1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT-AE100 : why so excited?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Jan 27, 2002.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Jan 27, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm looking at several cheap projectors, and this is now on my list, due to the interest it has generated on the AVSforum.

But why are people so excited about it?

Sure, its got a true 16:9 LCD panel, but that isn't exactly revolutionary when you consider that its resolution is almost the same as a 4:3 800x600 panel in 16:9 letterbox mode. If you watch 4:3 stuff you'll actually have lower resolution.

Other than that, and the (hopefully cheap price) I don't know whats so special.

I demoed the Sony Cineza at the weekend and it was very nice. Not great contrast, and some visible line structure though - although thats probably par for the course at this price.

Trying to get a demo of the Sanyo PLV30, but only Richer sounds locally stock it, and they don't have demo facilities. My panasonic dealer will let me take home a PT-AE100 for an audition, so that'll hopefully be next weekend (although I don't have a white wall, or a screen)