PSP Slim Help - What To Look Out For?

PlaceboGraeme

Established Member
Reaction score
I was planning on buying a PSP Slim with CFW already installed via here but it's just not happening so I'm going to buy a PSP via ebay then buy the magicstick and pandora battery myself. What do I need to look for when buying the PSP so I know it can have CFW installed? Is it generally all 2000 series and 1000 series psps that can have CFW on there?

Also any more advice you can give me would be appreciated (such as cheap places to buy the battery/magic stick and installing CFW)

Thanks!

Hi

What is the issue with buying on here, price, none for sale?

I got one on here, Slim 2000 (hacked), 8g card, 4 umd games, pristine for about £90 - I am happy with it!

As far as I know the 1000, and some of the 2000 can be hacked, but some of the latter 2000 and 3000 can not (at the moment).

one is for sale but not in the condition I want (some scratches which would probably distract me) haha, but thats really about it. I am looking to get a 2000 series one thou, what do I need to look for? Do I need to look for a particular motherboard version or something?

one is for sale but not in the condition I want (some scratches which would probably distract me) haha, but thats really about it. I am looking to get a 2000 series one thou, what do I need to look for? Do I need to look for a particular motherboard version or something?

Not sure of the model - someone on here will know.

Keep an eye on the classified, my one was pristine! They change hands pretty quick as people get sick of them quite quickly (I am on my 2nd). I must say with the PlatTV integration and hacked to play games from memory card, the PSP is a much better machine.

the 2000 series are the slim & lites. i am keeping an eye out on the classifieds (even put up a wanted thread) but its the waiting i hate haha! all i need really are questions to ask the sellers so they can find it out and tell me so i know whether I can hack their one or not this should i bid on it? heh.

I would personally just go to game or gamestation and get a preowned one from there.

Check the datecode under the battery.

Anything from 8c upwards supposedly cant run cfw.

thanks for all the info retrogameman and scotty! i bought one off of ebay tonight, it hasnt got CFW but did cost me £74 incl p&p so saw it as a must have bargain considering I saw one go for £130 on ebay earlier on today. this was a last minute job so I have asked the guy to send me details on the firware version on it and I just have to hope for the best really. if not then i'll just stick it on here and try again I suppose.

but yes thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice, hopefully I can hack this, I have looked at all of the homebrew apps that are available and I'm wondering how people can get bored of it haha. will update when I know more!

reet I got my PSP today, it has a date code 8A and has letter E at the front of the PSP so is hackable but the guy who previously had this updated it to firmware 5.01, can I still hack the psp?

yay! all i need now is for beasty to do it for me unless anyone else wants to? i will pay for postage there n back AND will give a bit extra for the hassle. :)

Its easy to do yourself tbh.

Postage there and back is going to cost you about the same as buying a Datel tool/Pandora battery

I can send you step by step instructions and there's plenty of people on here if you get stuck

go on you know you want too :devil:

Its easy to do yourself tbh.

Postage there and back is going to cost you about the same as buying a Datel tool/Pandora battery

I can send you step by step instructions and there's plenty of people on here if you get stuck

go on you know you want too :devil:

hah! i just don't want to brick it. if you can send over instructions then that'd be quite helpful, i shall pm you now. all i need are the pandora battery and a memory stick am i right? and do i need to do everything on an xp pc or is vista fine?

hah! i just don't want to brick it. if you can send over instructions then that'd be quite helpful, i shall pm you now. all i need are the pandora battery and a memory stick am i right? and do i need to do everything on an xp pc or is vista fine?

Yes a magic memory stick and Pandora is all you need and can actualy recover a Brick :eek:

tbh XP is best but the newer apps are supposed to work on Vista, don't use Vista myself so can't confirm

You don't even need a Pandora and MMS to install CFW any more on that PSP. If you update your firmware to 5.03, and then set up Hellcat's recovery flasher on your Memory Stick with the appropriate firmware eboot for 5.00, you can then run ChickHen from 5.03 which, when it finally runs, will let you run homebrew apps like the Recovery Flasher to install CFW.

You don't even need a Pandora and MMS to install CFW any more on that PSP. If you update your firmware to 5.03, and then set up Hellcat's recovery flasher on your Memory Stick with the appropriate firmware eboot for 5.00, you can then run ChickHen from 5.03 which, when it finally runs, will let you run homebrew apps like the Recovery Flasher to install CFW.

That's very interesting :cool: I've used hens in the past but didn't realize this was possible on the new version, got any links?

Found it! nice work ;)

Last edited:
Sorry Scotty had a Hospital appointment.....this is a pretty comprehensive guide for anyone interested.

Edit....and ChickHen is built on a random execution of code. I was curious and wanted to see it in action but after ten or eleven tries i still hadn't got it going so i gave up (i wasn't that curious!). If you use this method you need to be persistent.

@Scotty....have you also seen the CFWEnabler for ChickHen which works on the Unhackable PSP 2000's and allows ISO and eboot execution?

Last edited:
@Scotty....have you also seen the CFWEnabler for ChickHen which works on the Unhackable PSP 2000's and allows ISO and eboot execution?

I go away for two days and all this wonderful stuff happens:D

Yes found that one too, nice to see some movement on the homebrew front

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom