1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Questions from newbie concerning v1.5

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by mark raeburn, Sep 15, 2005.

1. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm a bit of a newbie and haven't yet got my PSP (which should be here any day and is a v1.5 Jap model). Am wondering if I purchase a UMD game that requires 1.52 or above will it automatically update my firmware? Bit worried that I've got v1.5 and could accidentally upgrade without meaning to.

Thanks

2. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    You have to confirm i believe. I think there is software out there that can trick games into thinking you have upgraded. Someone with more knowledge will confirm that with links no doubt.

3. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You have to confirm it, plus you have to have your battery full and be connected to the mains before it will update.

4. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  5. Mark R

Mark R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers

6. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    why dont people want to update there PSP to new firmware`s wots the idea here ???

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  8. scoo

scoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have a read at http://www.ps2nfo.com and see why you shouldn't update. If you love retro and homebrew it's a must...

9. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thanks for this link, it should be just what I am after to play UK games on my v1.5 US PSP.

Are there any other advantages in staying with v1.5? I am not really interested in the homebrew stuff, but would quite like to run some of my own UMD games from Memory Stick to eliminate loading times/slowdown etc. Is this only available on v1.5 PSPs?

10. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yep, you can only play iso frommemory stick on 1.50 (or 1.00)
    i thnk games are region free anyhow, sao you shouldn't have problems there

11. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    Another benefit from running games from MS (As long as u have origional) is that your battery will last longer because it wont be spinning the UMD Disk when it needs to read information.

Also there is a program called Fastloader than you can run official UMD disks from and it will bypass the firmware check when playing game.

Only problem is that when you want to exit you have to hold shoulder buttons and then press home cause when you press home and confirm exit the unit will turn off.

12. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    not any more you don't latest fastloader v0.8c is perfect in this respect, and he's got over the bug in v0.8 that messed up the psp when you went into sleep mode on the emulated 'home' screen

13. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hmmm, but doesn't that mean you would need a handful of 1Gb memory sticks, one for each game as they can take up a lot of space when ripped from UMD?

And for those getting iso games from dodgy sources - games on UMD are still half the cost of a 1gb memory stick, so if you can buy two games for the price of one memory stick why bother with v1.5 firmware (dont start with that homebrew argument)? I would think that the battery life can only be extended by no more than a maximum of 1 hour playing a game from the memory stick.

There is a large advantage to having a 1.5 PSP and that is its value - the 1.5 will be quite rare if a downgrader cannot be created, and a lot of people will upgrade to v2.0 for the codecs and WPA wifi encryption. Plus, hopefully we'll get some nice shiney extra features with future firmware upgrades from Sony.

Z.

14. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    'dont start with that homebrew argument'

so we are not allowed to be interested in homebrew?

kinda kills the idea of discussion on a forum, dont start with that 2.0 firmware nonsense either

15. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah man, i'm definitely offering 'that homebrew argument'! check out how many homebrew apps are released everyday on psp updates. for me the psp isn't just a games or movie console, it's a whole world of geeky exploration!

16. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    It's a figure of speech!! Talk about homebrew all you want but at the moment unless you are into retro gaming then v2.0 of the firmware has far more advantages. There are not many decent apps available on the homebrew scene at the moment and there are no decent OS' yet, although there are a couple of promising ones but a fully functional OS will take time. Why would you want to use a notepad or spreadsheet on your PSP? Use a PDA if you are that desperate.

Z.

17. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    you just showing your ignorance , what does the 2.0 firmware do apart from give you a web browser and lock your PSP up? (there is already a 3rd party web browser)

Try reading up on all the things already capable of being done via homebrew and you might rethink your answer.
    many people are into the retro gaming scene but theres loads more beside.

as for your comment about UMD and the price of memory sticks , have you never heard of deleting and backing up?

spreadsheet and OS are the least interesting things.

Thats why 1.5 psps actually now cost more than 2.0s

18. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    What are you talking about locking up your PSP? My PSP has never locked up and I have never heard of anyone elses locking up either.

I actually have done my history, I dont talk about things unless I have read up on them first and from what I can see of the stuff available on homebrew it all looks very Reminiscent of something on the Amiga or Atari! Sorry, but been there done that.

Yeah, of course you can delete and backup, but some people dont have the luxury of time to think 'oh what game shall I play today and have to copy to memory stick' before leaving the house to go to work or school!

You want me to list all of the extra features that come with v2.0? Try looking around there is plenty of material on the net. I am happy to get WPA encryption and AAC encoding thanks. You wont get those anytime soon in 1.5. And before you say it, workable Divx is also a long time coming under homebrew.

Of course 1.5 PSPs cost more, because they are rare and the shops know the demand is greater than the supply!

Z.

PS, sorry Mark, we've completely hijacked your thread but this is the typical ongoing argument for PSPers between whether 1.5 and homebrew is better to have than a 2.0 PSP.

19. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    By locking up your PSP i mean NO HOMEBREW which I would have thought was fairly obvious .

Basically your happy to be in SONYs pocket well good for you thats fine.

To copy a game (that you own of course) to a memory stick takes about 2 mins , if you dont have that kind of time then perhaps you need to re evaluate your life.

you can get 3 or more games on one stick how many do u need to play every day?

Other benefits ability to run the PSP at full speed thereby running games much smoother and split second loading times , you ever played tiger woods on a UMD enjoy the wait?

Save wear and tear on your UMD Drive, any machine with moving parts the more you use it the more its likely to mess up, playing off a steady state medium such as memory stick NO such problems

Less stuff to carry around all day and lose or drop or get nicked, i.e. NO UMDS to worry about

Be creative put what you want on YOUR PSP when you want it not be dictated to by a corporation

Yeah Old stuff can be cool stuff, im loving DOOM at the moment knocks coded arms for six in terms of gameplay.

all my old mario games , who knows maybe even Sensi Soccer, a classic, loads of gameplay left in those

You carry on and enjoy your lovely 2.0 machine.

Funny how every forum i ever goes to has loads of people desperate for a DOWNGRADER to 1.5 from 2.0! and NO ONE saying how wonderful it would be to go to 2.0 from 1.5

HHHMMMM maybe theres something in that wonder what it could be............................................?

20. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    You obviously feel strongly for your lovely 1.5 PSP and no it's not obvious that you meant Sony were blocking you from using homebrew software, so I am not even going to bother with a response to most of your answers as they are not worth the time. And you try getting the most recent and near future games from UMD onto a 1Gb memory stick, I know a lot come in at a minumum of around 600mb each.

Dont know what forums you are going to (probably forums specifically for discussion about homebrew, no doubt), but I know there are a bunch of forums full of kiddies screaming for the downgrader because they think it's cool not because of anything cool to run.

There are still plenty of decent forums where there are people who couldn't give a rats ar*e about downgrading. If the time comes and it is possible then who knows whether those same people will actually go and downgrade, but that's IF the time comes. It looks like it may not for some time.

I AM putting stuff onto MY PSP that I want to, not what some big megaglobal corporation is telling me to. What you want to do with your PSP is your choice, opinions vary, but the PSP is designed for gaming and multimedia, it just so happens some cracker got around some security flaws in early bios'. If they hadn't then I bet you wouldn't be trying to win your side of the argument right now and be having fun on your non-cracked PSP instead.

I've not played the numerous games you have but the three I have got do not have any slow down because they are on UMD - Tennis, Colin Mcrae and Burnout Legends. They all play perfectly well.

Z.

21. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    not worth the time so why are you responding??
    obviously if the 1.5 firmware couldnt be crackedwe wouldnt be here but thats the WHOLE point.

The loading times on all three of the games you are talking about would be significantly reduced played from a mem stick.
    In a mobile machine played in small bursts that can make a serious dent in your time.

I can vouch for Virtua tennis and Burnout

BTW others on here have also talked about slowdown in burnout and how playing via a loader is much better.

You are not going to respond because you dont have the wit or cannot come up with a decent argument so you resort to the boring old standard response of its not worth
    the time so why bother at all?

so you dont want
    1. Quicker games (try playing: Burnout,Wipeout, WE9)
    2.Shorter Loading times(ALL GAMES!!)
    3.less wear and tear on your machine
    4.ability to play from a huge classic catalogue of games from the past
    5. the chance to be a bit creative?
    WHo knows what other progs are going to come out, people are very inventive.

IMHO the Homebrew scene is what has turned this machine from being a Gameboy on steroids into something much more interesting, read some of the articles in EGDE magazine, or the various DECENT forums where people are taking an active interest this machine and creating their own programmes for it.

1.5 can do ALL the things on 2.0 only better and quicker
    with a huge amount of other great stuff as well.

well if you like vanilla good for you but some of like something a bit better, different ,challenging and certainly more interesting

22. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Erm, no it cant! WPA, AVC and AAC for starters. 1.5 doesnt have that functionality. And if you read my post properly you'd see I have Burnout (Legends) and I see no speed issues with the game.

Enough said.

23. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Well you clearly havent played burnout legends off a mem stick or you might notice the difference how do you know it cant be better?.

about the worst thing the PSP can be used for is as a music player mp3s can be played quite happily so its not that much of a loss but its design isnt great for music playback on the go and with no keyboard or touch screen Internet access isnt that great either
    Give it time though no doubt some bright sparks will sort it out if needed

Obviously there are things in 2.0 that are not in 1.5 but IMO and it would seem the the consumer at large the abilities with a 1.5 far out weigh the extras in 2.0.

Or why would so many be prepared to pay a premium for a 1.5 machine?

NOT enough said by a long way, I know what functionality
    I and it seems the majority of people would like , wow AAC thats worth giving up all that Homebrew for .............NOT!

24. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm with you on the 1.5's, Spacecat. At the end of the day, we have the best of both worlds as we can upgrade in the future, should there become just cause to do so.

I view upgrading from 1.5 to 2 rather like being sold an expensive car, and getting it back from it's first service and finding that the switches for the electric windows, air con, stereo etc have all been disabled!

To my mind, the 1.5 is a no brainer!

Cheers, Clabs

25. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Nice to see a voice of reason :D :D

another music decoder (whats wrong with MP3) a web browser (3rd party already available) and a new video codec (MP4 looks superb on my machine.)

against all the things i have stated and maybe more
    for me its a Total No B :lesson: rainer