1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP & WiFi access with WEP

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jezzah, Sep 7, 2005.

1. jezzah

jezzah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I may have found the issue with using WEP and PSPs. My router allows me to enter ASCII or HEX WEP keys and whichever was the last selected is the one that's used. It appears the PSP will only accept ASCII WEP keys. I've not been able to find this documented anywhere for the PSP.

Here's the lowdown...

I received my PSP yesterday from Comet Direct after ordering on Saturday (£220 with Lumines, Race Driver, Spiderman 2 and Playgear Pocket) so this a UK spec PSP with v2.0 software.

I have a D-Link DI614+ combined router and Motorola surfboard cable modem. I updated the DI614+ to the latest firmware available from www.dlink.co.uk after experiencing problems trying to connect the PSP regardless of settings. The DI614+ supports 64/128/256bit WEP for security so this is what I needed to get working.

It appears that each time I change the Dlinks settings I have to restart it in order for them to take complete effect - a real pain but not sure if this would apply to other routers/access points.

Prior to router update and realising the ASCII/Hex WEP keys issue I tried over 20 times to get the PSP connected.

Connecting with WEP disabled - worked first time (after Router update)

Connecting with 64 bit WEP enabled with ASCII key 11111 - worked first time (and I've changed it to something more obscure now).

I have yet to try 128 bit WEP but it's looking promising now I know about the ASCII keys.

Note my router doesn't allow me to disable SSID broadcast. WEP keys are always entered as the only WEP key in the first WEP key slot (i.e. Key ID 1)

So if your router only takes HEX keys then you need to know the ASCII equivalent, or if it has the option to use either make sure you only have an ASCII one set.

Hope this proves useful to someone (or am I simply stating the obvious!)

2. kraiklyn

kraiklyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Very very helpful thanks! I have been having massive issues with this since March!