1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT- AE100 In stock !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ekko Star, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    This maybe of interest for all those people who are tired of waiting !!!

http://www.gultronics.co.uk/og/index.html

Found this site and they have the latest models in stock at a VERY good price £1239 + £10 delivery.

That is the cheapest I've seen & I paid £1300 for mine !

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Errr, there don't seem to be any Panasonic projectors listed in the projector page of the site....:confused:

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,401
    God that website is a mess ! If the owner is reading this, contact me and I'll put you something together which will entice people to buy from you a little more :)

4. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I sent a mail, this was the response :-

thank you for your interested,
    we have to inform you that we have limited stock,
    comes with 1 year warranty, we don't do dead pixel
    check, but if something wrong you can bring it back to
    us and we will send it to Panasonic for repairing
    you can order it from our web site, delivery charge is

Hmm don't think I'll bother, I stick with discount tv..

HEADRAT

5. md2

md2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their English may not be 100% and their website may be shabby, but they are respectable. They've got BIG showrooms on both Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street in London, and have been around since the 1960's.

I've bought lots of stuff of them, including the AE100.

6. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone actually had on DELIVERED from these guys yet?

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    As far as website design goes, IMHO I would much rather buy from a good store with a dodgy website than a dodgy store with a good website.

Book and cover springs to mind........

Call me cynical but if some internet suppliers are having difficulty finding stock. What would happen lets say if they get 10 faulty returns in one go demanding replacements and at the same time they have a waiting list of 20 or so new buyers? Errrrr let me think about that one......and it's not like that's an unlikely scenario right now either !

And what's easier to flog off, a bloke on the phone or an irate bloke standing in front of you ?

However if other people prefer it the internet way (and it's obvious by some of the waiting lists here on this forum) then I guess you might as well do it the "get the cheapest bloody internet option".

I can't vouch for Discount TV or Gultronics as I haven't used either website but when i go to this page http://www.discounttv.co.uk/_projectors.htm, all I get is a blank page with no price or any info on the PJ whatsoever ? So in all honesty I think both sites are about as informative as the other.

As far as pixel check, well that's a whole different debate....and i somehow doubt that Panasonic lets companies like these pixel check every PJ before it ships out to them. So how in that case some people can expect to have every box opened & checked for perfection and then ONLY want to pay bottom dollar for it is beyond me ???

Anyway do I care ? I got mine thanks, and no I didn't request a pixel check, only an unopened box. FYI it was perfect anyway. If cheap & reputable is what you're interested in, I ain't seen it cheaper than the £1239.

:rolleyes:

8. md2

md2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my AE100 from the Gultronics store in Tottenham Court Rd a week ago. I paid £100 more than what they're now advertising through their website!

I had a problem with the remote control so they sent it back to Panasonic for a replacement and I picked it up yesterday (surprisingly quick turnaround given the shortages of the product - only 1 week!). When I picked up the new remote, I asked them about the price and why I had paid more and whether I could get a credit note for the difference. Unfortunately not. They say the price only applies when buying through the website and the waiting time is at least 2 weeks. Apparently, for website orders, they order from Panasonic. The units in stock are reserved for people who come into the store, but they pay a little more for the convenience of being able to take the unit then and there. Fair enough, I suppose.

Of course, with something as unreliable as the AE100, I'd always prefer to buy from a store - it's such a hassle returning stuff via courier, etc.

9. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Even if I wanted to (and I don't) I can't actually find a way to order the AE100 via their website.. !!

<edit>
    They have now changed their website so you can :)
    <edit>

HEADRAT

10. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just to clear this up...........

Quote : "Call me cynical but if some internet suppliers are having difficulty finding stock. What would happen lets say if they get 10 faulty returns in one go demanding replacements and at the same time they have a waiting list of 20 or so new buyers? Errrrr let me think about that one......and it's not like that's an unlikely scenario right now either !"

Internet suppliers are not the only ones having problems with stock! In fact EVERY net retailer that deals direct with Pana WILL have a high street presence as Panasonic will not deal with anyone who doesn't! Before the whole waiting list thing happened in such a big way I had a customer with faulty a AE100, Icould have sold the replacement 10 times over but instead replaced the faulty one, the guy then came back and bought a big Denon amp and a few other bits, moral, like Used car salesmen, Net dealers cannot be lumped together, they are all individual, some good and some bad! Why would a net dealer be less willing to exchange than a shop with 20 on its waiting list?

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    @md2

Actually out of curiosity I also rang them today to check them out & see if they had this in stock or not !

I was told if ordered over the web or ordered over the phone stating I had seen it on the web special they would deliver it guaranteed within 10 days (2 weeks) as that's how long this offer was for. If I came into the store they have machines there in stock now but at a premium price.

Sounds like Panasonic UK are being very discretionary with which of their dealers get priority or ahold of their limited stock let alone dealing with returns. So in that light you're right these guys must be pretty big & reputable.

Failing/stuck pixels are a trait of LCD Projectors, they could go at any time, so even if your machine is perfect right now, or even when the supplier ships it to you, it may not be the very next time you switch it on !! After all they do a check on them before the PJ leaves the factory. That's why I think pixel check is a bit of a fallacy really. If you ain't prepared to accept that or you get hung up on that fact then LCD is probably not for you to begin with.

I think the bottom line to remember with this machine is, is it worth all that flaffing around to save a few quid at the expense of a proper decent back-up service ? I know £12-1300 is a lot of money for some people but it really is peanuts in terms of this PJ. What you think you save you may well end up paying a lot more in courier costs in the longer run & not only that, banging these sorts of machines around in the post is not the best of ideas.

Anyway, hope everyone who's waiting gets there's soon cos it's a lovely machine to have.

:)

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    @ benji_m

I have never used you & from what I have read on the forum you have a "quality seal of approval". My comments were not directed to you or your company.

Though I am fully aware a lot of net companies can & DO operate unscrupulously. Whatever you say, you cannot get away from the fact dealing with a problem customer over the phone is far easier than a problem one in the middle of your shop.

Good internet/mail order suppliers are hard to find and that's why recommended ones get the attention and get commended for it.

I just feel with this particular product that people should weigh up the after-sales policy as well as the purchase price and bear it all in mind.

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    LCD panels rarely develop additional failed pixels after manufacture: any dead or faulty pixels normally occur when the panel itself is manufactured: some manufacturers have a lower acceptability tolerance for dead pixels in their products than others.

Panasonic seem quite good in this regard.