1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT-AE100 - component PAL better than s-video PAL?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nickoff, Feb 22, 2002.

1. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had a quick demo of the little Panny being fed an interlaced PAL signal via s-video connection. The demo wasn't optimum as the store is not really geared up for full-on projector demo's. All I will say is that IMHO the image looked very good to my untrained eyes (viewed Shrek & Gladiator).

Can Panny owners advise if the picture improves when being fed a component interlaced PAL signal? I have no intention of going down the HTPC route at any time in the future.

Does a grey screen improve black levels, or should I go for a high gain screen?

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A grey screen of sorts will improve percieved contrast, although getting your room as darks as possible makes the biggest improvement if your going down the grey route.

There is plenty here on home made grey screens or you could go greyhawk from the like of Gordon's company.

Bear in mind one of the single biggest salesmen's tricks is to play the likes of Gladiator and Shrek etc.. these are two very well encoded discs and are not representative of DVD's in general most are worse quality and a projector is unforgiving in its interpretation of these of poorer quality discs.

However this PANA machine seems unbeatable for the price (cheaper than most RP teles and most 36") and you will get much much more immersion from a well feed, well set up projector. Personally I don't think you can go far wrong...

This is the sort of projector everybody has been waiting for, and I own a toshiba!