PT-AE200 v PT-AE300

dfield2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Pretty much decided on a PT-AE300 - it appears to be of the best quality and versitility for my budget and requirements, but I've noticed that the 300 usually retails for around £1200 and the 200 can be got for £725.

That's a whopping difference of £475, so is it really worth spending the extra money ?

Cheers
Dave.

300 has a higher native resolution, as well as the much discussed smooth screen technology will elimates screen door effect.

not too sure if the 200 has this.

As an AE300 owner I would say that the smooth screen trickery works. The picture is softer due to this however.

Overall, the 300 is a decent PJ which I am beginning to like more despite having owned it for 5 months.

Still rather have a DLP unit now though. PQ is simply better.

Cap:smashin:

Hi Cap,
The smooth screen technology is what has drawn me to the 300 -
I don't think I could handle watching a film through chicken wire - so I suppose I need to find out if the 200 is as good as the 300 at eliminating it.

I thought I had made my mind up about this PJ, but your comments about wishing you had a DLP have now given me doubts !

I suppose I should try to find out what budget DLP projectors are in the same price range and try to find some info on their performance. This is turning out to be hastle man !

Someone has already suggested the Infocus X1 - can anyone else recomend any budget DLP's ?

Thanks chaps

Yes, please consider the Sharp Z91E,

Locate Kramers review here, posted today I think. I also reviewed it last month or so. A superb PJ that left the 300 trailing in the PQ stakes.

As others here will advise though you will need to demo DLP and see if you can or cannot see excessive rainbow.

Cap:)

There is a link posted around here somewhere which simulates the rainbow effect. Is this purely to explain what the rainbow effect is, or can you use it to check if your eyes are suseptical to it ?

Originally posted by dfield2000
There is a link posted around here somewhere

Is here (from the FAQ).

Purely an explaination (& a good one IMO) but not a test. You'll need to view a DLP for that.

:smoke:

Well....why not wait till the AE500 comes out in the next 2 months? Even if you dont want to buy one, it will surely cut the price of the 300 model down quite abit.

Dan.

Dan, what you say makes sense - but I suffer from a bit of a problem - a total lack of patience - I have to have everything NOW.

I should be getting my annual bonus on Friday and I can't wait to spend it quick enough.

Half of me wants to rush out and get a pt300 - although there is a sensible nagging little voice now which is telling me to investigate budget DLP models.

I one who also generaly makes snap judgements. But, the way i see, the life of any PJ before the next model is so short, so might as well get one when they come out. More expensive granted, but i would just feel better about it. I was also going to get a AE300, but would rather get the AE500, which should only be a little more expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom