PT-AE1000 Price Crash

i will take a look 2moro for you i work for a company that sells these although we are onky ment to sell to trade i will take a look

Just ordered mine!

IMO this PJ was always overpriced in the UK hence it never sold very well. Most people bought from either Europe or HK.

For ages the RRP for this PJ was £3500, then it was slashed to £2500. It was like Panasonic UK had never heard of the HC5000, VW50 and HD-1.

I would of bought one of these 2/3 months ago at this price without hesitation, now I'd rather wait for a LCOS based machine.

As I've said previously with this PJ, the price stayed too high for too long.

Well I paid about £200 more than that, but I've been enjoying mine for the last 7-8 months. Also, if I hadn't committed the money back then, it may have found it's way towards some other DIY fund instead.

Thankfully I didn't pay the £3,500 retail price though.:eek:

spoke to lady at roy jowett who said that they are getting rid of the ptae1000 to make way for the new model in a month or so- the ptae2000. Had a wee look at press release and seems to be a bit brighter at 1500lumens vs 1100 of the old model. also seems to have a new lens system and a 'detail clarity processor' amongst other things. She thought the rough retail would be around 2500 pounds. Wonder if it is worth holding off a wee bit longer to check out the new model? ..................always something bigger and better round the corner though!:D

paid just under £1450 for mine and have had 6 months very happy viewing from it in the meantime.

i

for a pt-ae1000 you paid 1450? where from? ex-demo or new? that's cheap.
post the link if poss please.

goose

Have been looking at a replacement for my Z2 for a little while, had demos of the Z5, pt-ax100, hd-73, in-78 and the pt-ae1000, for the price it's at now the pt-ae1000 is a bargain. only the in-78 came anywhere near the picture quality, imho, and that of course isn't 1080p. it also wins on flexibility of positioning, set up and db level (although the 100 and Z5 are around the same). The warranty period is also excellent. i'm going to stop typing and go and buy one..........

If you were looking at the Infocus pj why not also get a demo of the Optoma Themescene HD80? It's around the same price as the Panasonic.

yeh, I did have a quick look, however with my room dimensions/screen size I would struggle to make it fit. The Panasonic gives me the flexibility I need.
Also, having seen the picture of my friends hd73, I didn't actually think the hd80 was any great improvement,if any at all, may be it's the dc3 on the hd73 vs the dc2 on the hd80? don't know, but the hd 73 is a great picture for the money (under 1000 now).

yeh, I did have a quick look, however with my room dimensions/screen size I would struggle to make it fit. The Panasonic gives me the flexibility I need.
Also, having seen the picture of my friends hd73, I didn't actually think the hd80 was any great improvement,if any at all, may be it's the dc3 on the hd73 vs the dc2 on the hd80? don't know, but the hd 73 is a great picture for the money (under 1000 now).

Surely the 1080p resolution would have been more noticable than DC2/DC3? Where did you demo it?

Surely the 1080p resolution would have been more noticable than DC2/DC3? Where did you demo it?

No. Resolution is the least important element to overal picture quality. Contrast, black level and colour accuracy are far more important which is why the DC3 machine probably looked better.

No. Resolution is the least important element to overal picture quality. Contrast, black level and colour accuracy are far more important which is why the DC3 machine probably looked better.

Understood.

The reason I was asking about the demo was around source material used. It would be interesting to understand if they saw native 1080p material on the HD80...

As Took my XE1 for a demo with the HD80 yesterday. Along with King Kong and batman Begins in HDDVD and Lord of the Rings in SD. I thought that the picture quality was very good in HDDVD, but I wouldn't be as generous re the SDDVD.

Overall, the picture just seemed to miss that "pop" that I was expecting. TBH I only had half an hour and could have done with a few more PJ's to compare it to. So I'm still not decided.:confused:

creative audio shrewsbury

Thanks for that. I assume the XE-1 was connected by HDMI? If so, on SD-DVD did you let the player do the upscaling or the pj?

Yes connected by hdmi via an Onkyo 805 to the PJ. I presume the XE1 was doing the upscaling, as I asked him to play the same scenes from ROTK on their Denon (2930 I think) and there wasn't much in it at all. I have to be fair here, as I didnt have that much time to have a good mess around and I did put the SD DVD on after having viewed the HD stuff. From a decent seating the position, the scenes that I watched (Aragorn first viewing the pirate ships after leaving that ghost mountain and the Orc army attacking the main gates of Minas Tirith using that big firey battering ram) did look good. My overall feeling is that it didn't quite live up my expectations, but I would like to go and hava another look, with more time at hand.

Thanks for the detailed view, much appreciated.

If SD-DVD is going to be a large percentage of your viewing, make sure that you get the XE-1 set to 1080p upscaled output to see what it's capable of.

Cheers, though I always do and did have it set to 1080p :)

I have never actually read anything from Optoma which states that the HD80 uses DC2 or DC3 for that matter.
The HD81 uses DC3 and some people on avs forums claim that the HD80 has better contrast and black levels than the HD81.
I watched Phantom of The Opera last night on HD DVD using my Toshiba XE-1/HD80 and the sharpness, clarity and richness of the image amazed me. I can't imagine any PJ matching this quality at this price.

viewed the hd80 Lincoln, used both sd and hd players, hdmi (ixos), onkyo 605 amp, blacked out cinema room.
not saying the hd 80 is a bad machine, just that for me personally the hd 73 looked as good via sd as the hd80, and the improvement was hardly noticeable via hd on the hd80. if you want 1080p though it is worth a look, but again the pt ae1000 edges it for me for the reasons given below.

demo, demo, demo and erm......demo again?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom