discounttv are doing them for £1225 inc vat, pixel check, and next day delivery. Apparently their website is being updated tomorrow with this.

Anyone dealt with them before?

hotrod

Standard Member
Originally posted by Howser

Do you have any update on this? really would like to know thoughts on this model and whether it is ok buying from komplett. A couple of pics wouldn't go amiss either ;)

(GTV)Chris

I got fed up with waiting and paid about £250 above the Komplett price but it is from a reputable shop and at least I can deal with people face to face.
I think it is a fantastic little projector :)

chic

Originally posted by pringtef
Notice discounttv are doing them for £1225 inc vat, pixel check, and next day delivery. Apparently their website is being updated tomorrow with this.

Anyone dealt with them before?
I bought my 300 from them and it arrived in perfect nick with no dead pixels so a big :smashin: from me

S

Saint Legend

Comparison Link from the USA AVSforums.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=360184

Hope the above link works

Some of the yanks, feel that the major advantage/use the PTAE-500 has over the PTAE-300 is mainly HDTV. Since I'm not too bothered about HDTV & HTPC , I think , I 'm going to go with the PTAE-300. I'll hopefully upgrade in 2 years time to the PTAE-9000.:p . I wonder if Benji and his team are going to knock the price of the PTAE-300 down anymore? Oh yeah....What happened to the PTAE-400 ?

Cheers

S

Saint Legend

Damn...the link does not work as planned , try cutting & pasting the link onto the address bar. If it still does not work, the thread is by some guy called Jacksonian ( 300-500 upgrade comparision)

Sorry for the confusion:confused:

Cheers

You can buy from Komplett with confidence.

I bought 2 PT300's in June and then a 3rd one for my mate in July. My mates had a dead pixel (green). Phoned Komplet and had a new unit within 48hrs :) They were great, friendly service the lot. Ask for Irish Dave or Alex.

Jack

PS Incedently my mate had to pay for delivery (I think £15) for the replacement unit. I dont think you can really complain about that. You would have had to pay petrol/parking if you return a unit face to face.

chic

i have had my 300 for about a week now and i am very impressed, the picture is so much sharper brighter and smoother than my old 100, was tempted by the 500 but as most of my viewing is sky as well as dvds i didnt think there would be much difference in image quality between the 500 or the 300 to justify the extra £200, one thing i have noticed is the digital cinema reality circuit in the 300 realy works well as i cant tell any difference between the pj being fed a ntsc progressive signal from my toshiba 510 or feeding it an interlaced signal & letting the pj do the processing.

so i am happy with my upgrade at the moment

S

Saint Legend

Update.......

PTAE-300E @ Komplett.co.uk has come down to

£823.00:clap: :clap: :clap:

How low can this price go ? can £750.00 be far off ?
:smashin:

Cheers

p.s - Does the PTAE-300 need the HOYA Filter ?

K

Khai

Bearing in mind the new AE300 price, does anyone have any opinions as to whether the AE500 improvements over it are worth the £323 difference in price?

Khai