PSX with 260 & 160gb HDD £550 & £450 !!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by calibos, Nov 5, 2003.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    There was a small piece in this months GamesTM about the PSX. Apparently there will be two versions, one with a 260gb HDD and another version with a 160gb HDD costing (converting yen to pounds) £550 and £450 approx respectively. I googled and found this

As far as I can see, the only downside might be that there may or may not be an RGB input.

Supposedly its launched in Japan soon and about March in Europe and the US. Am I missing something or could this really shake up the HDD/DVD recorder market. Most if not all the features of the Panny E100h, JVC-DMR** etc plus Hard Drives 2 and 3 times as big and a built in PS2, all for £550 to boot compared to the Panny's £1000?? What am I missing? Why haven't we heard much about the PSX since the initial rumours when a load of people mistakenly confused it with a PS3??

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    The fact that we are in the UK! In the Japan for the example the Panasonic E100 has a 160GB drive (here it has 80GB). By the time the PSX has got here it will have been modified for the UK market and got a HDD that is 'competitive' as well as a 'competitive' price tag. It will probably end up with RGB in though - that is a Europe thing which is why the Japanese models don't have it!

Also I should point out as more HDD/DVDR combos become available the prices WILL start to drop. Especially as Panasonic (and others) are keen to push the HDD/DVDR combo as the defacto standard.

3. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PSX has had articles written about it on the BBC website so it's not a big secret. And I agree, it will shake up the HDD market, which is a good thing.

Regards

Dude

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    To some extent - but given that Sony themselves have a HDD/DVDR combo due mid next year with a RRP of £1300 then you could argue that the set-top market isn't exactly going to dissappear.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,486
    ...anyone got a definite release date for the PSX? I hope Sony manage to restore all the missing features from the Japanese versions but I can't help feeling what's the point in it being fitted with a PS2 when the PS3 will probably be out sooner rather than later.... Still, the specs look good.

6. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't even remember starting this thread, its so old!! :D