PSVR General

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I tried a couple of switch boxes, both resulted in the screen going black on the tv when playing HDR games, completely random, could happen anytime, sometimes it corrected itself, sometimes it wouldn’t.

Not the ideal solution, but waited until there was a decent deal on and traded my V1 for a V2.

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Looks like standard turret fodder with a bit of customisation.
We are getting a lot of basic game types on PSVR at the moment as more of the PC stuff is getting ported over. Makes it more difficult for people to find the wheat amongst the chaff.

I've been playing through Freediver: Triton Down recently. The immersion of it is great, but another painfully short experience.

At least we have a summer release window confirmed for Pistol Whip. I'm really looking forward to that one.

mark1080p

Hello....

I’m thinking of buying a PSVR headset, but wanted your advice, if this is the right time or wait?

I could be wrong of course, or Possibly a jan sale, but thought they were are around the £199 mark pre lockdown.

I see they are £299 - £399 so wondering if I was way out in my above assumption, or like The Nintendo Switches they are taking the biscuit.

I ask, as i have a fantastic record of buying things literally days before the drop in price, especially PS4 games.

if they are normally £299 then fair enough. Happy to wait a few weeks if the prices are likely to drop heavily.

thanks in advance

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Hello....

I’m thinking of buying a PSVR headset, but wanted your advice, if this is the right time or wait?

I could be wrong of course, or Possibly a jan sale, but thought they were are around the £199 mark pre lockdown.

I see they are £299 - £399 so wondering if I was way out in my above assumption, or like The Nintendo Switches they are taking the biscuit.

I ask, as i have a fantastic record of buying things literally days before the drop in price, especially PS4 games.

if they are normally £299 then fair enough. Happy to wait a few weeks if the prices are likely to drop heavily.

thanks in advance
No I would wait for a decent price drop. I and quite a few others bought on Black Friday some time ago for £170 and personally I wouldn't pay much more than £200 as it'll be superseded by a new version in probably a 18-24 months.

The question is whether there will be a sale as there might be a shortage of them and who knows if Sony are even making them any more (hopefully they are). If you can I would hold off until maybe Prime Day sale or even Black Friday this year but there could be a price drop before those.

Just checkout how the price has changed for the starter pack over the past years

daveb975

I seem to remember paying about £170 as well around Black Friday in 2018.

I think that £299 is probably the full price and they are happy charging that because demand is so high during the lockdown. Other headsets like the Oculus Quest just aren't available at all apart from through price gougers on eBay etc.

mark1080p

Awesome, thanks guys... I though they were selling for much cheaper. I think I will hold out for now

AMc

Distinguished Member
Camel Camel Camel shows Amazon selling the starter pack for £170 Nov 2018 it was £180 earlier this year so I'd definitely wait.

Similar things have happened with the price of the driving wheels and pedals. I was looking at a Logitech G29 that was £180 with the pedals and gear shifter and it went up over £100 in less than a week.

There are a lot of very bored people sitting at home and limited stocks of toys for us to buy so the prices have climbed like mad. In some cases the RRP is pretty high but there are often discounts - at the moment no discounts :(

Lancia34

Distinguished Member

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Hello....

thanks in advance
Hey, just want to chime in with a different train of thought.

When I desire something, I simply shop for the best price at the time of my initial desire and if in my budget, I go for it. Everything goes down in price over time and on black friday, and other seasonal deals. Games fall in price, even just a couple months after release. Yet many gamers buy it on release because the desire to play it as soon as possible is strong.

I bought my psvr package in October, just a month before black Friday when I could have saved about £40-50 on packages with games. But I have absolutely no regrets, I knew it would but that extra four weeks of joy I had was worth it when my desire to play it was strong... and still is over 2 and half years later.

Do you have regrets over the stuff you buy going down in price weeks or month later? or do you enjoy your stuff regardless of what you paid?

I am the latter. Life is short to be waiting for price reductions but of course only if within my budget otherwise I would wait until I can afford.

PSVR has been an absolute life saver for me during this lockdown. It has kept me fit both physically and mentally!

So given the lockdown, if you desire it, I would shop best price and availability and go for it, however much it goes down by black friday, would be worth the joy you got out of it during these anxiety ridden times.

Just some different food for thought :)

Goooner

Distinguished Member
You could wait forever for a price drop, or new version of something. There's always something newer or cheaper around the corner.

I'm with @TheyCallMeTJ if you want it and can afford it, go for it.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
You could wait forever for a price drop, or new version of something. There's always something newer or cheaper around the corner.

I'm with @TheyCallMeTJ if you want it and can afford it, go for it.
I guess in a way although the fact the question was asked makes out possibly unsure of the cost especially when you add in the cost of games.
£299 on Amazon will get you Astrobot, RE7, Everybody's Golf and Skyrim so maybe £60 of games in sales which are must haves. That makes it £240 so need to weigh up if that’s worth it.

I definitely got my money’s worth but then I spent over £100 on VR games in the first 2 months. It’s expensive but ultimately down to what someone can afford and think something is worth :)

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Surprise release for The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners. Out now on the UK PSN store for 28.99.

This was really well received on the Oculus headsets.
Saw a few playthroughs and looks very good. Wonder how the graphics will be on PSVR. Might wait for it to be in a sale though I think.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Its the same old problem again. For me, it aint about graphics, our headset has a great innovative display...its about the Move controllers only support. All FPS games using move controller tremendously sucks for me unless its using the Aim Controller or even a DS4. But DS4 and Aim drawback is we lose the sense of VR immersion when handling bows or melee weapons. The lack of second nature freedom when using Moves to easily strafe and move backwards while counter attacking as we do in normal 2D FPS games is a serious handicap and enjoyment killer...for me. Those of you that have adapted to the painful Moves in FPS games, I'm happy for you!

The only FPS games that work brilliantly for me are the ones using AIM such as Borderlands, Farpoint, Arizona Sunshine, Firewall Zero Hour and even the tragic Doom FVR and Team Combat. Skyrim works well with DS4 but again lose that melee and bow/arrow immersion.

From what I can see, there is no Aim or DS4 Support so I won't be ever buying it even in sales unless there is a disk release, I'll try it out and trade it.

Also, why does it not feature in the PSVR games section new releases. I could only find it by doing a search. Maybe later it will appear.

Last edited:

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Sort of ironic that they are called Move controllers, when movement in most VR games isn't very intuitive.

I don't really have much problem with them in games like Skyrim or No Man's Sky, I guess I have just got used to using them for movement.

A number of PSVR titles don't end up in the VR section, for whatever reason.

mark1080p

I bought one in the end. Thanks to the amount of birthday money received it pretty much covered the cost of the PSVR

rss

Saw a few playthroughs and looks very good. Wonder how the graphics will be on PSVR. Might wait for it to be in a sale though I think.
Spent a few hours on it last night and really enjoying it so far. I knew nothing about the original game so only discovered it yesterday. Controls really well even with the Moves.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Spent a few hours on it last night and really enjoying it so far. I knew nothing about the original game so only discovered it yesterday. Controls really well even with the Moves.
Good to know your thoughts after a few hours - seems quite a slow paced game...is it quite immersive and graphics hold up reasonably ok?