1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pt-ae500 vs plv-z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by G a f f e r, Jan 1, 2004.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    tried out a panny pt-ae300 but had to return it cos it had a dead pixel (i mean, straight outta the box that is pretty lame).
    Anyway, now that I've had time to reconsider, i'm choosing between the Sanyo PLV-Z2 and the Panasonic PT-AE500 (unfortunately cannot afford the gorgeous Sim2 Domino 20).
    Any thoughts?

PS do ALL manufacturers cop out on quality of their LCD products and say that dead pixels are acceptable or is this just panny being useless?

Thanx

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment there is no thought if you want a UK machine, the AE500 is yet some time away. Then the japan one is still language locked but i guess you could get the american one..... but if you asked me, with all that trouble the Z2 is the obvious choice..... its not perfect, but then the views ive read on AVS make me believe that it and the panny are pretty similar.

oh and yes, all manufacturers cop out on the pixels.....

ad

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    thanx,
    apparently the ae500 should come out early Feb according to the Panasonic Shop, I think I can wait that long (who knows, I might get lucky and find the sim2 for sale...)
    PS. I can get the panny 500 from www.pricejapan.com for about £1170 all in. The site also states that everything is in english and not locked to japanese. However, I've already been stung by dead pixel before so I need to try before I buy and will therefore only buy from a shop where I can hook it up first (even if this costs an extra £50 or so)

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, apologies..... i hadnt read that thejap AE500 had been fixed.... it used to be locked. You can pay for a ship back option with them that should hopefully cover you for DP's

ad

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    but having said that (and been used to the v good funcionality and keystone of the panny - i do need bidirectional keystone because the proj will have to sit at a slight oblique angle), I'm also aware that the sanyo keeps dropping in price and may be very much cheaper soon.
    I just can't decide because one isn't massively better than t'other (or is it?).

One of my main considerations is having component and s-video in, and not having any screendoor/chickenwire effect - with both I can sit about 10 feet away max and be able to look at a 6footx3.5foot image)