PSVR2

KingD

looks promising I think, as said before there are few things missing that I find a little dissappointing but if the price is right it can only be good for VR, few cool features too, I think the adaptable triggers and the vibration on the headset could be excellent

CherryPan

looks promising I think, as said before there are few things missing that I find a little dissappointing but if the price is right it can only be good for VR, few cool features too, I think the adaptable triggers and the vibration on the headset could be excellent
The headset's internal vibration is going to feel amazing! It's not a vibration like a massage device, it will fit the headshots or mid-game head hits like a glove.

I hope the internet bloggers are right about the price. So far, I've seen people claiming it's going to be around $399-$499. I surely hope Sony won't put the price higher than that. I still wonder how will the lenses look, I can't wait!

KingD

The headset's internal vibration is going to feel amazing! It's not a vibration like a massage device, it will fit the headshots or mid-game head hits like a glove.

I hope the internet bloggers are right about the price. So far, I've seen people claiming it's going to be around $399-$499. I surely hope Sony won't put the price higher than that. I still wonder how will the lenses look, I can't wait!
I reckon they might use the vibrations to counteract motion sickness in motion intensive games too, if its that price it would be a lot more attractive, although I will need a PS5 first

Got to say while the rest of the hardware looks good I don't fancy head vibration if its like a classic feedback from a impact in game type of thing. Hands are find but vibrating my forehead isn't pleasant so hoping there is more to this.

CherryPan

Got to say while the rest of the hardware looks good I don't fancy head vibration if its like a classic feedback from a impact in game type of thing. Hands are find but vibrating my forehead isn't pleasant so hoping there is more to this.
it won't be a dispersed vibration like the feedback from the controllers or a vibrating phone. vibration can also be directed, feeling like a push. depending on the case, it could also change its manifestation from a a small to a big impact area. i think and hope this headset's vibration will feel like that.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Sounding good...

If it's playable behind closed doors, is this the finished headset and controller or a development version? I was hoping for an Autumn release, but one report suggested Spring 2023

If its releasing at a competitive price point, 2023 makes more sense. The horizon game looks like it'll require a heavy ammount of development time too.

Plasmaholdout

Standard Member
So PSVR2 released and it makes the Quest, Index and G2 IMO all look like very bad deals.

Haptics in the headset and those sweet adaptive triggers.
HDR, OLED and high resolution visuals.
And releasing a Horizon VR game.

Absolutely killer features IMO and I'll buy a PSVR2 and a PS5 day one if it has a RE7VR patch to bring it up to modern standards. Looks like Sony kept that RE7VR exclusivity for a reason.

As a £919 Index owner, I do feel like I now truly own an overpriced piece of crap. Outside of audio and finger tracking, I feel this Sony will give a superior experience. I'm not sure if Valve are going to even show us any new VR hardware or software this year. Oculus said they were going to be quiet this year hardware wise but can they really afford to sit back and let Sony steal the show?

VR (as I predicted) was going to get interesting when Sony come to the party. Oculus will have to provide more tangible gaming experiences now to steal the thunder from Sony and Valve surely cannot get away with the current Index price once this drops.
PSVR 2 will be the best VR headset on the market in its class, by far. That said it still must be used with a console and its wired. The Quest 2 is an average headset for PCVR but I will still choose it over a console VR system.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
PSVR 2 will be the best VR headset on the market in its class, by far. That said it still must be used with a console and its wired. The Quest 2 is an average headset for PCVR but I will still choose it over a console VR system.
maybe it will however am not sure how you can say that when it isnt out yet.

sure there have been demo units out and it does look nice, but isnt it a year away? who knows what could be out by then...... pimax have a pretty exciting sounding headset in the pipe (yeah i know they over promise as well, but so have sony historically, but it certainly sounds good)

the reverb G2 has already had a refresh with significant improvements.... we could have a G3 coming in the next 12 months.

finally...... the controllers... now dont get me wrong i am fine with oculus touch, and i think it makes sense to build to that kind of spec.... but, didnt someone earlier in this thread claim they were going to be knuckles beaters/ (i may be wrong - i think it was atmos....... but i digress)... but from reading recently and looking at them, isnt it just capacitive touch, just like oculus? and not full finger tracking like was claimed? like i said i am fine with that but this is why i think it is better to wait and see what the final hardware is, and at a point that it is out on the market as only then can we know exactly how good it is and compare to the other players on the market.

it isnt unheard of either for prerelease products to actually be better than what hits the market once market forces get involved.

comparing to a quest 2 which is already getting on a bit now seems a little apples and oranges to me... equally comparing psvr 2 to the Index... in terms of age, that would almost be like comparing the index to the rift CV1... they are different generations of headset.

all that aside however i am confident it will be up there.... and it is good to see VR being plugged again

hopefully three wont be too many psvr only exclusives and most will come to pc as well.

Last edited:

Captain Ron

Distinguished Member
What's the betting the cable gets cut? Someone is bound to come up with a short range high bandwidth compact transmitter/receiver unit to allow the PS5 and PSVR2 to communicate wirelessly.

how ? - its doesn't have wifi in it or a battery to run it. So both would need to be in this "box" and the PS5 would need to have its software changed to send all video via the wifi and receive all the VR helmet telemetry from the cameras in via wifi , rather than down the cable it would be expecting . So would need to hack the PS5 to make that occur - yeah I am not betting the cable gets cut. Its not just as simple as replacing the cable with a transmitter/receiver to go wireless.

Last edited:

Plasmaholdout

Standard Member
maybe it will however am not sure how you can say that when it isnt out yet.

sure there have been demo units out and it does look nice, but isnt it a year away? who knows what could be out by then...... pimax have a pretty exciting sounding headset in the pipe (yeah i know they over promise as well, but so have sony historically, but it certainly sounds good)

the reverb G2 has already had a refresh with significant improvements.... we could have a G3 coming in the next 12 months.

finally...... the controllers... now dont get me wrong i am fine with oculus touch, and i think it makes sense to build to that kind of spec.... but, didnt someone earlier in this thread claim they were going to be knuckles beaters/ (i may be wrong - i think it was atmos....... but i digress)... but from reading recently and looking at them, isnt it just capacitive touch, just like oculus? and not full finger tracking like was claimed? like i said i am fine with that but this is why i think it is better to wait and see what the final hardware is, and at a point that it is out on the market as only then can we know exactly how good it is and compare to the other players on the market.

it isnt unheard of either for prerelease products to actually be better than what hits the market once market forces get involved.

comparing to a quest 2 which is already getting on a bit now seems a little apples and oranges to me... equally comparing psvr 2 to the Index... in terms of age, that would almost be like comparing the index to the rift CV1... they are different generations of headset.

all that aside however i am confident it will be up there.... and it is good to see VR being plugged again

hopefully three wont be too many psvr only exclusives and most will come to pc as well.
I think its actually coming out soon. I read something very recently stating it would be released earlier than initially stated. On paper it looks like a dang good headset and what Sony did with PSVR 1 with the console/headset specs was amazing. They are good at this VR stuff so my expectations are high. Of course this is only speculation based on the info available

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I think its actually coming out soon. I read something very recently stating it would be released earlier than initially stated. On paper it looks like a dang good headset and what Sony did with PSVR 1 with the console/headset specs was amazing. They are good at this VR stuff so my expectations are high. Of course this is only speculation based on the info available
that would be good if it happens. a nice vrnshot in the arm would be nice. there is plenty of vr content for me but the more mainstream it gets the better.

SunnyIntervals

The rumours suggest Spring 2023 but that seems quite late given the hype already building up. I won't be surprised if we see an autumn launch. I just want to play the Horizon game/experience

Captain Ron

Distinguished Member
how ? - its doesn't have wifi in it or a battery to run it. So both would need to be in this "box" and the PS5 would need to have its software changed to send all video via the wifi and receive all the VR helmet telemetry from the cameras in via wifi , rather than down the cable it would be expecting . So would need to hack the PS5 to make that occur - yeah I am not betting the cable gets cut. Its not just as simple as replacing the cable with a transmitter/receiver to go wireless.
A wireless transciever should be possible and invisible to the PS5 and PSVR2 if done right. Simply replace the cable with a gadget at either end. The PS5 continues to communicate with the PSVR2 with no changes required. The transceiver behaves fully like the cable except that the signal that would normally go back and forth over a cable are sent wirelessly instead. The issue is not is it possible, it's is it possible at a viable product cost.

OK I see what you mean, but I still think creating a device that fools the PS5 into thinking the PSVR2 is connected by being "invisible" and passing everything both ways like a cable at one end with a fast reliable wifi AC or higher receiver/transmitter and another 2nd part with a battery unit that powers both the headset and another wifi receiver/transmitter back to the other end is never going to happen just to lose a 3 m cable. I mean its possible I guess but your asked what the betting on it, so I say very very very very high odds indeed against.

I can see Chinese no name £120 hdmi transmitters for 1080p signals only for sale (which generally get crap reviews as well on amazon at least) so this would likely be really expensive as it needs much higher resolution and no lag and a battery to run it all. Likely would be as much as the headset itself maybe. And then Sony updates the firmware and blocks it working as they really dont like others making 3rd party things for there console.

Last edited:

Captain Ron

Distinguished Member
It's like I said. Doable technically but probably not financially viable unless some mega lossless 4k capable wireless transceiver chipset comes along at an acceptable price.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
So I've recently sold my Quest 2 headset and re-purchased a PSVR headset and MAN im impressed!

Last time i had PSVR was on my PS4 pro, i had not seen it before on the PS5, and im really impressed.

Its only a stop gap before PSVR2 so i got it cheap from cex, a V2 model and some moves. I decided to swap because i was getting into NMS, and its really improved from what i remember. Its smooth, its clear, its a lot more crisp than i remember.

Also alot of VR games have been on PS+ since, so ive got moss, and astrobot to play.

Im also getting Hitman, and thinking of getting Borderlands VR and the Aim controller.

I feel a whole new world of VR has opened up, the larger games that the quest just cant do without a pc. (i dont own a pc)

Its got me soooo excited for PSVR2 now with the better controllers, inside out tracking, haptics in the controllers and the duel shock 5 and on the headset. The 4k OLED screen :love:, eye tracking, all combined with the power of the PS5 and a single lead, (which im fine with, beats the breakout box we have now)

Im hoping PSVR2 is going to be this xmas, but everything seems to be slipping dates, so im expecting next year now. But yeah if your excited for PSVR2 but never had PSVR1, certainly try PSVR1, even though its old tech its a fantastic experience on the PS5. Its pretty impressive and a real taster for whats to come with PSVR2, and thats without seeing any PSVR2 games yet!!!

Last edited:

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
i was impressed with the headset of thePSVR, as well as how much the even vanilla machine punched above its weight.
it was the controllers - but most the tracking which spoiled it for me. it made me feel queesy in a way my rift DK2, CV1, Quest or reverb G1 ever did. i am convinced this is due to the tracking (which will hopefully not be an issue for PSVR2)

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Oh yeah its also very comfortable to wear and to take off and put on.

More comfortable than the quest IMO because there's no pressure on your face and the eyepiece slides away from you to take it off.

Last edited:

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Oh yeah its also very comfortable to wear and to take off and put on.

More comfortable than the quest IMO because there's no pressure on your face and the eyepiece slides away from you to take it off.
the halo mount is great, and indeed i bought a rip off version of it for my quest 2.

the quest has the added challenge in terms of comfort as they have to mitigate the extra weight of the compute and battery, things that "dumb" HMDs dont have to worry about.

thesnowdog

So I've recently sold my Quest 2 headset and re-purchased a PSVR headset and MAN im impressed!

Last time i had PSVR was on my PS4 pro, i had not seen it before on the PS5, and im really impressed.

Its only a stop gap before PSVR2 so i got it cheap from cex, a V2 model and some moves. I decided to swap because i was getting into NMS, and its really improved from what i remember. Its smooth, its clear, its a lot more crisp than i remember.

Also alot of VR games have been on PS+ since, so ive got moss, and astrobot to play.

Im also getting Hitman, and thinking of getting Borderlands VR and the Aim controller.

I feel a whole new world of VR has opened up, the larger games that the quest just cant do without a pc. (i dont own a pc)

Its got me soooo excited for PSVR2 now with the better controllers, inside out tracking, haptics in the controllers and the duel shock 5 and on the headset. The 4k OLED screen :love:, eye tracking, all combined with the power of the PS5 and a single lead, (which im fine with, beats the breakout box we have now)

Im hoping PSVR2 is going to be this xmas, but everything seems to be slipping dates, so im expecting next year now. But yeah if your excited for PSVR2 but never had PSVR1, certainly try PSVR1, even though its old tech its a fantastic experience on the PS5. Its pretty impressive and a real taster for whats to come with PSVR2, and thats without seeing any PSVR2 games yet!!!

Why didn't you stick with No Man's Sky on the PC?

Or don't you have a PC capable of running it? Fair enough if not but the PC VR SKU of No Man's Sky allows you to use motion controls, a gamepad or HOTAS or any combination of them to control the game. Much better experience I would have thought (I haven't tried it yet so can't say for certain!) 😁

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Why didn't you stick with No Man's Sky on the PC?

Or don't you have a PC capable of running it? Fair enough if not but the PC VR SKU of No Man's Sky allows you to use motion controls, a gamepad or HOTAS or any combination of them to control the game. Much better experience I would have thought (I haven't tried it yet so can't say for certain!) 😁
I dont own a pc at all.

NMS on PSVR allows you to use either the moves or the DualShock. I've tried both and the moves work very well indeed. You pick up the gun by grabbing from over your right shoulder and open the scanner by holding up to your left side of your head and press, (as if to turn it on from your helmet) very cool.

I really cannot fault NMS on PSVR, even with the old technology

Last edited:

SunnyIntervals

PSVR underlines that you don't need photo realistic graphics to feel immersed in the world. One of my fav PSVR games was The Room VR. Worth a look, it does have limited movement (it's not free, you point to a spot and teleport to it). I want to get The Wanderer at some point, but I still have Sniper Elite VR to complete first

As soon as PSVR2 comes up for pre-order, I'm on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV