PSU Requirement for Desktop

Spoof

Hello,
not sure about this one so am after some advice. I have a shuttle jpc 775 with a 300W power supply which I use as a HTPC and gaming now and then (have E7200 at moment).
I want to upgrade to a Q9550 soon. Do you think my power supply has enough wattage as I may also want to stick in a 6670 later on as well. Am little worried if it will handle it and also may need something other than the stock cooler to handle the heat as looks like they can get hot hot.
It is rated 95W TDP so I assume it guzzles up that 95W and no more so am thinking that it should be alright but any advice well taken.
Best Kaye

paulktreg

You are probably looking at 200~225W maximum with the Q9550 & 6670 so if it's a decent power supply you should be fine. (Could only find a Shuttle XPC775 and this had a 250W power supply?).

Spoof

You are probably looking at 200~225W maximum with the Q9550 & 6670 so if it's a decent power supply you should be fine. (Could only find a Shuttle XPC775 and this had a 250W power supply?).

thanks paulktreg and you are right it is 250W one my mistake. Think i wont upgrade it yet without upgrading the supply first. dont think it is 80+ rated either.

paulktreg

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The minim recommended psu for this card is a 400w

Card manufacturer recommendations are optimistic to allow for very power hungry CPUs and poorer quality power supplies, they shouldn't be taken as an absolute minimum. The 6670 only uses 55-60W itself for example and I'd be happy running it on a 250W power supply if I knew the rest of the system's power use was below ~140W. I would say the Q9550 as well is a step too far for the 250W supply though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom