PSVR sales numbers thread / jdevil's pie challenge

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it sells 2.5 million in the first year, we can all meet up and you lot could smash a pie in my face each. :lol:
As per @jdevil 's statement in the other thread, things are still looking good for the pie-to-face smashing challenge:

PlayStation VR Estimated To Sell 2.6 Million Units By End Of Year

Video game market research company SuperData Research has been crunching a lot of numbers for Sony’s upcoming PlayStation VR headset, leading to some interesting sales predictions.

According to the company’s forecast, Sony will sell around 2,602,370 units of its PSVR headset before the end of 2016.
And remember we have 1 year until after launch (so October 2017) to hit the 2.5 million mark :smashin:
pies at the ready boys!

Last edited:
And I thought this was going to be the PSVRs for sale thread!

I know it will still be early days but I think Christmas will set it up for the next year, good or bad.

Sorry changed to "sales numbers thread"...

As per @jdevil 's statement in the other thread, things are still looking good for the pie-to-face smashing challenge:

PlayStation VR Estimated To Sell 2.6 Million Units By End Of Year

And remember we have 1 year until after launch (so October 2017) to hit the 2.5 million mark :smashin:
pies at the ready boys!

Oh noes! :eek: PSVR stock almost gone!

PSVR Sells Out on Amazon in the US and UK; No Estimated Restock Date | Power Up Gaming

A week on from its launch, and PlayStation VR is no longer available from major online retailer Amazon in either the US or the UK.

The company has now completely sold out of both the PSVR launch bundle and core headset; with no estimated restocking date currently available. ... it recently sold out entirely in Australia ... In the UK, meanwhile, it might be more of a struggle for gamers to get their hands on the system. Leading games retailer GAME currently has no stock available online
Hopefully Sony will get more units soon, and we need some sales numbers Sony :lease:

This will be a massive flop at launch, no one will pay over £300 for add on novelty, especially from a company who's accessories and services always sell poorly.

Love it.

We need figures here, exactly how much have they sold till date????
10k or 500k of stock. These articles are misleading as even Vita/Wii U were out of stock too.

Last edited:
Sales figures for this month will probably be out next month. The X Box One S had almost a 1000% jump at launch. That came out the following month.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ga...ells-50-000-units-in-japan-during-launch-week

"Weekly sales figures show that PlayStation VR shifted more than 50,000 over the course of its debut week in its home market of Japan.

According to 4Gamer, translated by Kotaku, the device was the best-selling video games hardware in the region for the week October 10th to 16th, racking up 51,644 sales. Given that PSVR launched on October 13th, that means the virtual reality headset achieved these sales in just four days.

It's an encouraging start for the platform, and suggests a faster rate of sales than premium PC VR devices such as HTC Vive. Recent reports suggest Vive has sold 140,000 units so far, meaning PlayStation VR has achieved a third of this in just a single territory.

Sales figures for PlayStation VR have yet to emerge from other regions, but SIE president Jim Ryan said on Monday that pre-orders were in the "many hundreds of thousands".

We need figures here, exactly how much have they sold till date????
10k or 500k of stock. These articles are misleading as even Vita/Wii U were out of stock too.

They've all but sold out their initial production run and given projections of >2.5 million by end of year I would speculate that this initial batch would be approaching 1 million units.

I say approaching because if they'd exceeded 1 million we'd have heard about it.

This also makes sense if you consider that Japan represents circa 1/15th of Global PS4 sales (3m out of about 45m) then 50k sales (in 1 week) there would extrapolate to 750k globally. Japanese adoption may be higher than elsewhere, or may not, but you're looking at a 500k-1m ball park IMHO.

If it hasn't already done so, by the end of the year PSVR will have sold more than Oculus Rift and HTC Vive combined - they're at about 750-800k combined.

It's great for VR as a whole if psvr does well. A number of indie PC VR titles will probably find their way to PSVR. Publishers will be more likely to support VR titles if they can sell to multiple platforms - especially as console titles are one of the main drivers for PC games.

Yeah, the more headsets out there whatever the flavour is all for the good.

It's great for VR as a whole if psvr does well. A number of indie PC VR titles will probably find their way to PSVR. Publishers will be more likely to support VR titles if they can sell to multiple platforms - especially as console titles are one of the main drivers for PC games.

Totally agree, hope the more mainstream PS VR results in a push for all VR devices. I really want this format to succeed on all fronts as we , end of the day will see the benifit of it with continued support.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
We have time... More teases, but sounds promising:

PlayStation boss talks PS4 Pro, PS VR and mobile games

So when Digital Spy was granted an exclusive audience with Shuhei Yoshida, the President of Sony's Worldwide Studios, at PSX, we had to discuss everything hardware.

DS: Talking of numbers, you haven't released sales figures for PSVR yet. Why is that?
SY: It's not my role to make that decision.

DS: Are you able to give a broad indication of whether PSVR has met expectations?
SY: Well, it's selling out pretty much everywhere.

DS: What have you made to its reception?
SY: Very, very strong. I couldn't be happier about the situation. I was hoping that when we launched PSVR there would be games that people could enjoy and games that took advantage of VR. I was anticipating that it would take some time for developers to experiment and understand the best uses for VR. I still believe that's the case, but even the games which have already come out – some of them are amazing to play on PSVR. So I'm very happy, and people are continuing to purchase more games for the system, so that's a very good sign.

DS: Is there anything that's surprised you about the way people are using it? Have you learned anything yet?
SY: What was surprising was the amount of time that people are spending in VR. It's kind of a strange thing to say, but because VR games can be intense, I was anticipating that people would spend some time, but not many hours in VR. But looking at the data, people are spending many hours on the system every day. So that's a great thing to know.

So sounds like it's doing better than expected, and used in more than anticipated. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing (as in their game pipeline is/was focused on casual stuff), or a good thing (as they might support it more than anticipated), but shows hope for the future :smashin:

I also think we will see a price drop this year. I reckon £299 at some point.

Anyone have actual sold figures year to date?

Sony doesn't seem to be boasting about this much.

Sony can't boast about sales figures because they can get the thing into store quick enough [emoji23] you can't have sales figures if people can't buy it.

I've read it's doing badly this year: less than 500 units sold :eek:

I've read it's doing badly this year: less than 500 units sold :eek:

Maybe a joke due to demand but are Sony dealing with this well? I'm so close to pulling the trigger but they're not filling me with confidence. I'm NOT buying another Vita (although I used that damn thing every day for about two yrs)

Yeah. Get that. Joking aside.......if the bloody thing was available it might have sold thousands already (in 1.5 days)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom