PSVR2

even my lowly Quest 2 works fine wirelessly, things have progressed that it shouldn't be a hurdle at this point, particularly in a "high end" headset like the PSVR2.

Since when is the PSVR2 high end? The PSVR1 was the most budget VR headset out there.

Unlike Oculus, Sony aren't doing a VR movement to lose money on every headset due to a social media based philosophy. They tried losing money on the PS3 and it nearly destroyed them so I don't think they'll adopt that high risk strategy again.

High-end = Valve, HTC and all the bigger boys above them. Valve should be packing some form of wireless 100%.. PSVR2 - from where they've come from with the PSVR1 is massive.

The company I'm personally most dissapointed in VR-wise is Valve. The fact the Index is still selling for £919 is MENTAL. How in the world are people paying that much money for it in 2022??

for the record... i hate the wire. i just hate the visuals even more so i'd rather they're fixed first. the low fov, low resolution, crap lcds annoy the hell out of me and detract me MORE than the wire.

I think the future for VR has to be wireless, but wireless needs to be tackled once we're over the visual hurdles, which I think are still there. Once we can get some high resolution panels, OLED, HDR with eye tracking to minimise the data that needs to be transferred over wireless, we'll be there.
I think it's a shame you're so hung up on visuals.

I think the levels of visuals we got in Alyx are more than enough. The joy is In the experience of being inside a game, walking around in a virtual world, not moaning about resolution or depth of colour.

Would be nice if the visuals were cleaner and crisper though, surely?

Would be nice if the visuals were cleaner and crisper though, surely?
whilst I would not mind a higher FOV I personally don't think I will ever complain about the cleanness or crispness of the visuals in my G2. it's easily good enough to play 2D games or watch films on the cinema screen in VR.

I won't lie, OLED does have better blacks but I can't say it has ever bothered me, of that I have missed it coming from my OLED CV1.

This new PSVR2. Will it be capable of 3D bluray playback at full resolution?

This new PSVR2. Will it be capable of 3D bluray playback at full resolution
don't see why not if Sony write the software to do it.
passive 1080p 3D TVs split the resolution so it's only 540p in each eye which am sure a vr hmd can manage. it will look lower res.as it will appear so much bigger .

even active 3DTV was only 1080p in each eye and every other frame was in each eye. am sure the Sony vr hmd will match that too

it's all about the software tho.

The fact the Index is still selling for £919 is MENTAL. How in the world are people paying that much money for it in 2022??
Because it STILL has the best controllers and tracking, and a better fov than the majority of newer headsets. You're effectively paying £460 for the controllers and base stations, and £460 for the headset itself.

The Vive Pro 2 headset on its own is £719 - that feels like an even bigger ask. The Reverb G2 is £620 for the complete package, but with substandard controllers and dubious tracking. The complete Index package still looks pretty good compared to these two imo.

Only the Quest 2 really offers substantially better value than the Index.

Because it STILL has the best controllers and tracking, and a better fov than the majority of newer headsets. You're effectively paying £460 for the controllers and base stations, and £460 for the headset itself.

The Vive Pro 2 headset on its own is £719 - that feels like an even bigger ask. The Reverb G2 is £620 for the complete package, but with substandard controllers and dubious tracking. The complete Index package still looks pretty good compared to these two imo.

Yup but its so old now, the glare is utter crap, the 'column correction' is a joke and I think its due an update. The visuals on par with a £299 quest apart from the excellent vertical FOV. and im suck of the cheap LCD panels. the refresh rates have been useless to me.

I agree with u.. VP2 makes the Index look almost ok priced.. but thats just the state of VR I guess.

VR is all just a bit meh. I think I might sell my Index and just wait for the next jump in headsets. I can't bring myself to play on the Index because I think 'I might as well save this game for when the new headsets come out'. I know its the wrong way to think.

I wish Occy were releasing a Q3. I would have grabbed one for air link. I do agree with u re: controllers..

I do wonder if Valve will stick with lighthouse tho.. I feel like now is a good time to sell up incase they go inside out

the reverb G2 has had an update apparently which sorts the tracking. not seen any reviews on it mind you

the reverb G2 has had an update apparently which sorts the tracking. not seen any reviews on it mind you
I think I saw one review on the new G2 edition which increases the overall tracking volume, but it still has trouble tracking the controllers below and above you, as well as when brought up close to the headset. The latter is the deal breaker for me - trying to aim down the sights in something like Pavlov was...inconsistent...to say the least when I tried the old version of the G2.

I suspect it's more of a physical hardware limitation than anything that can be corrected in a software update, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong on this one.

you are right it is a hardware limitation but apparently the cameras have been upgraded in the new headset. if even after that it still is not on a par with the quest that is dissapointing.

Thought I'd already commented on this but it seems not.

Regarding the resolution I've been disappointed with resolution of the PSVR 2. It's NOT a 4K headset unless you've attended the Pimax school of mathematics.

The resolution is 2K per eye and not a great deal higher than that of the Quest 2.

I was hoping for 2.5K per eye myself, 2K isn't a 'next gen' headset.

The fact that it has an OLED display is a big advantage, the haptics in the controllers is a reasonable advantage and the jury is out on the haptics in the headset itself.

Plus you've also got to take note that Cambria is out some time this year too, so I'll be VERY surprised if it isn't a 2.5K headset at least. Maybe even 4K if they've sorted out foveated rendering?

that is unfortunate they still have not got the tracking right. no regrets.from me. my G2 v1 is suitable for me as most of my vr is in cockpits but one would hope if they were bothering to release an updated hardware revision they would have made sure it was at least as good, ideally better than the what...3 year old? rift S at controller tracking.

snowdogs point on dissapointing resolution for PSVR2. I disagree. if the visuals are as good as the G2 (which is only 4k combined) but with added bonus of OLED blacks (I don't mind the blacks in the G2 but of course OLED would be better) then that would be more than enough for what plans to be a mass market and presumably affordable vr headset.

FOV on my G2 is ok but I would not want it to be less. and that is modded which takes me to the limit of the panels. using the v1 faceplate it is rubbish

Thought I'd already commented on this but it seems not.

Regarding the resolution I've been disappointed with resolution of the PSVR 2. It's NOT a 4K headset unless you've attended the Pimax school of mathematics.

The resolution is 2K per eye and not a great deal higher than that of the Quest 2.

I was hoping for 2.5K per eye myself, 2K isn't a 'next gen' headset.

The fact that it has an OLED display is a big advantage, the haptics in the controllers is a reasonable advantage and the jury is out on the haptics in the headset itself.

Plus you've also got to take note that Cambria is out some time this year too, so I'll be VERY surprised if it isn't a 2.5K headset at least. Maybe even 4K if they've sorted out foveated rendering?

Cambria is not marketted as a consumer VR headset so I don't see how Sony can think to compete with that at their bargain basement price point.

Oculus have said Cambria is not geared towards consumers so comparing it to a device which is seems a tad harsh.

I might be selling my Index on an unrelated note. I think I'm putting a granite coffee table into my cinema room for drinks, keyboard, mouse, guests. That means my playspace is going to be... smaller... but most importantly much more dangerous if I am to knock my leg into it.

Unless I can think of a way to easily slide across the floor a 100kg table. Anyone got any thoughts? (I am serious).

that is unfortunate they still have not got the tracking right. no regrets.from me. my G2 v1 is suitable for me as most of my vr is in cockpits but one would hope if they were bothering to release an updated hardware revision they would have made sure it was at least as good, ideally better than the what...3 year old? rift S at controller tracking.

snowdogs point on dissapointing resolution for PSVR2. I disagree. if the visuals are as good as the G2 (which is only 4k combined) but with added bonus of OLED blacks (I don't mind the blacks in the G2 but of course OLED would be better) then that would be more than enough for what plans to be a mass market and presumably affordable vr headset.

FOV on my G2 is ok but I would not want it to be less. and that is modded which takes me to the limit of the panels. using the v1 faceplate it is rubbish

Agreed.

I think the main dissapointing thing people don't like to admit with the PSVR2 is it needs a PS5. 99% of us are PC gamers first and foremost and have our games on PCVR. We have our entire ecosystems in an Oculus or Valve library. We don't have them on Sony's platform.

Thats the gigantic negative with the PSVR2 headset. Audio is small but annoying too. Its another cost if you want good audio, but its the same with the Quest.

I also don't think we'll see the PSVR OLED panels in our headsets. Sony had OLED last time and we never saw that tech in our headsets - they used an entirely different pixel structure which didn't have mura or the halo effects we had. I hope I'm wrong though.

I didn't mind blacks too much until I played asgards wrath and horror films and vader immortal and skyrim. The LCD blacks quickly remind me I'm staring at a screen sadly.

I didn't mind blacks too much until I played asgards wrath and horror films and vader immortal and skyrim. The LCD blacks quickly remind me I'm staring at a screen sadly.
Yeah, I've tried 2 or 3 LCD-based headsets, and even though reviews claim the blacks are black enough, they're simply not when you're coming from an OLED headset. They're grey, and always will be grey to my eyes.

I'm hoping high resolution OLED panels (at least higher than my Vive Pro) will make a comeback at a palatable price in the next year or two. In the meantime you'd have to pry my Vive Pro from my cold dead face before I'd give it up.

don't see why not if Sony write the software to do it.
passive 1080p 3D TVs split the resolution so it's only 540p in each eye which am sure a vr hmd can manage. it will look lower res.as it will appear so much bigger .

even active 3DTV was only 1080p in each eye and every other frame was in each eye. am sure the Sony vr hmd will match that too

it's all about the software tho.
If it will do 1080p per eye full resolution i'm very interested. I can then upgrade my current 3D capable OLED to a newer non-3D OLED with all the juicy new gaming features and add the PSVR2 for legacy 3D support.

If it will do 1080p per eye full resolution i'm very interested. I can then upgrade my current 3D capable OLED to a newer non-3D OLED with all the juicy new gaming features and add the PSVR2 for legacy 3D support.
i am fairly sure it will do 1080p per eye

just remember that 1080p per eye in vr is not gonna look as pretty as a 1080p screen..... your eyeballs are mm away from the panel, and sure, it is a really small panel but its still not as good.

this is totally subjective and i have done no tests as such but i would say my 4k split over both eyes reverb G2 is probably something like looking at a 720p screen whilst in VR looking at a monitor and maybe 1080p if looking at a cinema screen -- just remember that 1080p would be a really low res for a cinema screen..

so i guess we are talking about 2 slightly different things.

I am absolutely confident that any new headset will be able to output a true 1080p image to each eye in proper 3D.

but if you are after a headset which will mimic the image quality of say a 70 inch tv doing 3D in VR, (and even then why would you do that when you can output to cinema screen - which will lower the sharpness even more)

then that is a bigger ask.

I have watched films in VR however and for me they were still great. Gravity in 3D was better on VR cinema sized screen than on my home 70inch 1080p active 3DTV but again that is just my subjective view.

i am fairly sure it will do 1080p per eye

just remember that 1080p per eye in vr is not gonna look as pretty as a 1080p screen..... your eyeballs are mm away from the panel, and sure, it is a really small panel but its still not as good.

this is totally subjective and i have done no tests as such but i would say my 4k split over both eyes reverb G2 is probably something like looking at a 720p screen whilst in VR looking at a monitor and maybe 1080p if looking at a cinema screen -- just remember that 1080p would be a really low res for a cinema screen..

so i guess we are talking about 2 slightly different things.

I am absolutely confident that any new headset will be able to output a true 1080p image to each eye in proper 3D.

but if you are after a headset which will mimic the image quality of say a 70 inch tv doing 3D in VR, (and even then why would you do that when you can output to cinema screen - which will lower the sharpness even more)

then that is a bigger ask.

I have watched films in VR however and for me they were still great. Gravity in 3D was better on VR cinema sized screen than on my home 70inch 1080p active 3DTV but again that is just my subjective view.
My current 3D playback is on a 55" 4K LG E6 OLED. It's fantastic at 3D with full 1080p per eye. Probably the best 3D TV has ever looked. To replace it with a display system capable of equally stunning 3D without losing the resolution is my objective. It's likely I will have to go to projection but PSVR2 might be a viable alternative depending on if it gets 3D bluray support and if it's any good. The fact that the headset is OLED based and has the resolution on paper bodes well.

My current 3D playback is on a 55" 4K LG E6 OLED. It's fantastic at 3D with full 1080p per eye. Probably the best 3D TV has ever looked. To replace it with a display system capable of equally stunning 3D without losing the resolution is my objective. It's likely I will have to go to projection but PSVR2 might be a viable alternative depending on if it gets 3D bluray support and if it's any good. The fact that the headset is OLED based and has the resolution on paper bodes well.
Projection is viable. You won't get the same contrast but you'll get a gigantic picture if your house can house it. You'll have to black out a room for the best effect. It is quite expensive.

Decent Epson or JVC projector £1k-3k
Black out room £1k
Glasses £30

Then you need a room big enough to throw a decent image, I throw 165 inches 2:35:1 and my room is about 6.5-7M long.

Worth it tho. VR headset doesnt compete at all.

I think 3D films and VR headsets are hard to improve. OLED, resolution AND FOV all need to massive improved to get there. it also feels REALLY artifical. in real life it feels magical

oops accidentally hit reply.

I too have a cinema room, but with only a 95" screen.
Still, we only sit about 8' away so its all subjective i guess.
Blackout wise, we shut the door, close a black wooden blind and the projector screen comes down over that.
Its pitch black, and only cost the price of the blind (about £80).
If we painted the ceiling too it would be even darker, but my wife likes it as a second chill out room.

IMG_7533.jpg

IMG_7537.jpg

I have never yet tried a VR film on my Reverb G2, but one day i intend to.
I think i would miss the full atmos experience though.

I too have a cinema room, but with only a 95" screen.
Still, we only sit about 8' away so its all subjective i guess.
Blackout wise, we shut the door, close a black wooden blind and the projector screen comes down over that.
Its pitch black, and only cost the price of the blind (about £80).
If we painted the ceiling too it would be even darker, but my wife likes it as a second chill out room.

View attachment 1638693

View attachment 1638694

I have never yet tried a VR film on my Reverb G2, but one day i intend to.
I think i would miss the full atmos experience though.
Looks awesome mate. I think its hard to find a balance between decor and light control. I think I'm slowly stepping into the realm of sacking off decor for light control. I've got some black Velvet curtains ready to hang up when I can convince someone to do it with me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom