1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT AE100E. Whats the truth about PJ's?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LJT, Apr 16, 2003.

1. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know I was glancing through the threads last night. I started to read 'Kramer's 1000 th post' the part where he talks about his latest PJ
    "I DO think it's lost a serious amount of light output though. The screen is different etc.., but I'm not "wowed" by the brightness & CR as I used to be. Before anyone asks - I'm not just "getting over the honeymoon period".

Switching between Cinema black on/off doesn't result in ANY increased light output. The fans do speed up, but the screen doesn't change one iota. Nada, no flicker, nothing.

So it looks like I need a bulb replacement - already"

I went to bed around just after midnight, with Kramers words

"looks like I need a bulb replacement - already" , running through my head. all of a sudden I sat bolt upright and cried

"A £2000 brand new PJ needs a *&^&ing lamp replacement already! What the &^%k is going on".

It's amazing how easy it is to brainwash suckers like us!
    My previous PJ a Philips Hopper SV 10, gained my interest precisely because of the claim of a 4000 hrs lamp life. Of course when I eventually checked with their maintenance contractors down in Hampshire, they inform me

" well the 4000 hrs is a bit of a extravagant claim. That's why not one manafacturer offers a warranty that covers the lamps projected (pun intended) life"

The Hopper's light output was down severely at 2500 hrs. At that point I was fortunate enough to sell the thing!

So I umm and ahhh, and think okay, the panny 100 £800 can't go wrong 5000 hrs lamp life. Yet now I begin to read that this is a totally OT claim as well!.

Now when I look at the cost of my HSV10 over three years ago, at £2200 and the fact I get £200 on it's recent sale. That equates to approx £ 2000 over 3 years. That means 83 pence an hour to watch the thing. Now if we compare one of the plasma screens 42-50 inch at £4000 and around a lifespan of 30000hrs we get a very crude figure of 13 pence an hour!!
    As they say over on AVS "go figure". As plasma's should get even cheaper and yet last far longer I know where my next purchase will probably lay.

But I digress in the spirit of comparison. The fact that all of us accept that PJ's will cost us a personal fortune, will not last long, will continuely present failure issues and will eventually will be harder to give away than 'herpes' leads me to recall a classic Manfred Mann track, from way back in the 70's.

"Blinded by the light"

What Mugs we are

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure are....I have just designed a system that uses 11 Channels of 3 chip DLP projectors. The system is running nearly 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week. To keep the show at the optimum the bulbs need to be changed every 1000 hrs or so thats just over 3 months and each bulb is just about 3K, thats 33 bags of sand every 3 months..how's that for maintenance bills!!

3. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you won't get a 100" diagonal image on a plasma!

4. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is in several parts.

The first section:

There is literally nearly a 100 'PT AE100E.' owners out there.using this group. Covering a period of well over a year. What I'd like to know is this.

Has your picture quality sustained itself?
    Is it as good now as the day you purchased the thing?

I feel that mine after 120 hrs is possibly starting too lose it's sparkle. you know the feeling. When new, you skip through the channels everything looks so good, you want to stop and gawp at the sheer intensity of image quality. Then slowly and seemingly imperceptibally your desire to stop at any channel starts to dissolve-only the good looking ones hold your attention.
    Then before you know it your fiddling with the picture controls- is the brightness? is it the contrast?. Maybe I need a new (expensive)cable. I know , I need to go component as opposed to s-video ect ect.....

So simply. Please report on your panny 100E and the story of its picture consistency. Is it still as good?

Now secondly theres's a current post from 'themmings' about the sense or logic in buying a PJ. there's also a response by 'Calibose' in which he talks about the sheer magic that's in such a large image that PJ's can give you.
    The awe and shock aspect is now gone. The days when we marvelled at the fact, that we could in our living rooms , produce a large image are now over. What we want now is longevity, image consistency and reliability.

I posted recently "what mugs we are" there was 1 reply to that post. Yet all the news and views on PJ's is based on the device when its in it's first period of use. Kramer just recently reported that his new Sony probably needed a new lamp already?
    This is outrageous. We've been basically so much in awe that we've allowed all reasoning to gurgle down the plug-hole of suckerdome.

I'll tell you what, if anyone wants to buy my ****************************** its yours for **** quid. The penny's (and plasma prices)dropped for me. The whole thing is bleeding ridiculous.
    How can you compare 30000 hrs of eventually fading brightness to 2000 hrs (in Kramers case 200 hrs) of fading brightness, fadingbrightness, increasing green tinge image due to increasingly dirty optics, massive cleaning bills topped up with spectacular unreliability.

I'm really begining to feel that there are some manafacturer stooges on this site!

[Eqipment for sale must be advertised on the relenant forum here - Kramer

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LJT.

Any equipment you may be selling needs to be advertised in the For Sale forums ;)

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well over 150 AE100 owners noe IIRC ;)

I cannot agree. IMO the vast majority of "protaganists" here are just normal projector (loving) users.

OK, projectors aren't for everyone with throw ratio issues, screen issues & noise issues, but the overwhelming opinion is there's no comparison between a 7' or 8' image & a (lowly) 42" picture from a plasma display.

Each to their own but I think you're several years from a unit that satisfies your requirements. Maybe a plasma display would be more suited to your environment, but bulb issues aside (which I'll resolve in due course) I'd never go back to viewing on a small screen.

All this comes from a former owner of 2x AE100s, which I still believe to be a breakthrough unit with regard to image quality & price. I'd certainly never have upgraded to a WXGA projector had it not been for the AE100.

Best of luck with the sale & new plasma ;)

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    LJT:

You posted on 7 April (14 days ago)

You seem to have had a remarkable change of heart in the space of two weeks. Now you ask:

Answer: Yes.

Nope, now at 750 hrs, as bright and colourful as ever, and all the better for running thru HCPC.

Yip, Calibos has it just right.

Who's "we" ? Shock and awe aspect intact here.

I have them - what's actually wrong with your AE100 ??

There's over 150 AE100 owners declred on the forum, and plenty of others on HS10s, AE300s, HT1000 etc. Does the fact that you got only one reply to that thread tell you anything ??

"we" again ? I'm assuming that you read about projectors here (or elsewhere) before you bought yours. Their foibles and weaknesses are well known and I for one bought mine with both eyes open. All projectors have issues of one sort or another. If a person feels that this technology is not for them, then they shouldn't get into it.

It's clear from your posts that you are unhappy with having a projector. That's fine - a choice you made turns out not to suit you. If you actually had problems with the reliability/performance of your AE100, most here would offer you sympathy and advice, as you will have seen in previous posts.

Turning what turned out to be a poor personal choice for you into a diatribe against projectors, including insulting remarks about the people who own them.....

........is unlikely to yield understanding, certainly none from me.

I wish you well in whatever you choose to watch your movies/tv/etc. on - It's a pity you couldn't find the manners to offer the same sentiment to this forum.

Sean G.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Identical (pretty much) threads merged.

:smoke:

9. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would add that if you're watching Sky on your projector (via S-Video presumably) then I wouldn't expect any kind of quality image anyway. Garbage In = Garbage Out.

My own preference is that I watch movies and play games on my Panny, and save the sky for the smaller screen . That way I also don't become "overly familiar" to the large screen experience and so hopefully the wow-factor will remain with me as long as possible.

10. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my AE100 for a month or two and I'm very happy with it. Yes, I was slightly cautious about the reliability issues some seem to be having, but as I got it for £600 from Robert Whyte, and as I sold my Hitachi widescreen TV for £600...well, for me it was a no brainer. In fact, I couldn't actually say I had a home cinema until I got the projector. It changes everything, and I personally I'm grateful to Panasonic for driving the cost of 16:9 projectors right down simply by bringing this product onto the market...

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, I have to say that whilst still in the 'honeymoon' period with my TW100 (hardly :D ) I have been watching quite a bit of Sky with mine upconverted from S-Video (Sky+) to component. The image quality continues to astound me particularly as I know how poor Sky can often be. I certainly think it looks better on the pj than on my 50" plasma but that could likely be the difference between Sky+ and TiVo also.

Watched some rubbish last night (Replicant with JCVD :confused: ) and I must say the image quality was (IMO) almost as good as a DVD. And this was using the built-in DCDi processing.

I can only hope I continue to be awed by it for a long time to come. I will add however, that I think if someone watches everything on the 'big screen' then the Wow factor is bound to diminish slightly over time as it becomes the norm. Whereas if you watch the small screen (TV, plasma - in relative terms) for normal viewing and keep the 'big screen' for 'special occasions' (films, sports events) then it should maintain much, if not all, of it's original brilliance.

All just my opinions of course :D

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    My AE100 is now at 1030 hours, and the only differance I can see is the brightness of the image not being as good, but this is down to me fitting the FLD filter to improve colours. I know i could always remove it, but once you have used the filter you just don't want to go back to not using it.

Maybe someone with a Light metre could keep tabs on the light output on a blank screen on thier projector over several months, to see if there is any drop in brightness.
    just an idea :)

13. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Several points.

I did go OT last night(sorry all)

In response to Theritz. Yes it the panny has been beautiful to behold. I just feel that mine has started to go off, just a little (as Kramer said about his H10 and the lamps brightness) .

As I said when you first get the thing and you've settled on the settings you then just sit back in wonderment. Then slowly as the weeks go by you begin to think Emm.. it's not as good as last night, was it the channel? is it Sky etc etc - you then start to fiddle with settings (in my case I'm using the iScan pro which gives you further tweakability).

By now you're thinking -blimey where was I?- you gradually go back the the initial settings and again feel that it's not as good. So the paranoia sets in.

So Ritzy I became anxious about what the future may hold not that the panny's image had become that bad over night. I just felt that 'here we go' you've seen it at it's best and it's all downhill rapidly from now.

There's been so many reported problems with reliability, colour stainings and even warranty issues! that paranoia seems perfectly rational.

This is my third PJ the difference being now the rising quality and price fall of the plasma's V's hopefully the improvement of the PJ's.
    Now when you see claims of 4000 lamp life hrs (as in my Philips Hopper sv10) and you are then informed "well don't read to much into that claim" by Philip's maintenance people. You then start to think.. Hold on how reliable is the Pannys claim of 5000hrs?.
    Another issue around the Panny's lamp, was the claim (read it in one one of the HC mags) of a replacement cost of £150.00 yet no one seems to know where?.

Okay I've ranted and railed for too many post now about PJ's reliabiliy, claims and consistency of performance. That's it. no more for a while.

Kramer has kindly told me where to put my proposed sale(ouch)

Finally. Now admittedly I should have just asked whether owners of the panny or any PJ felt the perfomance was still the same or had deteriorated. Which some have and that makes encouraging reading