1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT-AE100 flickering then shut down after ~1 min "HELP"

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DavidPeat, Sep 19, 2005.

1. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have a Panny PT-AE100E which is nearly 3 years old but has only got ~450 hours on it (all on low power). It is ceiling mounted so doesn't get moved around any.

Turned it on tonight and by the time I'd got the bottle of wine open and back to the living room - no picture - disaster - had Sin City up and spinning and ended up watching 'Waking the Dead' on TV instead :boring: .

Tried again and saw that the lamp was igniting but that for a couple of minutes the picture was alternating between normal and low brightness. Flickering once a second or so, sometimes speeding up or slowing down. During this time a noise not dissimilar to a CD-drive trying to track a dodgy CD is made. After a minute or two, it seems to give up and turns the lamp off.

Now I have worked with arc lamps in the past and it did kinda sound like a repeated attempt to fire the lamp.

During this time, the Power LED is green and the TEMP and LAMP LEDS are OFF.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem and could tell me what's up? Obviously I suspect the lamp needs replacing but I would like some confirmation that this is the problem before shelling out £200+ on a new lamp.

If it needs a lamp, where's the cheapest source of PT-AE100 replacement lamp units these days?

Cheers
    David

2. thescoobydoc

thescoobydoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi David,

£220.19 inclusive, with next day delivery,for a new lamp from www.avprojectorlamps.com.

Hope that helps.

3. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks - that was about as good as I have found in the UK as well. The absolute cheapest seems to be from PriceJapan.

Unfortunately, it seems as though this is not a lamp problem but probably a ballast fault - see this thread

Does anyone know this for sure? Anyone ever identified the part required for a DIY fix? Is this the same as the legendary Panny PSU fault?

Cheers
    David

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    David,

That's the ballast, not the lamp, from the symptoms you've described. The "Red LED of Death" issue with early AE100s was a complete PSU failure - a different issue to the one you describe. Replacement Ballasts from Panasonic are pretty pricey, can't recall how much exactly, but not an economic proposition, iirc.

You can get it repaired - try Elite Visuals (http://www.elitevisuals.co.uk/) - the guy in question is a member here - you could do a search on that name.

Sean G.

5. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You could always try asking Panasonic to fix it for free. You've got good grounds to claim it is a manufacturing fault and hence the pj is not fit for purpose (after the number that have failed in the same way including mine (twice)). Suggest your local trading standards office may be interested in having a chat with them if they won't help...

6. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I got in touch with my local authorised service centre and they agree that it is the igniter. They say they will just return it to Panasonic and said the last one they had fixed was 'well over £200'.

I've downloaded the service manual and identified the parts. I could get the igniter from Panasonic US for ~$55 but that would involve soldering it onto the board. Not sure if that's wise considering the voltages involved and the standard of my soldering. (Part # is G4F3E0000001 for those that are interested).

The whole replacement sub-assembly (#TXANPBQVJJ3) can be got from them for $262 so I have asked them if they are okay shipping to the UK.

I'll let you know how I get on.

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David, How old is your Panasonic AE100? The SOGA gives you statutory rights (nothing to do with warranty). These rights persist for a reasonable period of time.This PSU problem is a known fault of the AE100 and certainly should be repaired free of charge. Personally I would seek to ensure this was fixed within my statutory rights at no charge to me. You may prefer to settle for an easier life and pay the Repair bills yourself but if you do need any assistance on this feel free to ask me.

8. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My PTAE100 was 3 years old. I understand what you are saying but I am going to take this opportunity to upgrade to a newer model anyway.

9. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three years and with a known product fault - well within your statutory rights to seek redress and free repair but enjoy your upgrade :)

10. morkys

morkys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure its not the bulb. It really shouldn't be, but check it anyways. A burned bulb is obvious as the wire will show wear.

I have an AE100 I am selling for parts for $250.00 Canadian or less. No bulb and has issues with the LCD ribbons or red lcd panel, but the PSU and igniter are fine. Its an option. It would serve as a parts pj in future too. I'm also selling a working AE100 too.