psp or x360 for a newbie gamer

silverpuma

Hi folks,

I'm not a gamer but I've been off seriously ill from work now for a few months and it will be after Christmas before I'm back, so I'm looking to kill some free time.

I don't need the top spec, so what I need advice on is should I buy the psp or xbox360? I'm leaning towards the psp because its mobile and when I need to go to bed I can use it there. A few questions:

Is there a big difference between a phat and slim psp?

I don't need a mod firmware as I'll just buy a few films off ebay

Can I surf the web with a phat psp or does it need to be a slim?

What would be 2 games I should buy first, not to tech to put me off learning:)

I'm thinking I should just by a used phat in mint condition on ebay or the classifieds here with a few games and films to see if I take to this gaming;)

Thanks in advance for the help and info..........:smashin:

DPT1976

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I'm not a gamer but I've been off seriously ill from work now for a few months and it will be after Christmas before I'm back, so I'm looking to kill some free time.

I don't need the top spec, so what I need advice on is should I buy the psp or xbox360? I'm leaning towards the psp because its mobile and when I need to go to bed I can use it there. A few questions:

Is there a big difference between a phat and slim psp? slim can be connected to a tv otherwise there isn't much difference.

I don't need a mod firmware as I'll just buy a few films off ebay

Can I surf the web with a phat psp or does it need to be a slim? Any PSP can use the web browser.

What would be 2 games I should buy first, not to tech to put me off learning:) Obviously depends on what sort of games your into but i would recommend Everybodys Golf 2, Wipeout, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy Tactics for starters.

I'm thinking I should just by a used phat in mint condition on ebay or the classifieds here with a few games and films to see if I take to this gaming;)

Thanks in advance for the help and info..........:smashin:
:)

Nuggsy

Novice Member
They're completely different machines aimed at different markets mate.
I don't know how mobile you are with your illness (I hope you get well soon :thumbsup:) but if you can make it to the lounge I would get the 360.
PSP is great but will you actually use it as a portable or is it a temporary time filler whilst ill?
If it's the former then PSP all the way if it's the latter & you think you may want to play the latest state of the art games then 360.

Alternatively you could just get both after all you're ill & nothing makes you feel better than new toys!

silverpuma

They're completely different machines aimed at different markets mate.
I don't know how mobile you are with your illness (I hope you get well soon :thumbsup:) but if you can make it to the lounge I would get the 360.
PSP is great but will you actually use it as a portable or is it a temporary time filler whilst ill?
If it's the former then PSP all the way if it's the latter & you think you may want to play the latest state of the art games then 360.

Alternatively you could just get both after all you're ill & nothing makes you feel better than new toys!
Thanks for this:) I see on your sig that you have both a 360 and ps3. One reason I was leaning towards the psp was that I might have bought a ps3 next year (for gaming and the bluray) so not being a hardened gamers I needed to chose between the 360 and the ps3 and not both:D Ah well, decisions about how to spend a few bob in the middle of the credit crunch!!!!:lesson: Things could be worse :rotfl:

silverpuma

just to tidy up the thread. I bought a psp slim on ebay today with 6 games. Thanks to all who commented and gave me some good advice:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom