1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTAE-300 reliability?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Smurfin, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    I'm sitting on the fence (like many people).... trying to muster the guts to just go ahead and order one from Price Japan.

One thing has been nagging though....we all know about the reliability problems with the PTAE-100, as it's been well documented over the last few months.

The big Q is....is the 300 suffering from the same problems?

How long has the 300 been out for? (i.e is it too soon to tell?)

Advice before I take the plunge would be appreciated.

Before I buy one, I'd love to get a demo of it too - if anyone who has one is in the Cambridgeshire area and would be obliging, I'd appreciate it if I could see it working:D

Cheers
    Matt

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a bit of a gamble doing this importing lark, but for me it couldn't have worked out better - I'm REALLY pleased!

If you check out the Buying an AE-200 from Japan thread, you'll find that one AE-300 has arrived DOA, and Julia's has some dead pixels. Its probably too soon to talk about reliability, but for whats its worth I have had 10 hours use out of mine, and its not blown up yet.

I can offer you a demo at some point - its a bit awkward at the moment as my sister is about to give birth so lots of relatives milling around, and lots of carpet pacing going on :)

(BTW I already gaves Sykes a demo - another local HC fan on these Forums, and as a current AE-100 owner, he went away VERY impressed!)

3. desibeo

desibeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As a follow-on to this, how is this Panasonic range with regard to dust getting into the lens?
    I know its probably too early to talk specifically about the 300 so dust reports on the 100 will do. Would one of these lcds be useable in a smokey public premises such as a pub for instance?

-Kevin.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Cheers Andy, drop me a PM when it's convenient for you, and I'll pop round (only needs to be 10 mins probably).

I've read the thread u mention above, somehow it's not putting me off:eek: ;)

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Well I've got about 300Hrs on my ae100 and its never collected anydust on the panels. In a pub enviroment I don't know if it would remain as clean but I'd have my doubts about most projectors. The main worry would be tar deposits building upon the panels .

Saying that you'r only alternative would be a unit with sealed light engine and most are still way over expensive for a pub projector. However at leasth teh ae100 is fairly cheap and would probably perform adequately in a dim pub enviroment.