PSVR 2 Confirmed for PS5

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Was coming here to post this, brilliant! im just glad they are still interested in VR because its been so quiet from them.

Confirmed that its wired, not wireless, but just 1 wire and no breakout box.

Also brand new controllers taking features from the new DuelSense 5 controller , so thats got to be feedback triggers and haptics.

Also no mention of camera, so hopefully its insideout tracking, and no need for a camera and glowy balls on sticks, also makes sense that the ds5 has no light on it but im sure will be used for some games.

A year away at least but pretty happy about this.

Last edited:
FANTASTIC. I'll start saving now!

Great to hear something even if there is no specs just yet, Still wired is to be expected we are not at the stage for 100% latency-free at AAA levels for wireless, not even PC can do that.

No camera it seems which leads to inside tracking which the patents suggested so that's great, none of the current PSVR issues with relying on the camera to track controllers or the headset, it should make for a much better gameplay experience especially with the new controllers for it.

Not this year for release i expected as much what with the current situation delaying many things I would guess October/November of 2022 around the time the current PSVR released

Great news! I loved the VR experience on the PS4, but sadly it was often too much of a pain to set up and use. I also suffered from sickness on some games which limited my use of it. If they can make it less cumbersome in terms of wires etc. then that will be great. Not using a camera to track will also be a bonus. Other than that, reducing the weight would be great, as well as obviously the screen resolution. The key one is what they can do to reduce the motion sickness aspect as that does limit the audience as a piece of serious gaming kit.

Great news! I loved the VR experience on the PS4, but sadly it was often too much of a pain to set up and use. I also suffered from sickness on some games which limited my use of it. If they can make it less cumbersome in terms of wires etc. then that will be great. Not using a camera to track will also be a bonus. Other than that, reducing the weight would be great, as well as obviously the screen resolution. The key one is what they can do to reduce the motion sickness aspect as that does limit the audience as a piece of serious gaming kit.

Sony did have some patents around reducing sickness in VR so it will be interesting to see what they can do.

I had very mixed results with games on PSVR. Some games I'd be fine with full smooth movement and others would make me sick in a couple of minutes.

I hope they stick with the halo design, the PSVR is one of the comfyest headsets for me, more comfortable that the quest which is very front heavy.

I’ve held off VR due to it being new tech and gambled that the PS5 will deliver a better all round experience, so I’m very happy to hear this...take my money

YES! absolutely brilliant news. VR takes things to a different level and I honestly didn't know if Sony would continue with it.
I'm over the moon with this news.
I'm fine with a single cable as well, upgraded screen and control system will be awesome.

Some good positive info re the next VR iteration. Ticks the main box the majority would have i'd say in new controllers specifically for VR, which will really open up the immersive and gaming design potential significant;y. Plus hopefully the tracking method not requiring the camera will be a massive improvement. I know many want wireless, but personally a single cable is no issue for me as will no doubt have plenty of length as the current PSVR one does so never a problem. I think it was always inevitable as the perfoirmance will be better wired.

I've not used my PSVR anywhere near enough, much like the PS4 in general really, but some of the experiences had have been fantastic. Have many games bought in sales i've still not even tried. Have been thinking once i get a PS5 i'll dip back in as hope the slight improvements (as for the Pro via back compat) will make it a better experience than on my Slim, even if only slightly. Did feel a bit rough on a few games but never really played enough consistently to get my VR legs to see if it would cease... on that though i've always thought once hardware is capable to produce a clean smooth textured image a lot of the nausea inducing aspects will reduce by default, which can only be a god thing.

Currently in no rush for a PS5 but will grab one as soon as readily available without the hassle, hopefully in a few months. Will definitely be all over this new PSVR when it launches, unless a crazy price early on, in which case i may wait...that said, GT7 with great visuals, full grids and i'm in day one.

Strong rumours of the next Horizon game having some element of VR; maybe not the full game, but perhaps some VR encounters/experiences. Yes please.

Not sure how that;s gong to work if Horizon makes its release date and comes out this year and VR isnt coming till 2022 or 2023. Might be a waste of there time.

Patent filed by Sony...
could be the PSVR2 controller

1614772361822.png

what will happen to all the old ps4 VR titles because they use the old camera tracking technology to work and wouldnt work if they change to inside out tracking

what will happen to all the old ps4 VR titles because they use the old camera tracking technology to work and wouldnt work if they change to inside out tracking

Hard to say for sure, but I would guess Sony would find a way for the PS4 titles to work, there is still plenty to come this year and the next plus the ones already released for them to simply abandon them all.

update on the sony blog showing the new controllers they look great to me.

Love it

Sony handing out information like sweets!!

Great but we know its years away, so much info?

Could it be sooner than we think?

Are Sony drip feeding info to guage interest!

GIVE IT US!!

So take with tanker sized pile of salt with this but some supposed new PSVR 2 info has been "leaked"

Resolution: 4000 × 2040 (2000×2040 per eye) the highest at the moment is the Oculus 2 at 1832 x 1920 per eye

Foveated rendering: This means anything in the users' peripheral vision that isn't being looked at directly will be rendered in lower quality reducing rendering workload for the hardware.

inside-out tracking: the headset's onboard cameras will be used to track the position of the new controllers.

Connects via a USB-C type cable that plugs into the port at the front of the PS5.

Sold my PSVR but grabbed a PS5 today so this is back on the wanted list. Looks a massive upgrade in everything that was needed. Roll on 2022.

Whether those specs are real or not, the next headset is going to be a big step up compared to PSVR. I've recently been playing Iron Man VR and it's a lot of fun. I hope the devs are working on a PSVR2 sequel

I think those specs are quite believable. It’s not going to launch this year and the resolution is only slightly better than Oculus.

Other specs that were leaked were gaze tracking, lens adjustment and haptics on the headset.

Combined with the new controllers I think this is going to be a great step up.

I think those specs are quite believable. It’s not going to launch this year and the resolution is only slightly better than Oculus.

Other specs that were leaked were gaze tracking, lens adjustment and haptics on the headset.

Combined with the new controllers I think this is going to be a great step up.
If true It's double the resolution per eye than the Occulus, how is that only a slight increase.

If true It's double the resolution per eye than the Occulus, how is that only a slight increase.

2000 x 2040 per eye (PSVR2 rumour) vs 1832 x 1980 per eye (Oculus) isn’t double.

4.08 million pixels vs 3.63 million is 12% more.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom