1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSX (the next playstation)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by James45, May 28, 2003.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Spong it seems Sony may miss the next round of Next Gen console releases because of the difficulty in producing the fabled Cell processor for the true PS3, instead they have reworked and heavily upgraded the PS2 as a stop-gap, the result? The PSX is basically a smaller, whiter, slot loading PS2 with DVD burner, HDD, TV tuner, USB2 and memorystick ports. Of course this could all be nonsence as the story's already changed about three times this morning.

What are your thoughts on this.

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is more of a marketing concept than an actual product that's going to see development any time soon.

Since when is there a 40 GB HD found within the PS2?

Although if marketed properly, this thing would probably sell, the XBox has already proven that it can produce games that the PS2 just isn't capable of. I think if Sony decides to revamp the console without upgrading the games capabilities, they are going to change if from "a games machine that just happens to play DVDs", to a "home theatre machine that just happens to play video games." Not sure if the market is ready for this.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was all announced this morning at a Sony Press Conf. Think about it though with HDD, DVD burner and tv tuner, it's a tivo, dvd recorder, ps2 and tv tuner in one. The perfect addition to a plasma display if you ask me.

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    I would definately be interested, it would depend on the recording quality etc.

Shame about the controllers going in the back, would have been better to have RF controllers!

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after owning a wavebird for a few months now I am in total agreement, ALL gaming controllers should be RF from now on.

7. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    120GB hard-disk on PSX is mainly for recording BS Digital which is in 1080i HD format with AAC 5.1 soundtrack.

You guys don't even have HD in Europe, so its 120GB is not much of a use here

This is not like PS2 with built-in multimedia stuff. It is BS Digital Receiver+Recorder with DVD-burner/player. PS2 stuff is just a bonus.

Also it is interesting to note that SCE is not selling them. But Sony is. :)

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625

The hard drive for the PS2 is 40gig, and a new version, the PS2 BB has a broadband adapter and the hard drive fitted as standard.

9. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
  10. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah but its huge I bet you will need a forklift to carry it home (I bet no one will say this as this comment is reserved for the XBOX) I think this product will be way overpriced and to be honest I find buying any sony electronics a risky proposition as there quality is laughable at best this will only serve to confuse the masses who will believe its the ps3.

11. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is this PSX going to be the PS-2 with standard progressive scan output which I read on another thread is soon to come out?

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No, this is something totally different

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I stand corrected. It looks like this will be an actual product.

Considering how much Sony likes to gouge their customers (memory cards, HD add-ons, multi-tap, ad infinitum), and the fact that this thing will have just about everything built right in... I expect it'll run somewhere in the range of £2500. ;)

But this is a huge announcement, as it points to Sony shifting away from the games and more towards home entertainment. MS has already said that they are planning to do the same thing, but I don't expect them to re-release the XBox with their home station. It'll most likely be an upgraded games console with all the bells and whistles. This would seriously widen the gap between the pushing power of the PS and the XBox.

And they couldn't very well release the PS3 a year later, after all the sheep have spent dad's money to buy Sony's new all-in-1 machine, without splitting their market in two. (sorry, couldn't resist :) )

This could be a very cool piece of kit, but I'll all come down to how everything works together. (which we won't really know until it is much closer to release) Also, as a TiVo owner, it'll be interesting to know how much of a monthly fee you'll have to pay for the PVR functionality, and if it'll offer a lifetime subscription offer in place of it.

14. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    PS3 has apparently been delayed because of problems with the Cell idea (it is practically impossible to code for). I read PS3 will be released about 2007, which is why Sony are releasing the PSX as a way to bridge this gap

Makes sense to me

15. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The official announcement says that the Cell chip is going ahead as planned & will be available when it's needed. The thing to note here as this PSX box has been developed & will be sold by Sony, not Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

I'd hope it's no more than £500, but I'd like to know that if it's coming to Europe, what TV tuner would be on board, analog or digital (ie Freeview).

The thing I don't like about the machine is that the 2 Dual Shock2 ports are round the back, so you'd really need a couple of extension cables.

Dunedin397

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    No, there should be built in Rf transmiters for 4 controllers as wireless is the the way to go on a unit like this.

17. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that's what I'd want as I already use the Logitech wireless controllers, but then why are there ports instead of built in receivers?

Dunedin397

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So that Sony can make more £££ selling receiver ports to their customers. Hell, if Sony could get away with it, they'd sell the video cables separate from their systems. :D

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I wonder if this will ship with a composite cable only????
    and has it got a wireless lan port? if not that is amajor omission. (let me guess it has a PCMCIA Slot, More £££££££££££££££££££)

20. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think it will ship with a component cable for Japan/US. What would be the point of buyin such a high-end piece of gear and connecting it with a composite cable...:rolleyes:

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK question time? the Current PS2 is PS2 I thought PSX was the designation of the playstation when the PSone was launched!
    Never mind is the PSX (white thing) the progscan PS2 or is the Prog Scan PS2 coming out then PSX then PS3????? I am really confused. PSX (white thingy) looks like a PC but the pics on the sony UK site showes red white yellow phonos and s vid connectors 2 of each and 2 controller ports and an RS232 or VGA out but no scart (pics on UK site) and no component connections so where does prog scan come from?
    A ps2 DAV500 and a hard drive in a box???
    Not for me!

http://eu.playstation.com/iw_images//assets/images/news/03May/news_psx_02_big.jpg

22. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon,

It is not VGA nor RS232. It is D-Terminal. And it should support up to D4 resolution.
    It is disappointing that it doesn't have HDMI interface.

But in Japan, IEEE1394 is very common, if it does have one (it should have because there're no BS receiver/recorder without IEEE1394 interface that I know of), they can still have all-the-way pure digital path.

In US, DVI/HDCP (being replaced by HDMI from this autumn) is being as a standard.. so US model maybe equpped with DVI/HDCP or HDMI when it's released next year in US.

In Europe, you guys've got nothing. :D You're stuck with good'ol SCART. :D Cavemen stuff!

23. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PS2, already behind in games performance compared to the Xbox, will be so far behind my 2006, for example... by then XBOX2 will be well established.

24. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For whatever reason Sony have chosen to use the old codename for the PlayStation\PSone, PSX (it was actually PS-X during development).

The new 5000 model PS2 (which can play back recordable DVD formats, supports progressive scan with DVDs, built in remote control receiver, updated DVD drivers, iLink port removed, quieter fan, etc) is only for Japan at the moment, but I expect when stocks of the current model drop low enough we'll see the new model in Europe by the end of the year.

I'm not sure about all the ports on the back, but it doesn't mean the machine won't change for overseas markets if it does actually get outside of Japan.

Dunedin397

25. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new 5000 model is being released in US in June.

26. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what shocks me the most about this whole announcement. At first glance it seems like the cockiest thing a company can do.

"Sure, our console is older and less powerful, but people are still buying more of them than the competition. We are thusly so confident in the brand that we are going to put the very same system (with a few add-ons) to compete with the next generation of machines from our competitors."

I know it's not as simple as that, but it does seem a tad complacent.

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NO MORE INFORMED!
    I wonder what thhe UK machine will actually do?

PS When is the Prog Scan PS2 coming to europe!

28. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    can anyone point out the games that the xbox already has that the ps2 cannot handle?

29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625

No !!

I cant think of a single game that the ps2 could not do, yet.
    This may change but I doubt it, and I bet the next gen machines won't be that big a jump from what we are seeing now, not like the nes->snes->ps was anyway.

30. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i thought this myself, i was just referring to someones earlier comments about the 'almighty' xbox ;)