PT-AX100 in ambient light

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dpua, Apr 29, 2007.

1. dpua

dpua
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone with the Panasonic PT-AX100 comment on how bright it is? Is it usable (even if obviously less than ideal) with a certain amount of ambient light?

Thanks for any comments.

2. SteveAtmos

SteveAtmos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I have a PT-AX100 and find that it is readily watchable with some ambient light, we usually have a floor standing lamp on in the room and the picture is still great.

I have tried watching it during daylight with closed curtains, and the curtains are very light so don't really block out too much of the light, the picture can clearly be seen but it is not ideal. There is a dynamic setting which brightens the whole thing up as well.

One reason I chose this projector was it brightness/lumens, and I would certainly recommend it. My wife and kids were a bit sceptical about a projector but once they saw it in action they thnk it's fantastic especially with Sky HD.

Good Luck
    Steve

3. kevlatimer

kevlatimer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just installed mine at the weekend and was really surprised at how bright it was, even in eco mode. Admittedly, you can't watch it with the blinds open and sunlight streaming in, but I used it all through the weekend with a couple of standlights on and it was great.

4. dpua

dpua
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the replies...one other question, is it reasonably functional with a makeshift screen? I.e. to begin with I may be using it against a white wall or with some boards rather than a proper screen, but I'm reckoning this should be OK given the lens shifts.

5. barnclos

barnclos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    dpua

I was watching a bit of snooker this afternoon with the the light completely blocked off from two sides (walls), blinds down on the third side, and blinds not down on the fourth side (behind). My "screen" is a white painted wall - I need to increase to marketing budget for the screen buying department - and the picture looked absolutely fine (so good, I could see all of the detail of the compression noise from my crummy cable supplier).

I appreciate that snooker is usually well lit, so not the toughest test for daytime viewing, but I have also watched many DVDs (the last being Point Blank, which does have lots of dark scenes) under the same conditions and they too were very good (and without the compression noise).

cheers

Keith

p.s. the difference between normal and eco modes is very small imho - I can only tell the difference by checking in the menu.

6. Dave163

Dave163

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I got a grey screen as I thought I'd be using the AX100 in low light (one standard lamp) rather than total darkness and my lounge is light green walls. But in practice I find I just like to out all the lights when using it - and besides after not so long the lamp looks a bit dimmer now when I first got it, so am finding I now use the Daylight settings with grey screen even with lights out. SLightly surprised as I was hearing the AX100 is a "light cannon" but it's my first PJ so nothing to compare against,.

So my convoluted question really is, if you have a blacked out room with light coloured walls and a grey screen, are you meant to still use the "Dark ("Theater room)" settings or the light ("living room") settings? I presume bulb life is better with the former - I'm using Eco all the time as I can't tell the difference in picture quality or brightness (though in Normal light power the fan is slightly louder!)

Dave