1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT-AE100E, imprinting on the LCD matrix

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ]mush[, Nov 8, 2004.

1. ]mush[

]mush[

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas, contacts etc?

Had loads of friends round the other day and they were all playing with the projector ( bought it may 2002 ). It got left on the a DVD menu screen for about at an hour. I went in and turn off the screen and noticed that DVD menu options had been burnt onto the LCD itself!!
    turned it off and checked it the next morning and it had dramatically reduced
    but still there if you look for it. Just to top it off, there is also new colour bleeding on the screen, a red colour in the top-left and bottom-right, green in the bottom-left and top-right! This was not their before either so I am at the assumption that the problem is related to the screen burning.

GUTTED

1) has anyone had an issue like this before ? and if so was it the LCD matrix that was at fault?
    2) If it was at fault, can anyone provide me with a contact number of how to source a replacement LCD matrix (I can probably fix this myself I think)
    3) Any one have an idea how much it would cost for the is replacement part.
    4) Does anyone expect this to happen to a LCD projector it has been left on a menu screen for 1 hour? ( FYI, the DVD was Starwars AOTC)

I guess most peeps would just say go and buy a new projector as the AE100E is getting on a bit and there are so many nice new toys, its just that I am really strapped for cash and have to pick the the cheapest option, therefore I would really appreciate any help that your guys give me here...

thanks

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
  3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Yes, not commonly know is that LCD can also suffer from screenburn or as the LCD manufacturers call it, 'Burn-in'. Because LCD uses a transmissive rather than DLP's reflective technology. The light passes through the lcd panels and can burn through them with a high enough concentration.
    The red staining is a similar problem caused over time by the light burning usually the blue filter first which strengthens the red filter causing the red to dominate the image and can only really be corrected by a new blue lcd panel which is quite costly, but certainly achievable. Contact Panasonic's web site for availability and cost of these blue lcd panels.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    mush,

Sorry to hear that you have problems.... you might find that the "persistence" that's marking your image could fade with further use... I use a pc which has a sleep mode so if it's left unattended for a break the screen goes blank, so the problem doesn't arise.

Oakleyspatz,

There's lots of news there... Could you explain a little further, would also help if you could tell us whether your advice comes from personal/professional experience.

I've come across blue polariser damage, but it usually results in yellow staining, not red, and mush is suggesting red staining in one corner and green in the opposite crner which usually indicates colour uniformity problem - can be caused by warping or vertical mis-alignment in the optics... Replacing a blue polariser is straightforward, but polariser damage doesn't automatically mean replacement of the LCD panel. I'd be interested to see where availablilty of replacement LCD panels for projectors is covered on Panasonics website - hadn't come across that before......

Sean G.

5. ]mush[

]mush[

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your feedback.

I have checked out the Panasonic web page and there spares are quite limited i.e. replacement remote or bulb, power cord etc so internal parts are probably a no go for a domestic purchase. Looks like I will have to go through a registered repair centre, :-(
    I checked the screen burn today and yes, it seems to be retarding so this is good news!
    However the colour bleeding is still present in the corners so I guess the two issues are not related. I must of just picked up on it when I checked out the screen burn issue, as the colour bleeding is discrete ( but now I see it, now it bugs me syndrome!).
    Anyone have an idea how the colour bleeding could have happened? Does anyone believe it could be due to overheating and hence possible warping? or given a nasty knock?
    I appreciate all the responses.

thx

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

As the other posters have suggested, the LCD burn in will almost certainly fade in time.

The colour shift in the corners is most often caused by the dichroic colour filters overheating. This is a common problem - usually the blue filter is the worse affected.

They are usually fairly easy to replace.

Steve

BTW, I think you were underestimating how easy it is to change an LCD panel. The alignment required is measured in microns and I don't believe it's possible without the manufacturers alignment rig.