Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

pt100 s/video or component

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neofyda, Feb 4, 2003.

1. neofyda

neofyda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: I have a small problem, I have a pioneer 717 dvd player and a pt100 projector. The pioneer only has s video and no component video out. To get the best out of the system do I
    A/ buy progressive scan dvd player with component out or do I buy a progressive an tv converter and save £300.00
    Please help:confused:

Also any ideas for mounting projector on the ceiling

2. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,175
    It is claimed that a dedicated home cinema PC is the best source for the Panasonic. I run this projector also from a laptop and it definitely is better than s-video from my Pioneer dvd player.

Component with Prog. scan is considered to be a very close second, although I haven't seen one in action myself, so I can't comment on how it compares. But I could be tempted to go this route if it really is that close as it is more user-friendly than a PC.

Hope this helps

3. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    neofyda

I see that we have fairly similar set ups (and that we're neighbours!).

I currently input my Pioneer 535 with RGB into a Panasonic AE100 via a Scart to VGA cable. Picture quality is much improved over S-video (although the Panasonic doesn't have the lowest RGB scanning frequency range and I have the occasional black out).

I purchased the Limit 9900SE player from the MK Richer Sounds (by the train station) and picture quality (progressive scan via component) was much improved again (in the detail on show more than anything else). I took this back because of the noisy transport on the two units I tried but I'm now convinced that progressive scan is the way to go. I'm now just waiting until there's a couple more to choose from!

Don't have any opinion on the converter you mention I'm afraid but you should certainly try the Limit player. Richer Sounds offer a full refund no questions asked so you'll at least get a home demo out of it. Have a search of the forum for details of this player (some like it some don't).

On ceiling mounts, when I was looking at this a number of people seemed to make their own, and so I did too! Again, have a search of the forum - there's even some nice pics to be found.

Regards

Richard

4. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a Pioneer....NV88 I have it connected via Svid to a Pro V......stunning performance from my Panny AE100

5. neofyda

neofyda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys ,:) Useful information I don't think I will go via the pc route as it looks like to much a pain in the arse. So I'm left with either spending £150.-- on a keene electronics progressive scan tv box so I can put the playstation,dvd,tv,sat & dvd through it , it also has a line doubler as well or £500.00 for a new denon 2800 mark 2 and just have progressive scan on the dvds. Well my head is telling me that I could save £350.00 on the add on box or my heart tells me to buy the denon, which is drop dead gorgous
    Thanks
    nigel

PTAE100E, Sony STR_DB930,pioneer 717,Aiwa Video,Mitabushi video,Tannoy centre ,eltac fronts, rel storm sub,eltac bipolar

6. neofyda

neofyda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Walter, Am I being Thick, Please tell me what a Pro V is ?

7. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nigel
    The picture that you will get from prog scan dvd player(2800mk2) is nothing short of amazing you will wonder why you waited so long.
    When doing side by side tests using pro-v and Pal/NTSC prog scan on my 2800mk 1 the 2800 wins hands down.
    SPEND SPEND SPEND

:devil:

The Pro-V is a deinterlacer which rescales too a res of 1248x768, 800x600 or 640x480 and outputs via VGA, it also has a built in TV tuner. check them out on the AV-sales site

8. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Samir ....Yes the Pro V is excellent and also I believe under £100 now

9. neofyda

neofyda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks samir, the one I looked at was by keene electronics,Could I run the denon with this as well so I could watch tv,games etc or would they clash?

10. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use the Pro-V for TV,games etc, and run the denon direct using component.
    It's a worth while upgrade if you watch TV on your pj,

walter
    Yeah got mine for £116 delivered :clap:

11. neofyda

neofyda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers samir its now going to cost me £650.00 £500.00 for the dvd and £150.00 for the pro v , oh buy the way where can I find the av sales to check out the pro v
    :)

thanks nigel

Walter where from where from :zonked:

12. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. neofyda

neofyda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samir,
    If I got the Pro v I can see by the inputs and outputs that a/v source coming out of the unit only supports type d vga connector
    Does this mean I would have to get a ten metre run of this lead + 10 metre run of component as well to go into the back of the pani

14. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nigel
    Yes
    Or you could run a 10m s-video to the pro-v then have a short VGA cable.
    You will need a male to male connection, the cable included is a male to female.

Check out www.vdctrading.com for your component cables I got my 10m set made up for about £40 they use Van Damme cables

So all in paid £20 for 10m S-video, £40 10m com, £5 1m VGA

:smashin: