1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Web browser in Wipeout Prue!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by uczmeg, Mar 26, 2005.

1. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  2. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    the link dosen't work!

Any chance of giving a brief description

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Link works for me.

Basically a guy has found that the wipeout update content section is actually a web browser and has worked out how to hack it. Pictures and video demonstate this and a full write up is to follow.

I've seen someone else use it in another forum, but don't have my copy of wipeout yet to have a look.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That will be so cool if it works :) I need to get a Copy of WIpeout then :)

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I agree. I'm sure an official one is due soon anyway.

But it is a great sign.

There is supposed to be a keyboard coming soon anyway isn't there, wouldn't be much use without a browser or email client?! But as long as I can set a few shortcuts (in the real one) then I'll be happy to browse and not post.

Will save me one PDA at least!

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    That's great, I use my iPaq for browsing from time to time but the screen really isn't big enough on that. The PSP's bigger screen should make this a viable portable web browser. :thumbsup:

I wonder if they'll expand the PDA side of the PSP further -there's already talk of GPS.

9. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's more about resolution than screen size. The PSP resolution is 480 x 272, a standard iPaq is 320 x 240.

So you will get some more width, but it will still take good rendering software to make a web page readable. Hopefully Netfront or Opera get in on the act. I believe some of the Clie range came with Netfront, so there is hope!

The 'beta' firmware that was going around suggested quite a few PDA like functions coming. Pity the PSP isn't touch screen...

I've used 640x480 pocket pcs (the iPAQ hx4700 and Dell Axim x50v) and at that res you are starting to get a decent web experience. Although it is better on a Zaurus at the same resolution as the browsers seemed more mature.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Naturally the bigger PSP screen has more pixels (otherwise the graphics would look rather blocky compared to an iPAQ). Essentially the bigger screen would allow less 'boxing' of websites where the site is broken down into scrollable boxes for easier viewing.

A touch screen would have been good as you could have then really gone down the PDA route. Inputing text etc will be tricky without a keyboard attachment. You will end up with the really slow console method of scrolling around on an on screen keyboard which is really too painful to consider.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    USB keyboard is on the way apparently. Amazing bits of kit for the money really, I cant wait to get mine.

I can definately see GPS happening, they would be mad not to do it, these things are begging to have Tom Tom run on them :)

Email will also happen I am sure as will mobile phone functionality, I dont know how useful the web browser would be (But then again its not on Ipaqs either really despite the touch screen)

Emails the really big one with all their experience with Telephony I am sure they will come up with something really good. This PDA sort of functionality will massively widen the appeal of the unit and will be great for sales (Not that they need it)

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Yeah I run Tom Tom on my iPaq and it's fantastic! Would be even better on the bigger PSP screen! :thumbsup:

13. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    That isn't true.

My Dell Axim has a 3.8" screen, as opposed to the Sony's 4.4" screen. Which is a big difference in size when placed next to each other.

The Axim has a 640x480 resolution (307200 pixels) to the Sony's 480x272 (130560 pixels). Big difference! So the Axim can render a page much better than the PSP ever will. It will just look smaller.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Was just referring to the resolution of my iPaq as in a like for like resolution sharpness really. There's no argument I fully understand how resolutions are calculated and that a smaller screen can have a higher resolution than a smaller one :smashin: . If the PSP only had the same amount of pixels as my iPaq for instance the screen would look rather blocky.

Anyway the images of the PSP browsing a web page look great and get a good amount of the page on screen.