1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Video 9 and PAL DVD's

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by tobyjuggler, Sep 17, 2005.

1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As PSP Video 9 only seems to want to convert DVD's at 29.97 frames per second, it works well for NTSC DVD's, but makes converting PAL DVD's a bit of a problem as the sound starts to drift away from the picture as the film progresses. I was just wondering how people are getting round this or fixing it, so that the sound and video remain in synch. What's the best solution?

2. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,837
    No problem with PAL dvd's for me.

3. BuFF DaDDy

BuFF DaDDy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Nor me, what are the exact settings your using mate?

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I ripped ROTJ to AVC codec and everything stayed in sync. It does go out of sync if i fast forward or rewind but that is remedied by a quick pause, frame advance and then it plays in sync again.

5. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think you lot are missing what he's saying...

The problem is that pal dvds are obviously 25 frames per second, and the pspvideo9 program converts everything to either 29.9something or 15 frames per second.

The psp doesn't support 25 frames per second video - apparently?

So you lot who think you got a good video rip of ya pal dvds...haven't

You will most likely have a little skipping where a frames been doubled - i.e playback not as smooth as it could be...

I'd really like an answer to this, I was curious if the 2.0 firmware adds 25 frames per second support.

Its pathetic and lazy of sony not to bother implementing it.

What equipment do sony think people in the uk are going to be using for a source? After all they are a strong supporter of region locking so its not like they want us to have a load of 30 frames per second video, or a gray import 30 fps video camera...

ahhh i dunno...

Anyone have any joy getting TRUE 25 frames per second on their PSP?

cheers people :)

6. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies everyone. I suppose I was sort of asking both questions really:

1). Why is the sound on my DVD rip about 3 or 4 seconds behind?

2). Why can I only rip at 29.97 fps with PSP Video 9

So all answers given so far are relevant :).

It was after fast-forwarding that I noticed this, so maybe calibos's solution might do it (i'll try it later when back at home). I had sort of made the assumption that, because it was a PAL DVD I had ripped, it had ripped the video at 29.97 fps instead of 25 fps, but hadn't re-synchronized the audio to match, so after a while the sound started to lag. Maybe it was just a one-off.

I can't exactly remember the settings I used on PSP Video 9 as I'm not at PC with PSPVideo9 on, but it was one of the default profiles, high-ish quality.

robo989 did highlight question 2 above though. You sure it's a limitation of the PSP and not PSPVideo9? What about Jap and UK PSPs, these are PAL so should be 25 fps(?) Either way ripping a PAL DVD at 29.97 fps is bound to throw up a few problems as robo989 pointed out and I was wondering if anybody had found another way. I do remember a programme called Pocket DVD I used to use for my IPAQ PPC and I'm pretty sure that had PAL/NTSC settings as well as adjustable resolution, so I might just try that.

7. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The region the PSP was designed for is irrelevent (PAL\NTSC)

The PSP isn't like a TV, games console, plasma, video, dvd player and so on...

It is a portable machine and doesn't rely on any specific refresh rate?

PAL psp games are exactly the same as NTSC games (AND UMD MOVIES)

Its a portable machine and is totally independent of any 25 frames per second standard the hardware is the same as the US version - apart from maybe some tweaks to the design and the region lockout

sucks really, go and look at the http://www.pspvideo9.com forums if you want confirmwation - but what I'm saying is true cos I was thinking exactly the same thing until someone pointed it out to me.