psp volume

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by adam_thirlwell, Mar 12, 2006.

1. adam_thirlwell

adam_thirlwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i was just wondering if sony put the same volume restrictions on the psp as they do on their mp3 players. i know there is sub menus on the mp3 players to increase the volume, is there any on the psp to do the same,

thanks

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Nope. The PSP offers the "full" pathetic 5mw of output typical of Sony's. It's the earphones which have resistors inside them to limit maximum volume. If you're using the stock phones, moving to another more efficient one will help but a further boost is not available.

I use the Ultimate Ears UE-10Pro which is admittedly overkill (and certainly not specifically for the PSP), but balanced armature in-earphones generally will offer the power efficiency to work well with the limited output of the PSP. These phones also keep out a lot of outside noise, which helps even more with increasing the volume apparent to you. Good choices are the Shure E4CN (£170) and the Ultimate Ears UE Super.Fi Pro (£140)

Pay a visit to handheldaudio.co.uk for the phones. Buying in the US may seem cheaper, but I've found advantages in dealing with a UK outfit.

3. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It's got nothing to do with the headphones. All devices that use headphones as their primary sound output suffer from this in Europe. It's a European law that limits the maximum volume level and even iPods are the same. I have a US and a Japanese PSP and both offer a much higher maximum volume level then the UK ones using the same headphones. Same goes for things like iPods.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It has a lot to do with headphones. The 'ear-friendly' PSP earphone actually has a resistor in it.

5. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,414
    Headphones definately have some impact. I switched my headphones on my Sony Ericsson W900i to some aftermarket ones, and they volume is way higher. Outputs may well differ in products for other parts of the world, but a switch to a better more sensitive headphone can improve volume and of course sound quality.

6. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    My point was that if you use the same headphones with the same product from different regions you will hear a noticeable difference in volume. There is a quite a difference in the maximum volune of the UK PSP's compared to the US and Japanese ones.

7. just slackin'

just slackin'

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    i seem to recall that it is actually french law which dictates this for the rest of europe. manufacturers are not willing to make a batch for france only so the whole of europe suffers.

it's a bit annoying - tried to watch a psp movie on the train today and even with the volume right up i still couldn't hear it over the noise of the train.

8. captain kirk

captain kirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use my psp mainly for the mp3 on the go ;) - nothing like drum n bass in public, i tend to walk differently when listening to that stuff.
    I use technics stereo headphones rp-dj1210 :- http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle...N&tab=ff&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title&output=html

im not too sure why you say the volumn is low? - ok mines a jap psp - but i hardly think this makes any difference, beleive its more down to the "quality" of the headgear - these arnt my headphones, i dislike them personally, but if you havnt got anything else to hand - their great.