PSVR vs Oculus Quest 2

doubledragonxx

Simple question, is there any point in me switching from my PSVR connected to my PS4 Pro to an Oculus Quest 2?

I had a PSVR a couple of years ago and loved it and stupidly landed up selling to fund another hobby. Always regretted selling it and it quickly became apparent that the PS4 only every got powered up to play VR games. I made the decision not to go down the PS5 route or certainly not for the foreseeable future and tbh not entirely sure whether a PSVR 2 would be enough to get me to pull the trigger on what would be just shy of £1K.

I did though re-invest in another PSVR headset a few months back and got to say totally loving it again. Slightly annoying though for once didn't do my homework and hadn't realised that Oculus were launching their Quest 2, D'oh. The more I read about the Quest 2 the more I think I've possibly chosen badly. On paper and from the reviews I've watched and read, it seems to trump the PSVR on pretty much every level.

Anyone had a PSVR and now got a Quest 2, is the difference significant and worth switching to?

I am well aware of the whole FB thang and totally get why people are put off by this, however my other two main hobbies it's all through FB so I've got no other options tbh.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions.

scotthillier

It's like chalk n cheese.
Quest 2 is proper VR, and you can use it with your PC for the full scale PC games like Half Life if you want to.

Don't hesitate, you'll be blown away.

I still use my PSVR for big screen playstation action on 2d games, but it's not up to much for VR other than giving people an idea of what its like.

doubledragonxx

Great and that's exactly the answer I was after. The resolution certainly from the specs looks a lot better than the PSVR, it that your experience aswell?

Also "use it with your PC for the full scale PC games like Half Life" is another reason why I am thinking of switching. I would only get a PS5 to play VR and that's a lot of money for me to justify to play the odd VR game, just can't see it happening.

KingD

I would say it's very dependant on what you want to play, budget and the power of your PC, as that opens up a lot more software options. You will for sure enjoy the flexibility of the Quest 2 to play wirelessly and connect to PC.

doubledragonxx

I would say it's very dependant on what you want to play, budget and the power of your PC, as that opens up a lot more software options. You will for sure enjoy the flexibility of the Quest 2 to play wirelessly and connect to PC.
At the moment the ability for the Quest 2 to connect to to PC would be an added bonus certainly not a deciding factor. My current PC not a chance but thoughts were when I eventually get around to upgrading this then I would be more likely to pay out for higher spec which might run VR games rather than a dedicated games console.

KingD

I would take a good look at the Quest library then, and see if it has enough to offer, the PS VR has a fairly decent library of stuff and you find the Quest library lacking, also have a look at the PC requirements, you may still be able to use your PC with it also.

rss

Great and that's exactly the answer I was after. The resolution certainly from the specs looks a lot better than the PSVR, it that your experience aswell?

Also "use it with your PC for the full scale PC games like Half Life" is another reason why I am thinking of switching. I would only get a PS5 to play VR and that's a lot of money for me to justify to play the odd VR game, just can't see it happening.
What games have you played/enjoyed so far on the PSVR ?

doubledragonxx

Bit of a mixutre tbh of physical and digital downlaods, off the top of my head:

Blood & Truth
Astro-Bot
Ultra-Wings
Tetris Effect
Moss
Wipeout
Battle Zone
I Expect You To Die
Don't stop talking or everyone explodes

Astro-Bot a brilliant game, loved I Expect You To Die and currently playing Ultra-Wings.

rss

Bit of a mixutre tbh of physical and digital downlaods, off the top of my head:

Blood & Truth
Astro-Bot
Ultra-Wings
Tetris Effect
Moss
Wipeout
Battle Zone
I Expect You To Die
Don't stop talking or everyone explodes

Astro-Bot a brilliant game, loved I Expect You To Die and currently playing Ultra-Wings.
Yep some good ones there.

There are some on sale on PS Store : Official PlayStation™Store UK

I suppose you could get any that you still want to play and then move over to the Quest, especially if you intend to sell one to buy the other.

I've only played Star Wars Squadrons recently on my PSVR, otherwise it's been gathering dust for a while now but to be fair I've played pretty much everything I wanted to on it.

I'm loving the Quest 2, no wires and pick up and play anywhere is a major plus for me.

doubledragonxx

We've currently got the PS4 in a movie/games room however there are plans to convert this to my wife's office as she is now a permanent homeworker. More than likely the PS4 will land up in my son's room although he very rarely plays on it since he discovered girls :love: and doubt he is going to be that chuffed with his dad sat on the edge of his bed playing VR.:rotfl:

So the ability just to use the Quest 2 anywhere really is going to be a massive benefit which is why my go to console is my Nintendo Switch.

The only negative for me for the Quest 2 is that there are no physical copies and the library at a glance doesn't seem to have much in the way of discounted games. Whereas the PS Store always seems to have something on offer and you can usually pick a physical copy cheap off of Fleabay. Although saying that the majority of games I purchase for my Switch you can't get phyical copies either so hey possibly not that much of an issue.

Unfortunately no Black Friday Deals on the Oculus which tbh I am not surprised about so will pull the trigger on this shortly I think. That usually means I'll ponder on it far too long and find that they've sold out for Xmas LOL

rss

Especially if his girlfriend is in the room too!!!

There are some BF deals on games for the Quest. You could always buy them 'in advance' if there is anything in particular you like the look of.

Last edited:

doubledragonxx

LOL yeah "don't mind me", "honest son I can't see anything" :rotfl:

Ah nice, cheers for the link, totally forgot to look on Oculus's own website for BF deals.

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
@doubledragonxx - did you take the plunge? Either way others may stumble on this...

Big PSVR fan myself, but I love my tech so so when Oculus 2 came out I felt it was time to sell the Rift and upgrade my PC headset - going wireless was a big draw.

So a couple of things to know, and I'm no expert, but there's essentially 3 types of games and ways to play;

Types of games;
A) Games you own that are for the Quest
B) Games you bought elsewhere and 'side-loaded' onto the Quest
C) Games you bought on the Oculus store that are on your PC that are for VR headsets
D) Games you bought elsewhere (ie Steam) that are on your PC that are for VR

Types of ways to play;
Wirelessly with the Quest version of a game - (see A and B above)
Wirelessly streaming from the PC (See C or D above)
Wired to your PC (See C or D above)

To play wirelessly you need to buy some software (Virtual Desktop) which costs £15 (make sure you buy from the Oculus store!) and ensure you have (at the very least) a 5GHZ WiFi router. That £15 software needs to be 'updated' via a 'side-load' with an unofficial patch - yes, Oculus have disabled the feature and you need to put it back in. Don't be thinking this stuff just works - it's a bit of a faff to setup...I managed it though so it's not rocket science. I also only stream from my Sky router (but many buy a ~£50 dedicated one).

To play games B (above) they need to be 'side-loaded' onto the Q2 (with the same software you patch the Quest with) - these are generally portable games that probably work on your phone VR systems...not 100% sure. That reminds me - side-loading requires the Quest to be plugged into your PC with an incredibly short supplied lead!

To play wired Quest sell the ultra expensive £90 official lead or you can apparently pick up half decent standard leads for around half that - though these seem a bit pot luck and I see reports of leads stopping working. Not actually tried this myself.

When using a PC obviously you'll need a decent PC - I wouldn't like to suggest specs but I had a Ryzen 5 2600 and GTX 1060 - I would suggest that's probably too low spec it's ok but as games are getting more powerful they will just look pants, or lag - especially if you want to go wireless...and you don't want lag!

I'll do a 2nd post about games and buying them...

Last edited:

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
Games and other differences...

So, the Quest 2 is a half-decent machine, but it's not a PS4. As an example, I was tempted to pull the trigger on Saints and Sinners - a game I have on PSVR but not got round to playing. I read reviews and found that graphically the best version between stand alone and PSVR - the PSVR is much better. The world is apparently more detailed. This is because PS4 is a beast compared to the power of the Quest 2.

But here's the thing, it's not that simple! The controllers are better on the Q2 due to 'inside out tracking' - and I can confirm, when I've played games the tracking is really really good - BUT - not perfect, there are some glaring issues with inside out tracking!

Mate...what have you started! :D

So, the bad news is that instead on the camera on the TV having to see the controllers, the headset has to see them. So - in scenarios where (let's say) you might place a hand by your side/behind your back, or one hand under the other - it will lose the tracking. So don't be thinking it's the perfect solution.

Now into a bit more detail around games and buying...

On the Oculus store you can buy;

Games for the Quest 2
Games for all Oculus headsets
Games that work on both

AND MOST GAMES ARE NOT CROSS BUY!!

So, there's an offer on to get a free game when you buy the Quest 2 at the moment...great. Except that game is a PC game only, so you can only play it streaming from your PC. So your free game costs you at least £15 and up to £90! :D

You can easily (as I found out) buy a PC version of a game instead of the Quest version of a game. I'm unsure on the return policy...I will say I got a 20% off 'welcome code' (which arrived just after the sale finished) - I had an issue with the code and the online help asked what I wanted to buy and credited my account with a little more than the actual discount! I then found out the reason it wasn't working was because I was trying to buy the PC version of the game - so I ended up using the code on a different game :)

So, there is a filter - at the top there are tabs so you can selected Quest games...but it's not overly intuitive and it's not obvious what you're buying unless you pay close attention (even the online help was perplexed and I showed him screen shots lol.

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
Final words on using...

So let's get the negatives out of the way...

It's no-where near as comfortable as the PSVR. It's not even close. This is like pulling on your forehead - it's hard to explain but PSVR is soo much better. You can buy add-ons to improve that though, I think it's around £50 for the official but there are cheaper alternatives, I got one from Ali-express for around £15 which is pretty good, they also do one that looks suspiciously like the PSVR.

When streaming wirelessly you can/will get lag. I've not played much but I would recommend buying Quest versions of games that require quick reaction/timing - I bought the table tennis game (name escapes me - Eleven?), it's fantastic - I loved the PS Move table tennis game and this reminds me of that in how good it is, it's cross buy so a bonus. Also something like Beat Sabre - although not cross buy, I would suggest that would be better as a local game.

I've been through the setup, but the interaction with PC is not intuitive at all, I'm always pressing the wrong button!

I've covered the tracking issues.

Onto the positives...

It's wireless man - the ability to just pull it on, it auto switches on - and away you go!

Portability, take it anywhere - hence have some half-decent games installed!

Guardian (or whatever it's called) - allows you to set the play area and gives you warnings when getting near the edge. It's great to feel safe when playing, shame it can't sense pets! lol And the great thing is, you can step out of the area (or poke your head out) to see the real world

The inside cameras - or whatever they're called...essentially allowing you to see the outside without taking off the headset.

Tracking (when working) is great

Built in sound, whilst not being fantastic quality are not terrible and allow for not only less fuss gaming, but also to hear what's going on around

Enjoy!

Happy to try help anyone if stuck - just PM me :)

Last edited:
You missed out playing the likes of Quake, Quake 2, Doom, Doom 2 and Return To Castle Wolfenstein using Sidequest 😁

Great few posts there though! 😎😁😎

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
You missed out playing the likes of Quake, Quake 2, Doom, Doom 2 and Return To Castle Wolfenstein using Sidequest 😁

Great few posts there though! 😎😁😎
Thanks for the feedback :)

Yeah, I did look at those but it looked a bit difficult and I didn't want to break anything, might take a closer look when I get some spare time :)

Stampax

My view having had the psvr since launch and recently sold it to get the oculus 2- Graphics wise quite similar, but loading times way better on oculus. The wireless aspect is a major advantage and the system just feels better overall. The oculus feels like a proper VR unit, whilst the psvr feels like a expansion pack.
controllers for psvr were also my major issue, really awful tracking. Oculus feels way better. So far I, very impressed with the oculus 2, and seem to be in the real minority that find the strap that comes with it absolutely fine. I’d probably say about as comfortable as the psvr, although i do appreciate This puts me in the minority!

doubledragonxx

Happy New Year All!

I thought seeing as I started the thread I should really provide some feedback from my experinces with the Quest 2 :D

So yes I pulled the trigger, sold my PSVR bundle and got the Oculus Quest 2, put it up for Xmas day as thought would liven up what was going to be a quiet Christmas day for us this year. I had pre-ordered some games in the sale, so charged it up and quickly installed those and we were off. Got to say very impressed and I certainly made the right choice jumping ship.

The positives over the PSVR for me are:-
  • Ability to pick it up and use it anywhere on its own makes it worth the switch alone.
  • Interface is very slick
  • Tracking
  • No screen door effect for me anymore WHOOP! Possibly one of the first things I noticed
  • Higher resolution which is certainly noticeable on text
  • The integrated speakers are not bad, I had very low expectations from reading reviews but certainly for a couple of the more active games where wearing headphones isn't ideal they work a treat.
  • Untethered, I couldn’t see myself playing some of sports type game on the PSVR as guaranteed I would have garrotted myself with all the cables. Although saying that I did manage to capture a film clip of my son playing The Thrill Of The Fight where he nearly punches the damn thing off his own head. Perhaps having the ability to play active games might land up being a disadvantage!

The only real negative would be as many have said is the strap and I never even used the original strap! I had ordered a Halo Strap from Aliexpress which arrived just in time for Xmas and annoyingly it's still not a patch on the PSVR grrr. I can see though that the new strap has saved us a load of time where the original I suspect would have required you to re-adjusting between family members.

Not so much of a negative of the Quest 2 more a problem of having an inconsiderate 16 year old that never charges the flippin thing up after using it. On a few occasions I’ll stick it on only to find I’ve got about 15 mins of play left, whereas the PSVR would keep running all day.

You can keep your next gen consoles, VR is doing it for me for sure, there is a list of games that will keep me busy for months and there seems to be a good flow of new releases coming.

Last edited:
All you need to do is get yourself a power bank and make sure you keep it charged up. Will solve the problem that your 16 year old is causing.

Either that or kick him/her out of the house 😂😂😂

doubledragonxx

All you need to do is get yourself a power bank and make sure you keep it charged up. Will solve the problem that your 16 year old is causing.

Either that or kick him/her out of the house 😂😂😂
Already told him he's on strike 2 one more time and he's not using it. Hey you may think I am being hard on him but I've taken on a 2nd job working in a virtual sandwich bar (aka Cook-Out) to support him :rotfl:

Last edited:

UptownKenshi

Novice Member
This question's been making me a little nuts: I was gifted a Quest 2 by my sister in L.A. so we could do social stuff in it, but I hate wearing it with my glasses, in addition to the weight distribution issue. I've got content on my PS4 I'd love to play in VR (X-Wing, No Man's Sky), but I've also only got the original system, not the Pro (no immediate/urgent plans to upgrade to PS5), which is probably another strike against trading down.

PSVR doesn't have AltSpaceVR, and the only crossplay games I've found so far are Star Trek: Bridge Commander and Rec Room, but the Quest is really just going in a box unless we get on the social angle (haven't yet), but even then I'm not sure if the experience will be worth keeping it.

KingD

This question's been making me a little nuts: I was gifted a Quest 2 by my sister in L.A. so we could do social stuff in it, but I hate wearing it with my glasses, in addition to the weight distribution issue. I've got content on my PS4 I'd love to play in VR (X-Wing, No Man's Sky), but I've also only got the original system, not the Pro (no immediate/urgent plans to upgrade to PS5), which is probably another strike against trading down.

PSVR doesn't have AltSpaceVR, and the only crossplay games I've found so far are Star Trek: Bridge Commander and Rec Room, but the Quest is really just going in a box unless we get on the social angle (haven't yet), but even then I'm not sure if the experience will be worth keeping it.
So what's the difference between one vr headset over your glasses and another?

UptownKenshi

Novice Member
So what's the difference between one vr headset over your glasses and another?
Right, I forgot to address that part: the PlayStation headset is a little deeper inside to accommodate glasses wearers. Quest includes a spacer, but is still tight around my frames, so my glasses shift around when I adjust the headset for comfort.

KingD

Right, I forgot to address that part: the PlayStation headset is a little deeper inside to accommodate glasses wearers. Quest includes a spacer, but is still tight around my frames, so my glasses shift around when I adjust the headset for comfort.
Fair enough was going to suggest the glasses spacer, maybe consider some disposable contacts, or clip on lens? Or perhaps other aftermarket covers give more room? Maybe some other glasses wearers can chime in, maybe worth asking on the quest 2 thread

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett