• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PSU for my new home file server

plexwasps

hello all.

I am in the middle of building a new file server, I want to use 15 hard drives of various sizes. but I am having trouble finding a psu what will cope that isn't to expensive. looking to pay £70. It may be possible for me to install two psu but I would need to modify the case which I don't want to do.

any ideas??

maf1970

Would need alot more info about your proposed server ?
What board,CPU & memory ?
Details of all the drives. Why so many? Did you consider consolidating them?
What case ?
How much research did you do?

plexwasps

Would need alot more info about your proposed server ?
What board,CPU & memory ?
Details of all the drives. Why so many? Did you consider consolidating them?
What case ?
How much research did you do?

sorry for the lack of info.

motherboard is a asrock A75M-HVS
CPU AMD a6-3500
8gb of ddr3

various makes but mainly western digital 500gb and 1tb and 4tb drives and one Samsung 2tb drive.

I currently have a hp n54l which has 5 drives and are all 80% full. so thinking long term solution for my storage needs.

the storage is currently for all my families media needs (film and Tv and my music collection)

the case it gigabyte 3d aurora.

I have used a few psu calculators but I cant seem to get a coincident answer when it come to the power I am going to need. its been anywhere from 500 to 650w and be quiet said they didn't do a psu what would handle it.
hope this helps

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Ok so a few things to consider before the calculation.

I would definitely recommend a hard drive consolidation. I wouldn't if I am going for a long term solution start with the small drives

a) they are already old and nearer to failure
b) you need the space to put them in - not sure how you would fit them all in the case (heat can kill hard drives)
c) you need a sata cable and corresponding motherboard\controller socket to plug them into
d) you need a sata power cable for each of them
e) each drive costs money to run

You only have 6 SATA ports on the MB so you need a separate controller card for the additional drives. So you would need either one 12 port or say an 8 and a 4 port which would use all your PCIe slots up.

Those controller cards are not necessarily very cheap so adds to the cost of the build.

100W of power consumption 24/7 costs around the £100 per year so its important with servers etc that at home you need to keep this to a minimum. Its constantly creeping up too.

I suspect the reason that beQuiet said they didn't do one is that I am not aware of many power supplies that would have 15 SATA power connections. You would need splitters to connect all your drives.

I work on the basis that each drive is 10W max power consumption. In reality they will be around 5W or less depending on the age of the drive, so 150W for the drives if you use them all

The CPU had a TDP of 65W (significantly higher than the N54L).

You can use the internal graphics so no additional graphics card.

That leaves the MB, fans and possibly a controller card.

I can't see how that would require more than say 300W at the very most.

A quick check on the first calculator (Cooler Master) I cam across states 299W (without a controller card) which is inline with my own figure.

Give yourself a bit of headroom and you are looking at 350W upwards. You also want to get a high efficiency one so I would choose that over absolute power for example. (Less heat wasted, less cost)

I did a similar thing to you I had a N36L which ran out of space.

I ended up as I had a rack buying a 24 removable bay rack mount 4U case for around £350. This has a server MB with a Xeon processor and a 24 port disk controller card. The latter being nearly £950 new, fortunately I got in on here for £150. Currently it has 18 drives in it and as its plugged into an ePDU at the moment its on its using 98W of power. It idles at roughly 50-60W when the disks are spun down. The advantage of this case is hot swap-able drives and it takes two molex connectors from memory to power all 24 drives. I did buy a 750W power supply for it but as you can see its overkill by a long way ...

Hope this helps

plexwasps

i should have said I have a dell h310 flashed in IT mode. I have checked the drives and they are in good nick as they haven't been used as there were in storage.

I have just thought I do have 2x 3tb drives which are external which I am going to put into the case.

I thought that if the drives spin up they use more power but I could be wrong?

Ok so a few things to consider before the calculation.

I would definitely recommend a hard drive consolidation. I wouldn't if I am going for a long term solution start with the small drives

a) they are already old and nearer to failure
b) you need the space to put them in - not sure how you would fit them all in the case (heat can kill hard drives)
c) you need a sata cable and corresponding motherboard\controller socket to plug them into
d) you need a sata power cable for each of them
e) each drive costs money to run

You only have 6 SATA ports on the MB so you need a separate controller card for the additional drives. So you would need either one 12 port or say an 8 and a 4 port which would use all your PCIe slots up.

Those controller cards are not necessarily very cheap so adds to the cost of the build.

100W of power consumption 24/7 costs around the £100 per year so its important with servers etc that at home you need to keep this to a minimum. Its constantly creeping up too.

I suspect the reason that beQuiet said they didn't do one is that I am not aware of many power supplies that would have 15 SATA power connections. You would need splitters to connect all your drives.

I work on the basis that each drive is 10W max power consumption. In reality they will be around 5W or less depending on the age of the drive, so 150W for the drives if you use them all

The CPU had a TDP of 65W (significantly higher than the N54L).

You can use the internal graphics so no additional graphics card.

That leaves the MB, fans and possibly a controller card.

I can't see how that would require more than say 300W at the very most.

A quick check on the first calculator (Cooler Master) I cam across states 299W (without a controller card) which is inline with my own figure.

Give yourself a bit of headroom and you are looking at 350W upwards. You also want to get a high efficiency one so I would choose that over absolute power for example. (Less heat wasted, less cost)

I did a similar thing to you I had a N36L which ran out of space.

I ended up as I had a rack buying a 24 removable bay rack mount 4U case for around £350. This has a server MB with a Xeon processor and a 24 port disk controller card. The latter being nearly £950 new, fortunately I got in on here for £150. Currently it has 18 drives in it and as its plugged into an ePDU at the moment its on its using 98W of power. It idles at roughly 50-60W when the disks are spun down. The advantage of this case is hot swap-able drives and it takes two molex connectors from memory to power all 24 drives. I did buy a 750W power supply for it but as you can see its overkill by a long way ...

Hope this helps

I should have said I do have a dell h310 flashed in IT mode which will let me control 8 drives.

I thought I read somewhere that it takes more power to turn the drives on?

given me something to think about tho.

I would go that root with the rack case but at the mo the mrs would kill me if I bought one of them.

**update**

I have just found this psu. it has more power than I might need but it has a lot of connections

Seasonic S12II-430W Power Supply

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
They use a bit more power than when they spin up hence going for 10W and that's assuming that all spin up at the same time.

I would imagine that the Dell H310 would stagger the spin up for the drives anyway so you wouldn't ever get full load.

Just watch the 3TB external drives as some of the new USB external drives have been crippled somewhat by the manufacturer firmware. This is in an effort to stop you doing what you suggest and that the drives don't play ball once disconnected from their USB\eSATA controller. The problem was you could buy the external drive for considerably cheaper than the same internal drive.

plexwasps

They use a bit more power than when they spin up hence going for 10W and that's assuming that all spin up at the same time.

I would imagine that the Dell H310 would stagger the spin up for the drives anyway so you wouldn't ever get full load.

Just watch the 3TB external drives as some of the new USB external drives have been crippled somewhat by the manufacturer firmware. This is in an effort to stop you doing what you suggest and that the drives don't play ball once disconnected from their USB\eSATA controller. The problem was you could buy the external drive for considerably cheaper than the same internal drive.

they are 3tb drives that I put in external enclosures.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
That's ok then :)

Re the PSU that has only 6 power connectors also not in stock till August.

There's quite a lot of choice between 50 and 70 pounds even some fully modular.

Seasonic manufacturer for a number of other suppliers too so are normally a good brand.

maf1970

You definately need to consolidate the number of drives you have.
For the new server I would look at how much space you have used up already and also try to determine how much this might grow by per quarter. The H310 has eight ports so that gives you the max number of drives you will have for storage. Put the OS on a seperate SSD.
How would you intend to configure the storage space on the new server ?
Do you do backups of your current data ?

As to the PSU if I needed 300W I would buy one at 450-500 so that it is not being run ragged. There are plenty of PSU available ranging from Gold,Silver,Bronze rated to Fanless ones with prices from cheap to brutally expensive.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
As to the PSU if I needed 300W I would buy one at 450-500 so that it is not being run ragged. There are plenty of PSU available ranging from Gold,Silver,Bronze rated to Fanless ones with prices from cheap to brutally expensive.

Yes I would probably agree with you there, unless you are spending silly money most decent power supplies start around 450w

What you do want to watch is what the psu efficiency is at say 100w as they vary considerably and can be inefficient at low loads. Which is one if there prime reasons you don't want to go too big.

Even my desktop which is an overclocked i5820k and overclocked 980Ti running Gta 5 only sucks in 350w. It would probably suck more in benchmarking but idles and in normal use is only around 100w

mjn

Distinguished Member
I use a 950w Corsair in my ESXi server, which hosts my fileserver. That uses 12 hard drives and Intel i5 with 32GB of memory.

Probably overkill, but at one point it had over 20 hard drives, including some 7200rpm SCSI drives and Xeon processors.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I use a 950w Corsair in my ESXi server, which hosts my fileserver. That uses 12 hard drives and Intel i5 with 32GB of memory.

Probably overkill, but at one point it had over 20 hard drives, including some 7200rpm SCSI drives and Xeon processors.

Definitely, hate to see you electricity bill if you were using anything close to the max :thumbsup:

mjn

Distinguished Member
I don't think it ever did. Think it hovered between 2-300w.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom