1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP UMD movie region 2 question

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by matt bellamy, Feb 13, 2005.

1. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a Jap PSP but have one question I can't seem to find the answer to. I know I will be able to play all region games on it but will I be able to play European Region 2 movies on it as Japan is also region 2?

Probably a stupid question but is the only thing preventing me spending £250 on one.

Thanks

2. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would think so. This was also a sticking point for me, but then I realised Jap is the same region as UK, and since you can switch the menus to english and I believe the firmware in the future can be used on any region of PSP, I decided to plump up the cash. Sure the games are crappy at the moment, but the horizon looks very nifty.

Word processors, mobile phone firmware upgrade, speech to text software, e-mail clients and webbrowsing software via WLAN, plus it plays mpeg4! It's all good!

3. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dunno, me guess would be no, region 2 is a dvd thing, not a psp thing. Sony stongly hinted that region free was only about the games, if they arent going to use it for the movies what other use will it have?

whether that means jap and europe will be the same region and us another is a different matter. It could just be that US umds dont play on european or japanese psps. Who knows?

To be honest though even if it is region locked you can get bet your ass someone will crack it... one day.

www.ballofodd.co.uk - Everything PSP

4. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    True enough, but i would think that it would conform to the DVD forum / MPAA's regions as what would be the point of messing around with the specifics. I would think in all honestly it will be the same as the DVD regions but who know's.

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,945
    I did notice a small picture of the world and a Number 2 on the PSP box and seeing as the games are not ment to be region coded this could be the region coding of the console so unless they plan on creating a whole new region coding system, the UK PSP should also be Number 2 and the US PSP should be Number 1 but I guess we wont be 100% sure until the US PSP is released.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Who in their right mind will be buying UMD movies, when legally a dvd you own can be put on the PSP and watched by yourself.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,945
    I am pretty sure it is not legal to make backups of your own DVDs as the only way to back them up is to remove the copy protection and that is defently not legal.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I wont be spending £24 on UMD films I already own on Dvd thats that were less than half the price.

You are entitled to backup dvds / games etc that you own. Personally I `m getting one of these for the games, will get one of the new portable media players for movies.

9. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah thats very true you have always been able to make backups of anything you own. Same with cds, videos, music whatever. its one of the things the anti-piracy groups hate most, but thats the law... (i think)

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It is perfectly legal, as you own the material as you bought it. You are only allowed to make copies for your own personal use. It becomes illegal when you distribute in on bit torrent, or lend it to your mates, or sell it etc.

11. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered my PSP a few days ago so should get it either tomorrow or friday :D . I have a 256mb Memory Stick Pro Duo but this wont store a compressed DVD (will it :confused: ). Is there any good software that will convert DVD's, mpeg and avi files to play on a psp and how much (in minutes) could I store on the 256 card?

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not sure what the proprietory software is that Sony are using for the PSP. One thing is for sure it wont be as good as Divx in terms of compression.

Even DivX would only give you around 51 minutes of decent quality film on a 256 meg card.

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The Jap models are marked as Region 2 (same as UK) and the US are marked as Region 1.

That sounds pretty much like DVD regioning to me. I think the Jap one is the better to go with for these shores in that case.

14. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    According to ops2 mag and various other sources the japanese psp's will play all games and definately be ok with uk games and umd movies (region 2 as well, ring any bells??)

tris

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is region coding for the movies. Its been confirmed already that the games are multi region..... :rolleyes:

At the end of the day whos going to pay £24.99 for an UMD film when you can get them for half the price in the US and much eariler due to the release dates :rolleyes:

At the end of the day whos going to actually buy UMD films :rolleyes:

16. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356

I'll be watching movies on it, however if they are gonna be multiregion and able to use region 1 films in ther, I'll buy the region 1's instead of the brittish (if however it doesnt appear to be true I'm sure someone somewhere would bring out a region hack for it without chipping etc.... all it would take is a piece of software)

tris

17. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    There'll always be people that buy the films, airports, train stations all over the world etc etc

The US PSP does appear cheapest option but not quite the most convenient for the UK. Jap definately appears the right one, you get it early and you get the full compatibility. :)

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Everything i have read on the PSP has said that all the units are DEFINATELY multi region for games.

I have seen pictures of the Region 1 PSP and as with most Sony Handhelds it seems to have a dual voltage Power supply and standard figure 8 power cord.

So you are only left with the film region issue. Its definately adventagous to have a region one device in this regard as the films will be much cheaper and released sooner than the in UK.

As far as I can see based on these points the region 1 unit is the only way to go unless you are desperate for one in the next 4 weeks. You also have to take into account the cost - Its half the price (or less if you look at some of the deals availalble and possible freebies for the US launch).

Free UMD Spiderman 2 film to the first 1 million PSP sold in the states :thumbsup:

19. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    If I was living in the EU then I would say having your machine set to the native Region encoding is most advantageous.

Sure R1 has it's advantages but you will have no option but to import the movies. Would make it worse if software developers DID do that to the games. If it's there it can always be implemented, shouldn't is not the same as won't.

It's a bit like buying a DVD player, I would buy an R2 and try to get it modified multi-region before I bought a R1 one and tried it the other way around.

The price of the Jap ones is dropping and you can get quite a few places that will ship it marked down in order to avoid C&E. The US price fully inclusive I don't believe works out that much cheaper and is still only R1.

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    On the price that really is not the case. I got the value pack on pre order for £104 delivered. That will probably include the Spiderman UMD film. DVD Soon use standard post not couriers usually which means you are much less likely to get caught for the import duty. Even if you do get caught the total cost wont be more than around £140.

The cheapest I have seen a Jap import value pack is around £220 + Shipping. NO reputable outlet will lie on the customs declarations. Therefore if you do get caught you can expect to be paying at least £280 for A Jap import.

Thats twice the price. Personally I say thats a big saving ?

As most of the outlets offering the Jap consoles use couriers you also have a much higher chance of getting caught. In fact with the big carriers like DHL you will definately get caught.

I see your point of view on the region coding but the way I look at it is this. I have hundreds of DVDs. Less than 30 of them have been purchased in the UK on the high street. By far the vast majority have been imported because it represents far better value normally (CDWOW, DVD SOON, AUS etc etc). You get the gear quicker, its normally better in terms of the features particualrly with DVDs and its normally much much cheaper.

As I said Sony have made it clear the games are multiregion, even if they are not, it will still be cheaper to import them and you will get the new releases sooner. I really think the region is a total non issue for the people like us who look at importing this gear. If you cant wait 4 weeks thats one thing but to be buying one because of the region coding on the films seems a little odd to me. But thats just my opinion. Part of the way I look at it is that I wont be buying UMD films anyway. Whats the point of buying films twice and paying more than twice as much for them (UK street price for UMD films is £24.99)

If I do watch films on it I will transfer my dvds onto a memory card. For me the films arent the major draw for buying on of these anyway.

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Thing is isn't that the price from DVDSoon with Fidelity card and saving ? VG+ seem to be a more reliable importer and it'll cost you CAD$435 with game and shipping ~£190. There is talk that you may need a step down converter as well and you could be waiting longer than 4 weeks from DVDSoon.

Audiocubes ship it US$361 from Japan ~£190 right now, but no game. For the cost of a game you have to weigh up the Region encoding matter and the fact that you do get it earlier. Both of which put together are probably worth £30 in some peoples minds.

Expansys in the UK had it at £209 + £5 shipping last week, Jap models, no additional C&E on top.

Personally I would buy the Jap or UK one only, best bets at the moment. Not the US for the reasons stated.

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well it looks like we have a difference of opinion which is fair enough. T

The PSP all seem to have a dual voltage PSU as the vast majority of Sony portables do. I bought a Sony DVD camcorder in the states in Jan. It also has a dual voltage psu.

The Jap version PSP definately has a dual voltage PSU. The pictures I have seen of the US version seems to show the same PSU.

Also I have heard some bad press on VG+ to be honest, DVD Soon has a very good reputation. In fact if you look on these forums you will see they are exceptionally well thought of. It is the Fidelity card price I have mentioned but if you look at the savings (Free postage and two free films for £20) its basically free membership. Plus you get a full 12 months of benefits which are considerable at the moment (Like 20% of games . fims currently and free shipping)

Also with VG+ dont they use DHL ? I believe its almost a cert for import duty with them which will push the price up toward £240 at least.

I just cant see where you are getting the £30 price difference to be honest. Its more like £100 minmum if you assume (And you have to) you will be paying import duties.

But really we havent even talked about the biggest draw back of getting a Jap system now. All the games have Jap titles, menues etc.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181390

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190286

Apparently the only proper playable game for the Jap PSP at the moment is Ridge Racer Which hasnt got good write ups anyway. Unless of course you can speak fluent Japanese. This being the case you will end up having to import US version games unless you are willing to wait until the Uk launch, (September if we are lucky ??) This being the case you have to question whether its worth buying the Jap PSP at all :rolleyes:

23. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Happy to agree to disagree.

As for the Jap one not being able to play the US games, I thought you were advocating/confirming that PSP's games were Region free ? TBH your case against the Jap games and menu's doesn't exactly stack up in that context as once the UK games are released that shouldn't matter should it ?

My point of the Jap one being better for the general UK buyer is that it is the closest to what the UK one will be. ie R2 in all contexts. The US one will be R1.

24. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,945
    True you can only 100% enjoy all current Japanese PSP games if you can speak Japanese but seeing as the games are not region coded then it doesnt really matter which PSP you buy unless you care about being able to playback US UMD films.
    All the menus on the JPN PSP are in English so when games start to get released in the US you will be able to buy them and play them on your Japanese PSP no problem, the only game I have at the moment is Ridge Racers and even though the options are in Japanese you only have to play the game a few times to figure out what does what.

25. Brooker

Brooker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll get stung by customs with orders from DVD Soon. Trust me.

The ONLY option if you really want to avoid customs is buy through Ebay and have them mark it at a low value.

26. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The US games will of course work on the Jap PSP. But as per the threads I have listed the people with the Jap PSP seem to think its an issue with the majority of Jap games currently available. I think Metal Gear Acid was mentioned in particular as unplayable.

If this is the case I dont see the point of paying the extra cash to get it early when you will end up having to import games from the us for it anyway or wait for the UK release, which could be several months away.

On the import duty I agree you are likely to get caught wherever you get it from unless they are bent and incorectly mark the value on the packaging.

Even with the import duty the DvdSoon price will be significantly less than UK launch price. £40 at least.

27. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    As you are probably aware many have imported the console and are playing with Ridge Racers and Lumines. Apparently even though they contain Japanese text, they are intuitively playable nonetheless.

I think most will recognise that importing them you will have to live with the foreign menu's for the time being at least, it's kind of obvious ! But at least you can live with the knowledge that when UK titles are released and IF with Region encoding, you will probably have made a good call on a Jap one. The US one is inherently R1.

Quite a few places will export you the PSP. You can request them to mark it down as a 'Gift' < £35 value and indeed some places will do that for you. That is not dodgy, since you would be requesting it and it is probably not the matter of course for them. Also by marking it down you run the risk, in that if it gets lost or broken in transit, the courier will only be liable for the stated value. You will then likely save the Duty, but you have to be prepared to take that risk. The burden of Duty lies with the importer and not the exporter.

It's about as dodgy as if you had a relative living over there who bought you one of these and posted it to you. Probably marked up as a Gift. That is not dodgy is it really ?

28. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its completely dodgy. In fact its totally illegal. If they catch you doing it they can simply impound the goods. No reputable retailer would do this. Maybe some cowboys on Ebay but the jap ones are going for £250 inc shipping with a game on there at the moment. Hardly cheap.

Well thats not the case is it. Only if you get a Jap PSP. If you import a US one everythings in English by Default !

Mmmm we seem to be going round in circles here. As I said we obviously have a difference of opinion but the fact is the games are multi region for sure. Sony have already made this clear. There are hundreds of sites already on the PSP. Everyone I have seen, every bit of information, every post on forums has made it clear the games are multiregion ! Show me one source of info to the contrary. Even all the import outlets selling the consoles and games have made it clear that the consoles are multi region for games.

Whats the point of importing a Jap console if you can only play one game (And not a very good one at that) struggling with menus etc in a foreign language. You may as well wait for the Uk launch if you are that bothered about getting a region 2 machine. Plus you will save your self £30 - £40.

All thats going to happen is that people who have / get the Jap console will end up buying the US games anyway. Because its will be the only way of getting the new titles playable before the UK launch. The PSP is not going to be released here before Septmeber. This being the case why not just get the US version and save the cash ? :rolleyes:

At this stage it seems totally pointless importing a Jap console to play one below average game until the UK launch.

29. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Seems a very popular choice for many who have been readily importing them.

As I say I'm happy to disagree amicably with you, as you seem firmly intent on a US one. :)

30. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Maybe at some stage we should put a poll up asking how many people plan to view movies on the PSP. Personally it'll be interesting to do this but I would probably only do it away from home a couple of times a year.

Regarding DVDSoon and customs charges, I've ordered more things than I would like to remember and the current average is 1 out of every 2 gets charged, even when the packages are the same size. I suspect that the larger the package the increased chance of being examined for customs, and the PSP will probably be well packed.
    That said, at the risk of joining in the discussion £140/£145 is still quite a bit cheaper than the only place I know that you should not to pay customs for the value pack which was quoting £216 and are now stating 20th March, maybe the shortages are getting worse!

The one advantage of expansys is returns. The postage back should be cheaper if there was to be a problem!

Steve