PT-AE100: switch it off or leave it on?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    If I decide to stop watching TV/videos/DVDs through my Panasonic AE100 for, say, an hour, and then return, which is better for the life of the bulb: to switch into standby or to leave the projector running?

I know about the AE100's "shutter" setting, but that doesn't extinguish the bulb, merely blots it out.

I'm sure I've heard that the biggest strain on the bulb (and the PSU?) comes at switch-on. So - which is better in the long run? Standby or leave on?

Thanks.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,767
    Normaly I would suggest switch it off to prolong lamp life, but as the lamps are quite cheap for the AE100, it may not seem such an issue. Though I think the longer running will have a greater detremental effect over an hour, than just switching it on.

So, personaly I would switch off.

Gary

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Gary, many thanks for the thoughts. Now I'll wait for someone to do what normally happens in these forums and say the exact opposite... (g)

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I'd put it into standby m8.

The concerns you may have about strain on the bulb and PSU are less of a factor coming back from standby than they are from the main power switch on the back.

It is the PSU which comes under strain when it gets the surge of electricity from the mains. The power you add when you come out of standby should be much more regulated.

5. StJonno

StJonno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo of this proj at the weekend, and if my memory serves me correctly (which it rarely does!) , the sequence for power up is:-

1.Turn on switch at the back (two red LED's come on, PSU probably stabilising)
    2. One LED ges out the other turns green (?)
    3. Press 'Power' button on top of unit
    4. Lamp goes through startup routine

My point is, either turning the unit on from the main switch, or turning on from standby shouldn't make any difference as before the lamp will power up, stages 1&2 above must have been completed, either when the projector was first powered up , or having been restarted from standby. The power consumption in standby is quoted as 0.7 watts, which makes me think the main PSU for the lamp is probably not powered up anyway, so I would be very suprised if either method of start up is any better or worse than the other. what do others think?