1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

psu problems

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by peve3, Apr 26, 2003.

1. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all,
    basically i just build my own killer pc, might remeber me from the fastest motherboard thread. i thinck i might ov let go on the psu tho, it sometimes freezes for about 5 secs then its ok.
    i have a 3.06 gig 1024 ram but my psu is only 400w
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Sparkle_148.html

its the one at the bottom
    i went for this one cause all the other psu seem to have two fans and my case does not have a hole on top to alow me to have two
    or at least thats what i thought !!

is it really my psu cause i dont really want to get another one, or should i just get a faster one !!
    could u tell me what wat i should have my psu !!

plz help

:suicide:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    I thought the two fans were one to suck air in to the PSU from the inside of the case(rather than just a grill), and the other to expel the air. In fact you have two exhaust fans just they blow though the same hole.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I doubt that is a PSU issue. PSU cause crashes and reboots.

Usually when things are freezing it is down to either ACPI or mice in the wrong port. Try swapping the mouse from whatever port it is in, PS/2 or USB into the other.

If you want to try turning off ACPI then do a search on the net. The only downside is that you lose the ability to shutdown automatically or windows to shutdown for you.

4. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    k i tried doing that mouse thing and it seemed ok, and my pc was going ok for a few days then last night i switched it off. And when i came to turn it back on the monitor would not boot up. the pc sounds like its going into windows but it is not showing on the screen. So i cheked all the wires and plugs and they all seemed fine, so i then opened up my pc and cheacked inside just making shore nothing had come out but it seemed ok

any ideas ?

5. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Download and install Motherboard monitor (MBM) you should be able to see how well your power supply is coping.

As for your monitor not booting, put the mouse back where it was and see if it works again.
    I plugged a network cable in once and it stopped the monitor booting, I did as you did and opened checked it all put it all back together and it still didn't work, I unplugged the network cable and it came on fine :confused:

Anyway give us a list of ALL of your hardware plus what os and drivers you have installed.

6. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well the network card is a part ov the motherboard which is the Gigabyte GA-8INXP "Granite Bay" Motherboard details here:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Gigabyte.html

my G card is geforce 3 titanium 500 i have the latest drivers for that. The processor is pentium 4 3.06 runing using windows 98 SE OS. There are only a few problems i have had with my pc and they are:
    when it boots up it says cant find drivers for sata raid i dont have a clue what that is so cant do jack !!
    also this monitor problem which i dont no what it is i have not taken anything out !
    and when i play command and conquer generals it says system problems or it says plz make shore u have 64 mg g card or the latest direct x drivers which i do !!
    O and it has never detected the floppy drive so i cant install the latest bios drives or use a windows 98 boots disk !!
    And the last thing some times it says system running on low memory even tho i have 1024 ram !!
    apart from them its ok !!
    but i cant fix or do anything till i got the monitor thing sorted!! The last thing i was doing was making a network between my pc and my xbox and tranfering movies onto my modified xboxs harddrive and when i finished doing that i played halo online for a bit but as the fan on my pc is pretty loud i switched pc off !! then the next day i went to go on my pc and bam its not working!!

also dont no if this is usuall but u cant screw the motherboard to the case very tightly cause it did not boot. thats when i was building it, so its pretty losely screwed i was switching it on and the fans would work then stop so i losened the screws and it worked after that. Just wanted to know if it was a regular problem thats all !!

Cause i know some ov u people here have built about 8 pc so u must know what you are doing !!

This is my first build and its pretty dam anoying, yes u save alot ov money but if it goes wrong like mine its a pain !! If i could sort all this crazy malony out id be sorted im shore someone out there can help me !!!

Thx for any help !!

7. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm, I'd be inclined to take it apart and start again. (although not the CPU/HSF leave them in place)

The motherboard will fit perfectly into a case, if not you've done something wrong, or the case is bent or somethings wrong with it. Check there is nothing touching the underside of it too.

Next I'd seriously suggest using either windows 2000 or XP as you have so much ram, I seem to remember issues with 98 and lots of it. Not to mention the fact that 98 sucks compared to 2k/xp ;)

I'd assume the SATA raid stuff can be disabled in the bios which you should do, unless of course you are using a SATA drive.

As for the floppy drive, also check the bios. Its possible with it being a legacy device its automatically disabled. Failing that it could be faulty or the cable(s) installed incorectly.

Good luck, if nothing else you learn a lot about computers by troubleshooting them :)

8. MAXPING

MAXPING

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be overheating problem whats the cpu temp when it locks up ?

9. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    allright i just might do that today, the anoying thing is my friends have all got xp but they got it when they bought there pcs and microsoft dont issue it on cd so i cant use it !!!

10. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No microsoft issue it to companies such as Dell who put it on their own CD which will only install on Dell Machines. This is because that copy is tied to that machine and its illegal for you to install on a second machine.

You can buy a copy of Home edition for about £80, www.overclockers.co.uk or www.tekheads.co.uk both sell it.
    If you just want to test it you may still be able to order a trial copy from microsoft www.microsoft.com/uk/technet/preview

As Maxping said it could be overheating, motherboard monitor will also let you keep an eye on your CPU temp.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    A tip is to clean the fans every now and again I one had a power shut down because the fan on the power supply had got full of dust. Some of the innards of the power supply melted; fortunately it still worked when it cooled down.
    Warning when cleaning the fan do it when switched of at the mains, and do not open the powers supply box.

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me thinks I'd better not mention water cooling in this thread :rotfl:

As said, dump '98 (or dual boot - oops, no, on 2nd thoughts, don't dual boot).

Beyond that.......not much help I'm afraid - too vague to narrow it down.

13. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I read somewhere that win98se does not like 1GB or Ram at all, better to keep it to 512.