1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT-AE300EC available 2nd April

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mwatson800, Mar 31, 2003.

1. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    According to Nexnix's website

Matt ;)

2. flapcats

flapcats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As soon as ANYONE sees a DEMO model can they post here - rush to an internet cafe for me :)

(either start a new thread or just add it to mwatson800's thread) - I'm this: || close to buying one from nexnix and just need to see it running to confirm.
    I'm in London so if anyone sees one I'm there in a flash...

3. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spoke to the guys at Nexnix, they'll be in by the close of play today.

I believe they are only getting about 30 in the intial batch though, so anyone who wants one soon better be quick.........

4. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    wOOt =) Should have mine by Thursday then! :D

btw. They'd only filled about a dozen of those pre-ordered yesterday, so there's a pretty good chance if you ring them today.

Matt :)

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You are taking into account todays date guys???? Pinch, Salt etc??:D :D

6. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well its 2nd April.........Any news?

Deks

7. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, just had a call from Nexnix and I will be receiving mine tomorrow inclusive of a dead pixel check - WAHEY !!

Will wait until I've received the pj before I comment any more but so far the service from Nexnix has been excellent, I would definitely recommend them.

8. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Same for me, mine is also arriving tomorrow - so far I've been very impressed with Nexnix.

When it comes I'll post inital comments and a review when I've had a good chance to test it out.

Shame my cinema room isnt quite ready for it yet - still a couple of weeks of decorating etc... This will give me a good incentive to get off my backside and sort it out!!!

Now, what DVD should I use to test it, hmmmm - anyone interested in making a suggestion?

:clap:

9. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent!!

I am looking forward to reading your comments/impressions :clap: I t may be time forme to finally bite the bullet.

If possible could anyone tell me what the max and min screen width is with the projector seated 11 ft from the screen

Cheers

Deks

10. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looking at the specs, the throw ratio is 1.39 to 1.66 to 1.

My screen will be 16:9 92" diagonal (80" wide, 45" high).

This means the PJ will have to be 10.5 to 12.5 feet away (approx).

Hope this helps, you'll have to work out in reverse to get the exact screen size from 11 ft away but it'll be fairly similar.

11. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    ditto on getting news from nex... should be here tomorrow... time off has been secured tho screens are still an issue... I will get something and make do for a little while...

12. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Mine's going out on the courier tomorrow! :D

God Bless Lucy at Nexnix!!! *big kiss*

Matt :blush:

13. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks TonyTigerrr,

Out of interest how far is your seating position from the screen?

Is it practical to have your seating position in front of the projector and not be too close to see pixels etc? I'm looking at being sat 9ft away with projector approx 11ft (which from your calcs it would look like me getting an 80" wide screen)

Cheers

Deks

14. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Umm, careful you don't give your work colleague www.nexnix. (instead of www.nexnix.co.uk) cos it brings up a sex site!!!

ROFL!!!
    Matt :D

[Not any more it don't! url edited to protect the young & impressionable here ;) - Kramer]

15. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Deks, 9ft away from that size screen is 1.35 x screen width. Most people on these forums seem to recommend 1.5 x width for screendoor and pixelisation to become a non-issue. Hopefully the Panny300 with its screen-smooth technology will be a bit more forgiving in this regard.

Anyway, because my proper cinema room wont be ready for a little while, the dimensions of room i'll be temporarily using mean I'll be sitting about 9 or 10 feet away so I'll let you know whether the PQ is acceptable from this distance.

Cheers,
    Tony.

16. whipding

whipding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just received an email from digitaldirect.uk.com saying that their PT-AE300's are not in stockm and Panasonic until the end of April. So ive just purcashed a PT-AE100 at £789.93 have a look for yourself!!!

They also said that there wasn't that much difference apart from the big price jump

Whipding ;)

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't that nice. They don't have AE300s so they say they're not much better than the AE100s they happen to have in stock.

Hillarious :rotfl:

18. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My setup is:

Screen: 8ft wide (110" diagonal).
    Projector: 12ft from screen wall mounted.
    Seating: 10ft from screen.

So that's about 1.25x.

Screendoor isn't an issue, the AE-300 doesn't really have any in the traditional sense.

Pixels are starting to become visible at this point (2.5mm wide :) ) but certainly not to the point of becoming distracting.

-- Jon

19. whipding

whipding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So your saying that I shouldnt have purchased this from them, they said I could wait... Should I ring Panasonic to check?

Please advise!

:)

20. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would cancel the order. AFAIK the AE300 is quite a bit better than the AE100. You're being done.....

21. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you've been rushed into a decision by them.

Cancel, and take a deep breath. :)

Whilst it would surprise me if the AE300 is twice as good for twice the price. I think what they've done is out of order. Hopefully soon someone who has seen (or preferably owned both) will be able to do an impartial comparison. Then you can make an informed decision.

-- Jon

22. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    whipding,

I agree with the consensus here - the PTAE-300 is a fair bit better than the AE100. I saw the AE100 when is was selling for £1500 (which was considered a real bargain only a few months ago) and was relatively impressed though was put-off as screendoor / artifacts were evident and it has a fairly cheuqered reliability history.

However, For under £800 it is an absolute bargain. There are lots of happy AE100 owners judging by these forums and extra quality can be squeezed using HTPC and maybe a ProV. There are plenty of people who have already done 100 v 300 comparisions on these forums and AVS.

They're so cheap now I'm tempted to buy both the panasonics (I'm thinking of having one in a games room for watching footy etc.. on), if the AE100 drops to about 600 then I definitely will.

Your choice is whether to go for reasonable quality at a bargain price (AE100) or higher res. smoother picture at a higher (but still VFM) price (AE300). Whatever you choose, if I were you I'd cancel the first order on principle as they told you porkies just to get a sale (there are other sites selling them for similar price).

Nexnix definitely have AE300s in stock if you choose this PJ, mines coming tomorrow - can't wait!!!

23. whipding

whipding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice I have however carried on with my order because I think that it is good for the money I can afford. I checked some reviews of the PTAE100 and just bought the new What Vid mag and its RRP is £2000.00 which I can't afford!

I don't think they were telling white lies because Pana have just confirmed no stock all on back order....

Anyways I'm happy and maybe be able to get a AE300 sometime in the future

:)

24. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about cancelling and getting the Sanyo Z1 for £1250 ? Better quality, more realiable, lens shift and not much more, just a thought................

25. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advise I'm really looking forward to reading your comments when you have it set up.

Deks

26. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    STUNNING! STUNNING! STUNNING!
    I'm soooo impressed!
    Took my AE100 out of my ceiling mount and placed new AE300 in its place (2 min job!) and I'm in a whole new world of projectorland!

Very brief impressions cos would you believe I am going out tonight leaving my new toy all on its own...

Picture is smooth, vibrant and bright
    It digs out detail the AE100 could only dream to find, and thats just from Sky via S-vid!
    A incredible improvement over the AE100 I would say at least twice as good
    The fan set to LOW is almost INAUDIBLE (big improvement on AE100)
    Throwing onto my screen from the fixed ceiling mount gives exactly the same size image as my AE100
    The menus are much the same, with some of the service options available from the main menu this time

More impressions later

BUT I MUST recommend this projector, its a HUGE improvement on the predecessor baby AE100 (which I was really happy with)...Well done Panasonic!!!

Now, where do I find some timing information for PC setup?

27. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now where do you live again!!:D

seriously though, thats excellent news. i should be in the posostion to buy one of these beauties in about 8 weeks.

keep all the analyisis of your new toy comming.

28. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I thoroughly recommend www.nexnix.co.uk too for excellent price and next-day courier service. Inc pixel check.

Just speak to Lucy and say Hello from me!

29. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Walk up to the screen, and you will be be staggered that you can hardly make out each individual pixel!

Gobsmacked!
    Matt :eek:

30. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I too am impressed... I'm new to projectors but have been reading up solidly on it.. I knew what limitations to expect... overal i'm very happy... had it setup temporarily today downstairs... annoyingly it was an ideal setup with the projector between the dinning room and the lounge, with the screen in the dinning room... was able to watch from like 1-2m back from the back of the projector... at this distance you get a similar relationship to the picture as with a normal tv... ie. hardly any lack of sharpness compared to a tv...

The purest blacks aren't as good as a tv... I knew this, and i can live with it... they are nice enough blacks for me so far... glancing over at the family flatscreen 28" panasonic widescreen tv afterwards and its contrast also shouts out with great sharpness over the projector... but it just makes sense.. you are trying to blow the image up by at least a scaling of 4...

Overall tho.. wow... its a veritable cinema experience in a room.. which is what i wanted... this was only connected with a dvd player over RGB scart... interlaced imagery was obvious occasionally... I yearn for it being properly setup in my room, being driven progressively by my computer...

I see no screen door... you can get right up and barely see any gaps between pixels.... i can make out the pixels... up close is not where you want to be with this or any projector... I think i'll be happy at the distance i will have to be when properly setup which is about directly under the lens, or slightly behind it... looking from these points with the setup today I was happy... very rarely did it look too bad.. I dont know if this was the interlaced signal, or my budget screen (a blackout blind) but sitting closer than the projector you do start to appreciate the blown up nature as scanlines can sometimes be seen.. i had it sharply focused... slight defocusing is supposed to help this a lot... to be honest it rarely bothered me.. and the further back you sit... were talking inches at this critical point where i can see it, and it just keeps getting better and better... if at all possible from what i've seen today... if you can mount your projector infront of your viewing position and still get the size screen you want then definately go for it... about a metre back from the projector and the image was nearly perfect... as in it stands up to tv comparisons more easily... the contrast and blacks still less of course but the image consistency just looks like the perfect tv would do... anyways.. rambling.. and got a lot of tidying up to do... the weekend can't come soon enough when i will be able to mount it all up properly and get in some viewing... already got 5 hours lamp usage today i think.. which is a lot :)

To sum up... totally recommended.. its doing everything i wanted so far, and a smile is never far from my face at the moment... I've seen a HS1 and a Sim2 DLP projector previously in a room that wasn't as darkened as it could be... this projector kills the HS1 for screendoor and everything else... and i would say it feels as good as the DLP one did... Up close i thought DLP pixels looked a bit funky.. plus the main thing.. DLP even on that machine killed me... rainbows, and hurting eyes... this has to help.... anyone waiting on getting one, i definately recommend it, and nexnix who have been great so far :)

I took some pictures, and will try to take more in the future but i dont have the camera software uninstalled.. nor do i know if they're any good, the photos that is...