1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU wont fire up...big disappointment

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by gslater, May 28, 2005.

1. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I have just spent the last three days building my first htpc...I took every precaution possible and carefully connected everything up and then this afternoon I "hit the on switch" expecting something to happen...but nothing....not even a peep...why...have I been bad in some previous life. I'm sure I dont deserve his. ok so you can feel the disappointment here so please someone help me :( . Is it as simple as a duff PSU...it is a horrendously expensive SilenX 450W jobby so I would have thought for just shy of 100 quid it might just work off the bat.

Is there something else I am missing? If not even the PSU fan is working does that automaticxally mean it is the PSU which is faulty.

...and before anyone asks...yes I sis plug it in and ensured the socket was turned on...also tried various sockets and also tried different lead into the PSU.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you double checked that you've connected the correct cables (little plugs actually) from the case power switch to the correct motherbaord headers/pins?

:smoke:

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Have you made sure any power switch on the PSU itself has been switched to the on position. Some motherboards have an LED on them that will light when the board is recieving power. If its lit the problem isn't the PSU but the motherboard itself.

It does sound like the main power switch might not be connected to the motherboard correctly.

4. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably there is a short circuit somewhere. Switchmode PSU's will shut down instantly in this case, appearing to be dead. The commonest reason is connectors plugged in upside down / shifted along / shifted across. Sometimes a card will short the socket unless it is fully plugged home. Sometimes you will have shorted the motherboard to the case with a loose screw, or an assembly screw that's too long. Surprisingly, it's unusual to cause any actual damage because of this.

An actual device fault can also cause a short circuit.

The procedure is to check for case/screw shorts, and to unplug stuff (both power & data) until the PSU will start. Usually you will see your silly mistake at this point, and be able to reconnect the device correctly.

5. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks....now got the PSU working...corrected the connections to the motherboard from the case power switch.

now my mobo is working (the fans are all spinning, but I cannot get the bios to post. Will start re-checking all the connections.. :mad:

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this happen three times and each time it has been because the AGP card was not seated correctly.

It even happened today when I had removed an hard disk drive Switched on and nothing! Pushed down on the graphics card and bingo, it burst into life.

Dave

7. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Still having problems...have disconnected the hard drive, floppy, DVD and it still wont post (have checked seating of the graphics card) and still no luck.

Should the motherboard beep when it fires up...I dont hear anything! (I have a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo with gigabyte 6600GT graphics card in the PCI-E slot)

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will only beep if you have power to the board AND you have the speaker connected to the correct pins.

Have you double checked the pin connections?

9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've just been building a htpc with the same motherboard and had the same problem. For me it turned out to be the RAM in the wrong slot. A single stick needs to be in the first turquoise slot next to the purple. Dual sticks need to be in the same one and the first purple one.

10. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have corsair twinX memory modules...so looking to do dual memory....at the moment I have them in the two closest slots next to the cpu ie first turquoise one and first purple one.

Guess I should try re-seating the memory...this is a hassle as I have fitted a Zalman cooler which takes up a lot of space and makes it tricky :(

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Put a single stick of ram in first and see if this makes a difference.

12. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    On my mobo for dual memory I had to put them in the slots of the same colour e.g. slot 1 and slot 3.

13. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the MSI Neo4 requires that duaL channel memory be in different colour slots (unlike the DFI Lan party boards for example)

I have now tried with only on stick of ram and still nothing.

At this stage all I have connected to the mobo is:
    - PSU
    - CPU (and Zalman cooler fan)
    - one stick of ram (in green slot)
    - Gigabyte 600gt graphics card
    - case power switch
    - keyboard & mouse

....still nothing...this has to be the bare minimum to get the ****ing thing to post surely!!

14. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Memory's a bit hazy, but some ideas to try :-

Have you checked to make sure the clips on the metal template with the holes for the keyboard, mouse, usb etc is not touching other bits of metal on the case? The most frequent one i've seen this happen with is the ps/2 sockets for mouse and keyboard. I usually just cut these clips off.

If it's not this, remove the case from the chassis. Remove all devices, including memory, so that you've just got the two power connectors attached to the board. Ensure the speaker connector is connected so you can hear any error codes.

Power up. You should hear an error code. The back of the manual should indicate that it either refers to no video card, or no memory.

If this is the case, then power down, and attach memory. Power up, and you should get a video error message beep code.

Power off, attach VGA card (remember about the clip). If your graphics card needs it, also attach a power cable from the PSU.
    Power up. All being well, the system should power up, and you get a display. If there's an error code, look up what its referring to.

From there on, just keep on attaching each bit, step by step. I'd go with the floppy drive next, and hdd etc.

15. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok...first I need to sort out the speaker part...my problem is that there are pin connections on the motherboard for a spaeker but the only speaker I have is from my screen....the connector is an ordinary line out connectoer and therefore will not connect onto the mobo.

If I connect to the line out on the back plate will I also hear the "beeps" from the screen speaker?

Have checked the keyboard and mouse and thoise are not touching the case.

16. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You may find that there is a connector on the motherboard that will allow you to route speaker output connection into the sound device, but these vary from motherboard to motherboard.

Hmmmm..If there definately isnt a speaker mounted in your case, then i'd even suggest popping into Maplin and getting one, with the required connectors. They can be got for just a couple of quid, and it can be handy when you need to diagnose why a system isnt starting up.

17. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just out of interest, are you using a usb mouse or keyboard? if so then try restarting with these unplugged as I have heard people having problems with booting this mobo with usb devices connected! (if you have usb to ps2 connecter use that)

Secondly, and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, have you connected the square 4-pin connecter (next to the CPU ), I have also read about problems relating to a -5v connection on pin 20 of the mobo's psu connector, when apparently the ATX psu design specifications say that this pin isn't used :confused:

18. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am using PS2 mouse & keyboard so that should be ok

Both 4 pin and 20 pin are securely plugged into the mobo (no offence taken)

...I will try Maplin for a speaker tommorrow....can t see one anywhere in the case... (hope they are open on bank hols monday)...in the meanwhile the board came with a D-bracket and led's which I am hoping will give me some indication as to the error codes

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    Make sure you have the VGA card in PCI-E slot 1, and that the Sli option is set correctly.

20. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It could be a dead cmos battery, do you have an old mobo that you could swap the battery with? ( I think they are normally a 'CR2032')

Also, does your graphics card have/need a seperate power connecter, maybe a white molex or something similar, does the graphics card have a fan? if so does it spin when you press the power button?

21. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Is the cmos shorting pin in the normal or reset position? some mobos come with it in the reset position and it won't boot like that.

Gary.

22. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    another thing to check is that you have the cpu seated correctly and the the heatsink is also seated flush on the cpu.
    if these are ok then the only thing i can suggest (bit of a pain) but rip everything out and try booting it up with the motherboard out of the case and sitting on the antistatic bag. hth .best of luck, i know how annoying it can be but dont give up you WILL get it sorted :0)

23. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    That's a good point - if the heatsink is incorrectly set onto the CPU, the CPU will overheat and die within seconds. I was once given an incorrect heatsink when I bought a mobo/cpu/memory bundle some years ago, and it destroyed the CPU. After a lot of bother they exchanged my CPU and heatsink and things were fine.

Gary.

24. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the useful comments....I have now had success....I first installed a D-Bracket which had 4 led lights which gave me the error codes...looked on MSI website and the lights indicated that it was the CPU at fault.

So, I proceeded to strip away everything back to the bare motherboard and took out the CPU....when I tried to re-insert it I found it did not fit "smoothly" into the socket but with a little bit of careful jiggling it finally came around. I proceeded to re-apply the thermal paste and fit the cooler fan, followed by the graphics card and hey presto....it posted :thumbsup:

Thanks again to everyone for their help, it is much appreciated, especially since this is my first build.

Wish me luck as I now try and get the rest of the kit re-assembled!!

25. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear you got it sorted :smashin:

26. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Everything now fully up and running....working like a dream. Has taken most of the day to get software loaded up and fully configured but its worth it in the end. :clap:

Still a bit of tidying to do....still using PS2 kboard & mouse but will switch top gyration once the mouse is fully charged. Cover is off the PC but seeing as it took so long I might just keep it that way for a few more hours to fully appreciate the toil of the past few days :rotfl:

27. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Always tricky the first time you build it yourself. Patience and carefulness are what you want.(being sober is handy also) Well done.

28. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    nice one gslater hope she serves you well :0)

Mark