PSVR General

Damn. Was hoping it would be much sooner with project cars coming out soon and being compatible with morpheus

Last weekend a local cinema had an 'Occulous Rift Red Bull air race' simulation running in their lobby. After trying that I have decided that I really really need this awesome bit of kit

Have you read the evolution could be as low as the 3DS, it was on th IGN podcast. This saddens me somewhat

I have google cardboard and an s4 with a 1080p screen but the screen door effect was bad enough

Have you read the evolution could be as low as the 3DS, it was on th IGN podcast. This saddens me somewhat

I have google cardboard and an s4 with a 1080p screen but the screen door effect was bad enough

Tend to not believe anything on the IGN podcast. The ignorance of some of their guys is astounding.

Tend to not believe anything on the IGN podcast. The ignorance of some of their guys is astounding.
(1080p doesn't matter over 720p unless your screen is bigger than 50")

What are you talking about? Those guys are solid with their info.

It's funny because last gen a 3 fps difference in a game was a big deal, yet this gen it doesn't matter.

nb - commenting on an issue with gaming journalism rather than the underlying issue of whether 3fps or 1080/720 matters.

Assuming you meant resolution here.

According to everything I've seen the resolution is going to be 960 x 1080 for each eye - making it 1080p overall. The 3DS is 400x240 per eye ........ so not even close.

So not as low as the 3DS, more than 10x greater o_O

See here for an example: Project Morpheus Almost Complete

Last edited:
I've got Cardboard for my Nexus 5 and I find the resolution is good enough, if you concentrate yeah you can see the pixels but it's not massively noticeable. Gotta say I love Cardboard, its the only time I've tried VR and I love it already, Tuscany Dive is my favourite.. that feeling you get when you go inside the house then go up the stairs and look out over the balcony... so cool! Really excited to see what Sony come out with.

Do we reckon more info at CES next month? While an exciting product its going to be very difficult to get across this with out hands on demos.

Its going to rely on the games.

It's worth watching the PSX panel on Morpheus. It's been uploaded on Playstation youtube channel.

Impressions from PSX show floor appear to have been positive.

Fairly sure EVE: Valkyrie is also all but confirmed as a Morpheus launch title.

GDC 2015 – Project Morpheus Update

The latest news from GDC

Hello from GDC 2015! About a year ago, we unveiled a prototype for Project Morpheus, the virtual reality (VR) system for PlayStation 4. Since then, we’ve been hard at work making the system even better. I’m pleased to return to GDC with an update on our progress, bringing us one step closer to its consumer release. We believe VR will shape the future of games, and I can’t wait for you to try Project Morpheus when it launches in the first half of 2016.

Our goal with VR is to deliver a sense of presence, making the player feel as though they’ve stepped inside the world of a game. The new Project Morpheus prototype brings us closer to that goal, as it improves the visual experience and tracking accuracy, both of which are critical to achieving sense of presence.

Key changes:
  • OLED display – In exchange for the 5 inch LCD, the new Morpheus VR headset is equipped with a 5.7 inch 1920 X RGB X 1080 resolution OLED display. This new screen expands the field of view and enables low persistence, removing motion blur.
  • 120hz refresh rate – The previous refresh rate spec has been doubled for this new prototype, which means games for Morpheus can be rendered at 120fps. When combined with the OLED display’s high refresh rate and the power of PS4, Morpheus is able to output amazingly smooth visuals.
  • Super low latency – We know how critical low latency is to delivering a great VR experience, and we’ve reduced latency to less than 18ms, about half of what the first Morpheus prototype had. Low latency is critical to deliver a sense of presence, at the same time making the VR experience comfortable to players.
  • More accurate tracking- To make positional tracking more precise, we’ve added three LEDs to the headset – one on the front and two on the side – for a total of nine LEDs to support robust 360 degree tracking.
  • User-friendly design – We’ve made the Morpheus VR headset easier to put on and take off, with a single band design and quick release button. The headband supports the weight of the unit on the top of your head, so there is no pressure on your face. Other components have also been adjusted and configured to make the headset lighter, so that players do not find the headset cumbersome or uncomfortable to use.

Revealing this new prototype is an important step in our journey to release Project Morpheus, but there is more to come. We’ll share additional details at E3 and beyond. In particular, we’ll show more VR games at E3 and later events as we get closer to launch.

A new dimension of gaming is almost here, and PlayStation again is at the forefront with Project Morpheus.

Im going to call it now.

£199 for Morpheus with a game included
£299 for Morpheus with 2 games, a camera and 2 Move controllers

There's a digital foundry hands on here -

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Sony's near-final Project Morpheus • Eurogamer.net

It does sound superb. I really see this as being huge within my favourite game genre (racing games). They could sell 'Move Gloves' which track your hands on the wheel and allow them to be displayed within the cockpit in real time. You could then actually select switches within the cockpit (to turn on/off driving aids, acticate launch control, pit request, lights etc.). From watching Rift demos on PC racing sims, it seems that the only real negative is that your actual hands do not display in game and if you are using physical button boxes or buttons on the wheel, it can be tough to use them with the display on. If everything was tracked in real space within the game world, then it would get around this as you would move your hands in game and just press virtual buttons etc. They could even map the wheel rim you are using, so that the buttons on the rim map up in game with the real rim you are holding.

VR has to be the most exciting thing in gaming right now and it's fantastic that we finally have units which look to be in a state where they can become retail ready! Hopefully there will be a load more on Morpheus at E3 this year.

Guess early 2016 is a good shout too as theres less games out and people will have more money to spend.

The 18ms latency is also good and is pretty much in line with the latency you would expect from a standard TV. If they can reduce that even lower then that will be great, but if the whole input and screen refresh happens at 18ms, then that is damn good to be honest and should be pretty undetectable, providing a very fluid experience. I'd love to see this down to say around 6ms, but that's not bad at all.

What does everyone think im regards to pricing?

They'll obviously repackage Playstation Move to go along with this

What does everyone think im regards to pricing?

They'll obviously repackage Playstation Move to go along with this

£199 for the HMD only, £259 with camera and a couple of Move controllers.

Tech demos bundle e.g. London Heist, etc to be included foc.

Reading between the lines "first half 2016" leans towards a launch at E3 2016. I would expect to see the first real games announced at this E3, with more announcements, further details at Gamescom and TGS.

We'll find out the price at E3 next year.

£300 packed with the move controllers and camera is my sweet spot. I'll be happily surprised if it's cheaper.

£300 packed with the move controllers and camera is my sweet spot. I'll be happily surprised if it's cheaper.
Slightly worried about you...

My sweet spot is not money related at all...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom