1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ptae 1000 and dvd players

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by frankie13, Dec 29, 2002.

1. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi m8s can anyone reccomend a dvd player , to go with
    the ptae 100
    thanks

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Try the Philips Sa963 , it can do progressive pal with simple remote hack, and can be converted to multi region with a Pronto remote, or similer.
    Its pretty new so in short supply.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I second Tim's suggestion. The AE100 is a budget projector and in my opinion the 963 is a perfect partner. Feed it progressive scan via component cables and the picture is fantastic. not too expensive either, considering - about £330-350 depending where you shop.

4. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks m8s for your advise, i needed 1 today so i have bought
    the new panasonic 62ebs from comet , anybody got any reviews on this machine

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Take it back and ask them to get you the Philips sa963 ;)
    You are limited with the Panasonic 62ebs as it has no componant out sockets, you will be limited to s-video which looks great at first but you soon start to see the limitations of this budget projector, look at least to go for a player with componant interlaced for connecting to this projector for dvd playback.
    There are currently no Panasonic players which offer componant out :(

6. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi m8 frankie here again , according to the info on this machine it has component out puts , but im using the pro-v anyway the reason i changed dvd player, i noticed dimming down and up on my aiwa , very annoying on a 8ft screen so i gave it to my daughter the reason i use s-video leads is because im limited for connection heres my set up
    1 humax sat - rec scart only
    2 itv dig box scart
    now i pump these through my panny video then from the video
    into the pro-v then into the projector
    hope this helps
    frankie

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    frankie

ProV is fine for digibox and video, but component should be better for DVD. In which case (and as you have the same projector as me), you really should consider progressive scan - it makes a big difference to the quality of picture.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    richard

Hows the 963 performing? have you had any hickups with any discs?

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    not yet. I find the remote a bit too directional, but that'll sort itself out when it gets pronto'd.

It gets very hot too - doesn't help being on top of my receiver in an enclosed wooden cabinet. I think I'll bring it out to give it and the receiver space to breath.

Overall I still can't believe that DVDs have this kind of detail encoded in them. People were saying that animated/CG stuff like Toy Story is the best demo material for the AE100, but I think live action is much better - coupled with a great DVD player like the 963 there is much more detail visible and it really is fantastic.

Only slight downside is my mission FS1s. Still sound a bit tinny. Some more running in needed, and a rug.

I might try converting my PAL discs to 480p to compare with unprocessed - have you tried that yet? I'm just wondering, what with the AE100 only having 480 lines of vertical resolution anyway, it might look better (if thats possible)

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Richard

I would think that NTSC software should look better then pal, as 480p being NTSC would match the panel better than 576p would, saying that, the AE100 down converts better than going up, so it shoudn't look to bad with pal progressive, it would be interesting to do a comparison of pal prog verses NTSC prog with the same Film.
    Having only NTSC prog with my Toshiba sd510, I don't have the luxury of pal prog :(
    I Can't believe how good some discs can look with NTSC progressive, Men in Black II (R1)for example looks very detailed and sharp with great contrast on my SD510, yet ToyStory 2 (R1) cannot compete.

I would recommend a Rug being at least 10' x 8' for good sound quality ;)