1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT-AE100 calibration with ProV - ideas?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by SanPedro, Jan 13, 2003.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Hi All

I'd like to calibrate my PT-AE100, running through a ProV. Is there a more scientific means of setting it up other than guessing at settings on the contrast, brightness, saturation etc.

I belive there are test discs you can buy which can help with this but I've no idea whether they are any good or where I would get them from.

Assuming that every source eg DVD player, sky digi box or whatever will output a different colour signal and show a different colour balance then each project should be set up slightly differently (plus obviously personal preference comes into it as well)

Even some ideas as to what settings people currently have with the Pro V would be a start.

Your help appreciated

Cheers

Chris

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Chris,

I tried (with little success ! to get info on ither users settings here , and its a starting point at least.

My current settings, iirc, are

Brightness 80
    Conrast 170
    Saturation 170
    sharpness 3
    Hue 127

This is for TV, mainly, sharpness gets put up to about 6 for dvd, with some minor ( +/ - 5 ) on the others, depending on the transfer.

I have to say that between the source (DVD, TV, whatever) player, the ProV, and the projector, tweaking can be a nightmare.

With the laptop, I just fixed the settings on the PJ using the FLD filter and THX Optimiser, and now intend to leave the settings on the projector alone and mess only with the downstream stuff.

I know that Video Essentials and AVIA are two calibration tools you can get, but unless DR. Kramer comes to call again with more time to spare, I don't think I'll be going down that route. I know other members swear by the importance of correct calibration ( You should read the US guys on avsforum on this topic ), but things are ok for me just now. Its important to store up another level of tweaking for future fun !

All the best,

Sean G.