1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT-AE100 image size/throw

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'm very new to the idea of using a projector, but have been much impressed with all the favourable comments on the Panasonic AE100.

This is very much a beginner's question, but I've not seen the answer spelled out anywhere: does this model project a fixed-size image, or does it have a zoom facility (either digitally or optically)?

I reckon I can accommodate a 6 foot wide screen. What would be the ideal projector-screen distance for an image that size?

Many thanks in advance.

Bert Coules

www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    does this model project a fixed-size image, or does it have a zoom facility (either digitally or optically)?

It has both, but you will only use the optical zoom.
    A 6ft wide image at a rough guess would be at about 3.3 metre's.

3. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Bert,

What you need to do is head over to

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection_calc.cfm

and select the Panasonic and you can type in the value you have to determine the unknown. So for a 6" wide screen you'll need to be 8" back.

Cheers,
    Matt

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks to Timh and Matt for the speedy replies. I didn't know about ProjectorCentral, which is clearly a very useful site.

An 8 - 10ft throw sounds manageable for my situation. I must say, I'm extremely tempted...

One more question, if I may. Do you projector owners find yourselves using the big-screen setup to watch *all* your day-to-day TV, or only for special-event-type viewing? I suspect that the need for a pretty full blackout makes switching on just for a casual channel-surf a bit of a hassle - or am I wrong?

Thanks again.

Bert

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    My purchase was just for dvd viewing, how wrong I was, it now get's used every night, I am about to watch smallville on the PJ, it's only composite for now from my digi box but it's great.
    My Mrs now insist's in watching Friend's, ER, Ally Mcbeal and what ever other show's she like's.
    It's a good job the Lamp life is 5000 hour's :)

P.S I have since fitted blackout curtain's (summer's coming)

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Tim,

Once again, thanks for the reply.

With regard to the curtains, am I right in thinking that a near-perfect blackout is really necessary for a good picture? I notice that your screen is called a "Da-Lite" which I presume means "Daylight" - does the screen material help in giving a decent image in lighter conditions?

Sorry for all the questions.

Bert

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Bert

You need to get your room as dark as possible with the Da-lite screen. You also need to get the walls ceiling and floor as dark as possible, to avoid light reflection's from the PJ, You would be surprised how light the room can get with certain scene's in film's.
    I have magnolia wall's and ceiling, it is still watchable, but I would like to get the wall's darker the next time I decorate.

There is no need to apologise here, this Forum is all about helping people out.

8. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Tim,

I was hoping that a "Da-lite" screen would be so called because it gave a watchable picture even in daylight. Obviously not!

I recall from my 8mm movie days that certain types of screen surface gave a brighter picture, but at the expense of a restricted viewing angle - rather like a projection TV. A glass- beaded surface was the brightest of all, I think.

Are there similar surfaces available for LCD projection? If not, what is the most common type of screen in use? Just a flat, matt white (or grey?) surface?

Thanks for the reassurance about asking questions - I'm very aware that at the moment I'm not in a position to return the help I'm getting.

Bert

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Bert

Yes, you can get glass beaded screen,s and grey one's, but the grey screen's are very expensive, you are talking 4 figure's.
    I payed £255 for my Da-lite modelb 203cm x 114cm in matt white with an extra 12" drop added.
    Click here and then click on the link's for reading up on differant screen surfaces and pricing.

Good Luck

10. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Tim,

Once again, thanks for a very helpful response.

Bert

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't mind doing a tiny weeny amount of DIY then checkout B&Q for some MDF and ICESTORM 5 paint, makes LCD's blacks very good and you can always buy a small can/small piece of MDF to test out before you spend a lot of money on a screen.

Do a search for ICESTORM and MDF on these forums, theres plenty of people who use this type of screen for the princely sum of about £25 quid + say £40 to £60 for nice velvet if your buying a 4:3 projector to watch 16:9 films and the results are fab

12. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'm currently single-handedly renovating my bungalow so I'm not averse to a bit of DIY. Thanks for the info about the paint.

Bert