1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP, UMD Movies. First 3 announced!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by AML, Mar 15, 2005.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Don't know if someone has already posted this but in the weekly japanese games magazine called "Famitsu" there was a picture of the first 3 UMD movie titles.

Spider Man 2, Biohazard 2 Apocalypse (resi evil 2), and Hellboy.

The boxes are the same as the game boxes, only with "UMD Video" written on the side.
    Remember these will be region locked and will only work on Japanese PSP's!
    Im sure since these are already old movies that it wont be long before they are released on other countries.

Cant say much about quality or extras or even sound, but I imagine since the movies are already large in file size that there wont be enough space on the disks for anything else!
    So I doubt the first batch of movies will have more than the film and a menu. As for sound, I would say stereo. POSSIBLY, 4.0 if the speakers are used.

Here's a link to a Japanese web site showing UMD releases for april!

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psp/index.html

Attached Files:

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I wouldn't expect more than pro logic or DD stereo from the umd, given as it is 1.8gb.
    I have xxx and spiderman 2 on order, didn't cost me £10 either!

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Old news this I'm afraid mate. Check www.dvdsoon.com and click on tthe UMD link at the top of the page for the first 7 UMD movie releases. Most out in April, a couple May. According to DvdSoon discs/movies will feature DD 5.1.

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think UMD is limited to MP3, AAC or ATRAC3 for sound. I guess the movie UMD's will use the latter. ATRAC3 in 4.0 would be a poor man's SDDS, but I am inclined to believe it will be 2.0, possibly with some form of pre-encoded virtual surround.

After all, UMD video is meant solely for portable devices and would probably get its limitations horribly exposed in a full home theater setup, so they're probably completely adapting the sound to suit the portable playback environment.

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    never mind the sound look at the lineup lmao.i mean seriously do they really expect to shift films on the PSP by releasing titles like them ? the films stink apart from spiderman 2 and possibly hellboy.XXX it was terrible on dvd it was just as bad on superbit i seriously doubt it will change my mind on a umd.

another thing is will these dvd soon UMD prices stay that way because i dont think many people are gonna for out more than 8 quid tops for a umd film imo.

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Its early days yet. I think sony are just releasing these few titles to test the water and see if they sell.
    Im sure given time prices would come down. But I some how doubt UMD movies will become the "hit" sony want them to.
    I doubt we will see more than 100 titles or so in the total life span of the PSP.

I just dont see these lower quality movies selling the same as DVDs. Specially with Blu Ray and HD DVD just round the corner. Mobile movie watching has to be a niche market! I mean, who has an hour and a half to spare to watch a whole movie on the bus?

Rather than whole movies, i would preffer to see shorter 45 or 30 minute episodes of TV shows and sporting events.
    (ie startrek, south park and so on)

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I think that hd dvd and blu ray will be the niche market mate, along with UMD

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I can see myself getting quite a few UMD's but only really of "classic" films & TV Series that I tend to watch over & over. It would be good to have a few great films to watch on the move I guess but I would always go for a good theatrical presentation on DVD (or HD DVD or Blu Ray in the future) for use on my home system first.