PSU and fans

jenic

Novice Member
I am looking for a new PSU to replace my current standard one. The main reason is noise, i have heard of fanless PSU's but think that a very low noise one would be good enough. I want it to be less than 18db and i would like it to be blue lit. I'm not looking at spending any more than £50 but maybe could stretch a bit further.

I am also looking at replacing my 1 case fan and adding an extra 3. My current one is blue lit so i would like the new ones to be blue too. I want to spend about £30 on all 4 fans. I need 80mm ones and they must have a noise level of below 18db.

Also i would like to control 3 of these fans via a 5.5inch bay in the front of my PC, the fan control unit must not have usb ports on and must include the fan controls as a volume syle knob and temp monitor.

Any suggestions would be great!

The Dude

Distinguished Member
adding an extra 3 case fans will probably add more noise, unless you run them at a very slow speed, in which case they will be doing nothing useful anyway... any more than 2 80mm fans is overkill I'd say..

£50 could be tricky for a decent, quiet, PSU... If you had the extra £15 you save from not adding all those case fans however.... :devil:

S

Skunkpipe

What case do you have - and how many fan mounts and what size are they? What power PSU do you need?
Adding more fans won't add more noise unless they're noisier than your loudest component. Your PC is only as quiet as your quietest component IYSWIM.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I replaced my noisy, sounds like a hairdryer psu recently with this Tagan one. I read a few reviews and Tagan seem quite popular, they do different wattages and some have neons, also they are modular which makes fitting a lot easier, and the inside of the case is much neater - the psu cables are properly sheathed so if you have a side window it all looks much nicer than those horrible molex connecters and leads.

EDIT: Also.... I stuck a pencil into all the fans (very briefly, one at a time) to momentarliy stop them spinning and find out which ones were making all the noise, psu was loudest, followed by the chipset fan (now replaced) and the top exhaust case fan (now slowed down by fitting a modded cable supplied very kindly by a forum member) :)

jenic

Novice Member
My case has 4 80mm case fan spaces and came with 1. My PSU is 400W so i guess that is what i need. I have a quiet fan on my CPU and my 1 case fan is pretty quiet. If the extra case fans aren't nessesary then i think the only thing i need to change is the PSU.

S

Skunkpipe

The number of fans you need largely depends largely the spec of your system.

Take your 4 fans and slow them down to 7 or even 5v this will greatily improve noise.

I'd do this first then see which is the next loudest component and think about addressing that next and so on until you get to the point you are happy

I

mjn

Distinguished Member
The bigger the fan, the less noise it'll make. Also, if your case has any of that fancy metal pattern crap, dremel it out, less resistance, less noise!

Nick_UK

Banned
I've recently fitted an Enermax EG701AX-VE(W)SFMA 600W ATX V2.00 from www.overclock.co.uk which cost £93.91 inc.VAT, which is rather more than your £50, I know, but it's worth it. It's whisper quiet - my hard disks make more noise than this power supply, and I don't think I've had a power supply before which is so heavy (must be due to the solid copper heatsinks).

S

Skunkpipe

mjn said:
The bigger the fan, the less noise it'll make. Also, if your case has any of that fancy metal pattern crap, dremel it out, less resistance, less noise!
the *slower* the fan the less noise it'll make.

owain_thomas

True, but everything else being equal a larger fan should make less noise for a given throughput of air.

dunamis

Novice Member
Skunkpipe said:
owain_thomas said:
True, but everything else being equal a larger fan should make less noise for a given throughput of air.
Heh - yeah. That's because it'll be going slower :lesson:

dunamis

S

Skunkpipe

owain_thomas said:
or two (or more) smaller fans...

The OP has room for 4 x 80mm fans - larger fans aren't a possibility.

2 x 80 mm fans shifting X cfm of air at 18dB are no worse than 1 x 120mm fan shifting X cfm of air at 18dB

The Dude

Distinguished Member
so what's noisier, a room with one person talking at 40Db, or a room with 50 people all talking at 40Db? ;)

O

OneEleven

ooo ooo is that the same as 'what's heavier a ton of feathers or a ton of lead?' :suicide:

jenic

Novice Member
OK, so i just came home but on the way i stopped at a neighborough house. He has just got some new stuff for his pc and it is super quiet, i thought he hadn't switched it on, he has just got this PSU which i am also going to buy:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=11696867790&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=64849

and these fans which i am also going to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILENX-80MM-ULTRA-QUIET-NEAR-SILENT-LED-FANS-14DB-28CFM_W0QQitemZ6807108407QQcategoryZ42003QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks to evryone who posted

mjn

Distinguished Member
2 Antec PSU's were tested in Custom PC this month, the SmartPower and the TruePower, one had a weak 12v, and the other blew up. See if you can find any reviews before splashing the cash....

jenic

Novice Member
There are some good reviews on the ebuyer site, i have also signed up for 3 issues of computer buyer for £1 so i hope that there will be something about PSU's in their.

Pootle

Standard Member
I never got things really quiet with 80mm fans, but with 120s like the AFDP-12025B from http://www.quietpc.com/uk/casefans.php run at low voltage you have to stick your head in the case to hear it - runs at about 670 rpm.

Together with a http://www.quietpc.com/uk/amdcooling.php#ninja CPU cooler and another 120mm as a case fan mounted on squidgy mounting pegs my whole system is now really quiet. (and the CPU - AMD 64 3000) runs below 40C at full load).

(Zalman fanless video card cooler and northbridge is already a heatsink on my mobo)

Oh yes - mount disc on rubber grommets too....

Like mjn I don't rate Antec PSU that much, the one that came with the Sonata case was really noisy, and I had to replace that too.

S

Skunkpipe

Thouse AcoustiFan dustless Pootle mentions are very very good.
80mm fans such as Panaflo FBL801A can be made quiet though - you just need to run them at 5V.

jenic

Novice Member
lisag said:
EDIT: Also.... I stuck a pencil into all the fans (very briefly, one at a time) to momentarliy stop them spinning and find out which ones were making all the noise, psu was loudest, followed by the chipset fan (now replaced) and the top exhaust case fan (now slowed down by fitting a modded cable supplied very kindly by a forum member) :)
Just tried this before i order the PSU and guess what, i was totally wrong. The noisy fan is the CPU cooler, it is just a cheap akasa one that was only a tenner but it did say quiet on the packet.

Anyway, now i want a very quiet cheap socket 939 cooler, any that are avilable at www.cclonline.com would be great as i live close to the shop. Also, preapplied thermal grease would be nice.

S

Skunkpipe

what case will it be going in? The Scythe Ninja is a great cooler if you've got a case big enough to take it. If you've got the room the Zalman CNPS9500 (with Blue LED) and Thermalright XP120 are also worth a closer look

mrm3

blue lit and quieter than the Antec ( i replaced 2 x Antec with these)
from £59 + P&P
seasonic s12 range
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Seasonic.html

read the reviews these are the best on the market for stability and noise

or go for a fanless PSU for over £100 such as the Antec phantom

yes better to have one 12cm fan than 8cm ones though slienx ones are supposed to be good i would prefer a fan controller ot running them at a slower speed

Pootle

Standard Member
ipod crazy said:
Sorry, didnt notice this one, i will look into it.

Thanks
It needs clear space all the way above the CPU, its 6 inches high (though not very heavy), so may not fit in a midi. It was easy to install on my ASUS A8V mobo, just had to unscrew the plastic mount that came on the mobo and replace with the one that came with the heatsink. If you have good caseflow (sounds like you do!) and your CPU is 3500 or less, then you do not need a CPU fan at all :thumbsup:

bamber

Standard Member
I ordered a Scythe Ninja from kustompcs. It arrived today but it wouldn't fit my Silverstone LC14B case, it's about 1cm too tall. Pity because it's an impressive looking cooler. So it looks like a XP120 for me now.

I have listed it in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Gaz

jenic

Novice Member
Pootle said:
It needs clear space all the way above the CPU, its 6 inches high (though not very heavy), so may not fit in a midi. It was easy to install on my ASUS A8V mobo, just had to unscrew the plastic mount that came on the mobo and replace with the one that came with the heatsink. If you have good caseflow (sounds like you do!) and your CPU is 3500 or less, then you do not need a CPU fan at all :thumbsup:
My case is basically bare inside, there is excellent case flow but i dont fancy running the cpu without a fan, it is only 3000+ but i dont think i want to risk it.