1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP - UK release date announced on 22nd May!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by peteyoung, Mar 30, 2005.

?
  1. Before

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. June

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. July

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. August

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. September

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  6. Later

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, ive been into a Game store here in the UK and asked if there was any more news as to when the European PSP release date maybe, and a guy told me that by the 22nd May they should know when it will be released. Fingers crossed!!!

2. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    And in may they will tell you august release date, and then in august it will be an october date , I fear :rolleyes:

I hope not though, but Korea are getting it before us :rolleyes:

Spoony

3. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    i hope not! and are you sure Korea are? *sniffs* i hope thats not the case! argh i love my new sony hd3 but i hate them for this now! lol why are we always last! europe are where a big portion of the sales will be! :confused:

4. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    I know, I know. :thumbsdow

But I deffo` heard that Korea is getting it in May.

Mind you, on the lighter side, mine will be here friday :D

Sorry to rub it in :suicide:

Spoony.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Aint going to happen. Korea first then Europe. And they havent got enough stock for the US yet so its looking like August / September to me.

6. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    noooooo! im going to stop reading this thread!! lol, i knew something else would put the date even further back! i just want the psp now, im sick of waiting like everyone else in europe who wants 1, wel apart from all u who have imported one! :( i would but if it breaks its gotta go back over to where id get it from, and problems with different country of origin psps and wireless playing, oh well, ive just about lost hope to get one before i go on holiday in september!!! lol

7. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    yer i guess it will be august or later. Thats why i imported a Jap unit in the end.

Look at how much GT4 got delayed, and delayed and delayed lol

8. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    and then with Gt4 they took the online mode out after all the waiting :rolleyes: No doubt a special edition with "New Online features!! " will make a appearance to bring in more cash ! :laugh:
    Anyhow back to Game saying its out in may i wouldnt bet on that being true myself :cool:

9. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    game just said thats when they will know from sony when it will be released. I read on the uk playstation site that apparently the battery of the psp will be upgraded by 30%, if this is true then i hope it is implemented into the european PSP so the wait is worth it, and also there should be plenty of games available by then! lol

10. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i manage a game and thats bs i saw the sony rep yesterday and they are running a pool to see when its out they dont know and game def dont know

There is NO uk date at all the guess high up is september

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Not really, just buy the upgraded battery when it comes out if this is the case. The PSP battery already gives a good 5 hours play anyway which isn't too bad.

Mine should be here tomorrow or Friday, personally I couldn't wait until September (or whenever they get round to releasing it in the UK).

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    They barely have enough stock for the US and apparently the busier locations in Japan continue to sell out on a regular basis. They will always sort Japan and America out first as this is where they get the vast majority of their sales.

Unfortunately Europe is well down the pecking order we only get sorted when everyone else has had their fill :(

This is why we have to take matters into our own hands and source from elsewhere :)

If I was a betting man I would say Spetember UK launch in time for the Chirstmas build up. But then everyone will want one and you wont be able to get one over here fore love nor money. Sound familiar to anyone. What happened with PS1 & PS2 launches. Going to be a nightmare I reckon.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Anyone who's been around the Video games industry for a while can see what's going to happen! It will eventually get a UK release in pathetic numbers (as they will still be providing loads of units to Asia & the US for Christmas) just before Christmas. It will be in all the papers & press as the must have christmas gift and noone will be able to get one for love nor money! Well actually you will probably get one for around £400+ (just like the price people paid for PS2's in the release shortgage). It probably won't be far off this time next year when you can just go into game & pick one up at a decent price.

14. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    A few weeks ago when the ds was realeased both the ds and psp were on every news channel. This IMO has given the ds a big head start. Anyone who didn't know about it now knows and i think that people are not going to wait for the psp. Although i have seen stock of the ds everywhere i go, it mustn't of sold much!

15. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    But I read on IGN loads of places still have stock left in the US...? Several store managers were quoted as saying they only sold about 10% of their stock on release day?

As an aside, does anyone know what the stock situation is in Canada? I have a friend going over soon who might be able to pick one up for me if they are in stores...

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well EB Games stated on launch day that they had sold a large proportion of their stock. They reckoned they had less than a weeks worth left as a company and then they were going back to preorders for the second shippment when they sold out.

On their site they are now down to one bundle. The most expensive one :

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/PSPValuePacks/

They had half a dozen bundles originally for the launch last Thursday. If they werent struggling for stock of both the games and consoles why would they remove all the other bundles ?

They are the biggest game retailer in the states so a good indication.

The problem is that isolated locations will always retain stock. Its was (Is) the same in Japan. Out of the cities shops have plenty of stock but in the busier locations they are regullarly selling out.

As for Canada have you seen the DVDsoon thread. Apparently they are only selling bundles overthere now (Or so they tell us) stock is available but in very limited numbers.

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I've been so shafted by dvd soon and sony over this whole debarkle, I am considering getting a ninty ds, just to stick two fingers up at them over this :mad:

18. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    As Harrisuk and Guru said, check out the Sony PSP thread.

A friend picked mine up in a Future Shop store in downtown Toronto on Saturday and had no problems at all. I'm fighting DVD Soon, as even though I have one on it's way - I don't believe they should be treating customers like this and will fight it as long as possible :)

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    YEa kept my order open. I`m just going to sell it if it ever shows up.

20. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    After checking which one has the least dead pixels ;)

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Absolutely :)

22. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I am driving my wife and kids nuts because I want a uk spec PSP, but come on guys, did you really think that PSP would be released in Europe before late June. I refuse to believe any rumours from 3rd party sources and until Sony make an announcement, I am keeping an open mind. Once the second shipment has gone out to the US, Sony will probably started manufacturing european PSP's early April. But to manufacture 2 million units, ready to ship to Europe,is going to take time.....at least 6 weeks, once they have got full production up to speed. Couple that with marketing, distribution and advertising not forgetting informing the stores to make shelf space for a new product....all this takes at least 5 or 6 weeks, so the earliest we can expect to see PSP on these shores would be the middle of June. Besides, with all the problems that Sony are having with the PSP at the moment, I am not so sure that I would want a US or Jap spec. I would rather wait for the uk release because hopefully Sony will have sorted out the dead pixel problems by then.

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I've got my jap one today and it's class - no dead pixels & works a treat! I guess there will always be a percentage of LCD units that have dead pixels (my 1st LCD PJ Had one) and this will not change by the time the UK PSP comes out - it's just a factor associated with LCD manufacture unfortuantely.

24. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats great news, glad that your PSP is perfect. I agree about the dead pixel sydrome however Sony do need to step up their quality control as the problem seems to have got worse since the US release.

25. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we could possibly have it sooner than expected because according to:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000377038406/
    Sony over estimated the demand for the PSP, although they will keep shipments across to the US it is obviously not so much in demand as first thought so production purely for the US may change and the PSP may be made for the Korean and European release sooner. I could be talking all crap now but im not giving up hope of a slightly earlier release date! ;)

26. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the game story came from an internal date about the announcement of the date not the date itself

27. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I just read that link Pete and it does look promising. However, alot of the unsold PSP's could be located in remote locations rather than the towns and cities and big retailers so its difficult to say how well it is selling. I have read losts of posts on forums from americans and some of them were saying just how easy it is to buy a PSP in the states and that stores all over have plenty of stocks. If that is the case then once SOny have sent over the next shipement, they may well focus in Asia and Europe. If the PSP is to be released over here before September I think we will hear a confirmation from Sony in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Fingers Crossed

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Why not just get a Jap or US one - you can pick one up for the same price if not less than the UK one will be and you get the added bonus of having it a few months earlier. Don't see the point in waiting for Sony to bother catering for our Megre market myself personally.

29. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    becasue if it has a problem i cant return it to a sony store over here and my mates (who id play against) would have to buy one and they wont so itd be pointless for me, also ive heard of problems getting one, high prices and low prices, but these tends to have a large amount of import tax! also any improvements made to the system between the US and European release would be beneficial if they are used with the system wen its released over here! lol fingers crossed anyway!

30. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats right, I am prepared to wait for a uk spec because if there are any problems then I can take it straight back to the shop and ask for an exchange. I have one on pre-order at Game and as I am first on the list, the manager who is a mate of mine has said that he will sort out one without dead pixels for me. There is always a risk when ordering from abroad....look at the problems people are having with dvdsoon