PSU 580W Hiper Type R Modular ~ failures??

meizumintyboi

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there i've been using this PSU for about 3 years, with no problems; except within the last 2 years 1 of my 512mb ddr ram sticks died on me, i never really thought it was the PSU that caused it to happen & in the past year i have been experiencing restarts during any sort of 3d gameplay, i just havn't got arround to replacing the parts & investigating the problem...

recently i posted into a thread mentioning my PSU "badbob" said that there has recently been failures with this PSU & i should get rid of it ASAP

i have a new upgrade on its way:

£285 inc. shipping

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSI P6N SLI-F V2 NF650i SLi, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800 MHz, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX (apparently good at o/c, saves me having to buy pata to sata converter at has support for up to 4 ide drives, supports: quad core, SLi &8gb ddr2 for future upgrades)

intel dual core e2180 2ghz 1mb (2x512kb) L2 cache (cheap will do for now, can o/c up to 3ghz easily with stock fan apparently just changing the FSB speed, will get quad core when prices come down)

ocz 2gb ddr2 pc6400 800mhz non-eec unbuffered (pushed the budget off the cliff on this one, will buy another 2gb of these at a later date)

ati dabs value x1950 pro 512mb gddr3 pci-x dual dvi (amazing card needs 512mb for higher performance at high res)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has anyone else heard anything of this? what should i do? keep the PSU or buy a new 1?

A load of people have reported failures, the worst thing is that in many cases they have taken other bits out with them on their way to PSU heaven which for quite a then expensive PSU is just plain ridiculous.

it seems they just die, must have been a bad batch, i've had mine since may 06 it's on nearly always so hopefully thumbs up :thumbsup: its doesn't die

thanks for the post

You shouldn't have said that, now you've jinxed yourself. If your system is anything half decent I would change it.

Even if the PSU doesn't take anything with it, exploded capacitors will wreck the insides of a computer.

so what do u reccomend for my system for no more than £30?

my specs

MSI P6N SLI-F V2 NF650i SLi, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800 MHz, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

intel dual core e2180 2ghz 1mb (2x512kb) L2 cache

ocz 2gb ddr2 pc6400 800mhz non-eec unbuffered

ati dabs value x1950 pro 512mb gddr3 pci-x dual dvi

creative audigy 4

1 PATA DVDRW

3 PATA HDD

1 SATA HDD

3 80mm LED case fans

1 120mm LED case fan

LED Belkin PATA cable

I would say a 500W will be suitable, checkout Enermax, Corsair or Seasonic. More than £30 though.

seriously that cheap? anything off ebuyer thats over £49.99 but not too much over up to £55 my free shipping or anything that's just as good inc. shipping up to £55. thanks guys. alredy blew my last budget by £85 shouldn't really go over £55 inc. VAT & shipping

i was gona say... but maybe it is good? you don't know till you have tested it?

lol thats way to much $$$, i have my PC on forever surely it wouldav blown i don't believe in that jynxing **** lol

Oh dear double jinx....RIP Hiper:hiya:

seriously that cheap? anything off ebuyer thats over £49.99 but not too much over up to £55 my free shipping or anything that's just as good inc. shipping up to £55. thanks guys. alredy blew my last budget by £85 shouldn't really go over £55 inc. VAT & shipping

I have built many systems with PSUs cheaper than £10, that one I indicated is quite expensive (for me). Badbob seems to have a bit of a strange attitude to PSUs as in one post he proclaims cheap PSUs can kill your mobo, then in another post points out an expensive PSU WILL kill your mobo ... yet seems to have no personal experience of either event happening (maybe it's not me who is the fool).

From my own personal experience I have found the price of a PSU does not seem to have any connection to its reliability. Badbobs anecdotal evidence could well prove to be valid, but the links he provides seems to indicate the opposite, that only expensive PSUs are likely to damage your mobo.

My impressions of the £14 PSU, big fan, 5 molex plugs, 1 sata plug ....... could have done with more SATA power plugs but not a big problem.
I put a CD beside it to give you an idea of size.

If you're going to use the system for games, then buying a cheap unbranded PSU is daft. Heard of Qtec? 650W rating but in reality less than 300W. And when you did connect up a top end graphics card the PSU popped. When it died it took the rest of the gear with it. Also very unefficient so costly to run.

I've dealt with people like you, think being wise saving a few pennies. So has my brother. When it happens to you, with system up in smoke then I'll be all smug.

The UK Mars lander bloke tried to do the same, cost cutting by not installing redudant systems. oh dear...and what happened that that?

I put a CD beside it to give you an idea of size
Wow. And that means something?

Most people who buy the cheapest PSU's don't go onto computer forums. When they blow they go out and buy a new PC, not realizing the PSU was at fault, all it needed was a better quality PSU and they would've been ok.

Or business is eletronics repair. I've seen cheap UPS explode due to poor workmanship.

Oh another thing, mates PC was unstable (using cheap PSU) took mine wrong, it was totally stable after that. The rails must have been fluactuating under load.

From my own personal experience I have found the price of a PSU does not seem to have any connection to its reliability. Badbobs anecdotal evidence could well prove to be valid, but the links he provides seems to indicate the opposite, that only expensive PSUs are likely to damage your mobo.

I agree somewhat that the price may not always be the best indicator. However buying a branded PSU with a good reputation is a very good idea, and it's a false economy to buy cheap, low end brand PSU's if you value the components and reliablity of your PC. I remember some unfavourable comments regarding the Hiper PSU's a while ago, that made me discount them when buidling my new PC a year ago.

I have purchased Enermax and Seasonic PSU's, and never experienced any problems. On the other hand I have had to repair several PC's built by various "computer shops" where the PSU has blown, often resulting in the need for a new system board and CPU.

Or business is eletronics repair. I've seen cheap UPS explode due to poor workmanship.

So you admit you have never personally seen a PSU fail (cheap or expensive) ....

I havn't seen a cheap PSU fail as such but once i did buy a tri-colour LED PSU for £12 600W, it couldn't handle my rig so instead the pc was very unstable, so i changed to a Hiper, now that might do a bugger on me, the cheap PSU works fine on my spare PC though which is not very demanding

yeah the Kingwin may not be the best but it's what i wanted

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom