1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Solution Needed

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Hawklan, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Guys

I need to source a new PSU
    My old one pushes out 230 watt for the following spec machine – It’s overheating due to the load

Motherboard: A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm
    Graphics Card:Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT 128Ma VIVO PCI-E (Fanless)
    Sound Card:LynxTwo B
    Case:Stands Unique 390A
    Hard Drive 1:Seagate 7200.8 300GB
    Hard Drive 2:Seagate 7200.7 200GB
    RAM:1 GB Kingmax PC3200 SuperRAM 400Mhz
    DVD Drive:NEC ND3520 16x 16 DVD±RW
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright xp120

Now here is the problam - with my case I can’t fit a ATX PSU and a Micro ATX will not push out enough

I'm playing with the idea of using a Modular Power Supply – Doing this I can place the PSU outside of the case and unplug the internal power leads from the PSU when I need to move the case

Ideally a SLI certified, 4 Sata connector solution would be great. Obviously being outside it needs to be as quiet as possible or ideaaly passive

Do you guys know if such a PSU exists falling that the closest to it. I must admidt PSU's are one of the areas where I have a knowledge gap so any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

RON

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    How hard have you looked for high output MATX psu's? SilenX make a 320 watt MATX psu sold by at least one retailer I know and Seasonic are about to introduce an efficient 300 watt model to the UK. Both should run your setup without issues (or excessive noise). Alternatively try modding your setup to mount the PSU outside and buy a silent PSU such as the Silverstone model.

3. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

I know about the Silenx 320 PSU ,Stands unique even supply something similar themselves - a 300W (ish) server PSU
    But was really looking for a bit more power something in the region of 450 Watts enough to cover the addition of another couple of Hard Drives and maybe another 6600 GT in SLi mode in the future
    That why I was looking at a modular system where I could do exactly as your are suggesting and mount outside the case
    Hopefully a SLI certified passive version - I haven't been able to find one that ticks all these boxes by hopefully one of you guys know of one in the pipeline

Many thanks

RON