1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT-AE500 Temperatures

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dgr6966, Oct 13, 2004.

1. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Does anyone know what the 2 temperatures that are displayed under the Self Check option of the Panasonic PT-AE500 service menu are and how they relate to fan speed? I have my PJ partially built in to an enclosure with a fan to extract some of the hot air. A short while after turning the PJ on (maybe 10 or 15 minutes) I notice that the fan speed increases, presumably to cope with an increase in temperature either of the bulb or the case. I would like to prevent this happening if possible so that the PJ runs as quietly as it can.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The temperature sensors usually indicate the air intake temp and the temp around the LCD panels

If you're using a hush box, you need to ensure that you're getting rid of all the hot air, otherwise you'll end up with heat damage to the optics and shorten the life of the pj. You need to make sure that the projector is getting an appropriate supply of cold air and that the hot air is being evacuated in such a way that it's not being recycled into the intake of the pj. If the fan is speeding up it means that the projector is running too hot - if it's happeneing after a while running, then possibly the hot air is being recycled into the projector or the hot air is not being evacuated quickly enough or it's not getting enough cool air at the intake. One way or the other this is definitely not a good idea.... :eek:

S.

3. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspected that it was an increase in temperature that was causing the increase in fan speed but the Self Check screen is still showing the temp status as OK. Do you know what is the limit for the temperature readings to prevent the fan speed increasing from its lowest speed?

4. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is running the projector for longer than the length of a movie likely to compound any possible heat damage? Like many I will be using mine for games too, and would like to be safe in the knowledge that an 'all night sesh' isn't going to damage the projector.

5. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having noticed the fan speed increasing on my PT-AE500 whilst doing some tests on my new home cinema I have been looking at the temperatures in the service menu under different conditions. My PJ is ceiling mounted using a Draper universal mount that is partially recessed into the ceiling so that the projector itself is as close to the finsihed ceiling level as possible. I have created a plenum chamber between the joists so there is space above the projector, about 500mm x 350mm x 225mm. On one side of the chamber I have fitted a 120mm pc fan to exhaust hot air out of the plenum chamber into the space between the floor and ceiling, and on the other side I have fitted a 92mm fan to blow cool air into the plenum chamber. The projector is covered with an mdf box about 125mm deep that I have edged with coving and painted ceiling colour attached to the ceiling using two touch latches. There is an opening of about 250mm for the lens to fire through and to let cool air in. Orginally I only had 1 92mm fan exhausting hot air and it was in this configuration that I noticed the fan speed increase. Today I took some temperatures without the box over the PJ and with the fans turned off. Temp 1 (internal?) settled down at about 84, Temp 2 (air intake?) got down to the mid 160's before the fan speed increased to compensate. It would seem that the first increase in fan speed is triggered by an air intake temperature > 32 Celsius, ie a reading of < 168, which would justify the figures in the manual for surrounding air temperature. Replacing the box and turning on the fans saw Temp 2 rise to 170 and the fan speed dropped to its lowest setting.

It would be good to know what temperatures other people are seeing on their projectors after running for a while. Checking at the end of a film would be good.

Does anyone know what other temperatures trigger an increase in fan speed?

6. busterbee

busterbee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got pictures of your mounting set-up? (I hadn't thought of a coving surround to minimise the missus effect.)