PSU problem?

duncfunk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Got a strange problem which I'm assuming is the PSU but just thought I'd post to see if anyone has had a similar issue before. Basically if I hit the power switch the PC will power up for 1 second, power down, and then attempt to restart every 3 seconds or so by itself. The PSU fan remains on between all of the attempted restarts.

I've Googled the issue and the likely culprits are either the PSU, the motherboard, or a short somewhere. I'm assuming the PSU has just given up the ghost and doesn't have the juice to get the system running anymore. The PC wasn't used for a few days before the problem so it could have been caused by a power surge or something? It's a 480W Enermax Noisetaker and was the only component I didn't change last time I did an upgrade. More than likely it's been under a bit of strain powering my system (i5 750, 5770 gfx).

Assuming it is the PSU does anyone have any recommendations? Was looking at these two from Amazon as I need a retailer that delivers to Ireland.

Cooler Master RS650-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series 650W 80 Plus Power Supply Unit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

OCZ OCZ600MXSP-UK ModXStream Pro 600W ATX Power Supply: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ive no idea what it is but i'd have thought it was a fault on the mobo somewhere, have you tried removing components and booting one by one to see if that sorts it.

Get a corsair psu rather than those.

Not had a chance to try troubleshooting yet as it only happened last night. What's the minimum I need to start with when troubleshooting?

Sounds exactly the same as what happened when my PSU failed. Luckily had a spare to test. Does your mobo have any fault lights?

It's a 480W Enermax Noisetaker and was the only component I didn't change last time I did an upgrade. More than likely it's been under a bit of strain powering my system (i5 750, 5770 gfx).

I doubt it's lack of capacity unless you've got half a dozen hard drives and other extras in there too, an i5 and 5770 are both relatively low power use components and should have loads of spare capacity on a 480W PSU.

Just an update on this in case anyone encounters similar problems. After a bit of trouble shooting in which I was getting similar issues with a stripped down system I opted for a new PSU. Worked a treat and even solved some system instability issues with the RAM which, in hindsight, was caused by the poor voltage supply from the faulty PSU.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom