1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT600 tuner in Panasonic plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ojala, Nov 21, 2004.

1. ojala

ojala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchased the Panasonic TH-42PW7EX that was sold with the TH-PT600 tuner and the TY-42TM6H interface card to connect it to the plasma. The TH-PT600 has analog tuner, three scarts (two with RGB, two with S-Video), component, and separate composite and s-video on the front.

The PT600 disables the VGA interface on the TH-42PW7. Does anyone know what happens if there's e.g. separate component or HDMI board on the display, will they be disabled as well?

The PT600 overrides the picture settings and menus from the display. One cannot access the menus from the display without turning off the PT600 unit. Unfortunately the PT600 has much less configuration options (more like a ordinary TV), is there a way to override this, or hidden menus in the PT600 or how can one use the display properly with this unit?

I have a few DVB receivers that would be nice and simple to connect using the RGB SCARTs but for the rest of the use it feels like buying a separate HDMI and component boards would make sense. I'm just wondering if I should dump the PT600 for good (we don't watch analog TV but the PT600 has more interfaces than the display itself could have..).

Petri

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ditch it, you will have 4 inputs on the screen, but witha bit of simple common sense you'll only need 1 or 2.

3. ojala

ojala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of my equipment would work fine using a single component card on the display and my 3805 doing the upscaling if necessary. However I have two DVB boxes that output only Scart RGB and Scart Composite. The PT600 interfaces could accomodate these quite well.

The question still remains what happens if I add the component and/or HDMI interface to the display.

I did some testing yesterday with my DVD Player (963SA), the component output had better resolution but I actually liked the colours on the RGB output through it's scart. There's also some interference on the left side of the screen when using component. Not a serious test though, I was just playing with the setup to see the differences between RGB and component.

Petri

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    ojala

Many hundreds of Plasma owners have had the same dilemma - and luckily there is a simple solution in the form of the JS Technology RGB2YUV converter.

Daisy chain the SCART RGB Outputs of your two DVB boxes (DVB01 TV Output to DVB02 VCR Input) and then add a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter on the end of the chain (DVB02 TV Output to RGB2YUV TV Input) and input the DVB's as another YUV 'Component' input to your AVR-3805.

See http://www.js-technology.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=5ab9085e526a027abff3fc0eaa685cda

When you want to view DVB02 you have that unit On and when you want to view DVB01 you put DVB02 into Standby and DVB01 to On.

Best regards

Joe

PS Definitely ditch the TU-600B :)

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Other boards installed in the panel whilst the tuner is connected will also be disabled. Ditch the tuner. Surprised you preferred the RGB scart from your 963, the 963 has an amazing component video output and the tuner box has useless RGB scart connections (soften the picture somewhat).

I would do component board with component sources and little used SVHS and CVBS sources running through the AV amp (using upconversion in amp for VCR, games consoles etc). Then get a scart switcher for your RGB scart DVB boxes (and RGB scart games consoles, DVDram etc) and run them via a JS Technology RGB to Plasma VGA box into the VGA socket.

6. ojala

ojala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, sounds like there's a common opinion to dump the tuner ;-) If it disables all the other boards, that's enough of a reason to me..

Daisy chaining the RGB sources is a good idea. How do the JS Technology RGB2YUV and RGB2VGA compare with the Aptus2 RGB2UVY? (www.syncblaster.com) I currently run one to the Infocus SP7200 downstairs with one of them (damn the scart STB's).

The reason for the "poor" picture from the 963SA could be the cabling, that could also explain the interference on the left side of the display. The component cabling used to come out from the cabinet to the old plasma and I just pushed it back in for the tuner box. With the previous plasma ('01 Fujitsu) the pq was very good, no complaints there.

Petri