Psp or Ds?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by AV Monkey, Sep 6, 2007.

1. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Never bought a hand held before. And iam interested in one whats currently the best for games?

2. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    I've owned both and it really depends on what you prefer.

The PSP is far more capable but I hated the analogue button and load times. The DS is a hell of a lot of fun with some cracking games available.

If I had to pick it would be the DS but I'd try to play both before making your mind up.

3. jrp023

jrp023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    the way i see it is if you love xbox/ps3 realism and quality graphics then the psp is the way to go, if however your a fan of cute games, platformers, tamagotchi's or sudoku style stuff then the ds would probably be better, for me its the psp because pro evo is really good on it.

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    Bought a PSP, play on my bro's DS Lite a hell of a lot more. Games are just so much more fun

And because I have no issues to contend with, I can safely say PSP is on par with PS1. Its not "PS3 or xbox" realism because its a handheld and is just that. The DS and PSP both have quality and varied software. You certainly get more than Pro Evo or tamagotchi (and I've not even seen any of the latter)

Look at the games and decide which you prefer. And before anyone says, I bought a PSP for wipeout. Dammit

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Personally I prefer the DS, but that said, i've just picked up Outrun Coast2Coast on the PSP for a fiver and am absolutely loving it! It's like playing the arcade/XBox version in your hands. Tekken DR is also fantastic (it's basically Tekken 5 on the PS2), as is Loco Roco, Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Lumines. Killzone Lib & Syphon Filter are also supposed to be great games but i've not played those.

The PSP is a great console (not far off a handheld PS2 basically) and there's quite a few great games on it now and they can usually be picked up pretty cheap. The DS is just great fun though and whilst it's only more like a handheld N64, there are stacks of must own games for it. :)

6. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    As much as i'm still enjoying quick blasts on LocRoco, the DS has arguably been my most played console. The sheer wealth of great games makes it number one IMO. Though if you're not a fan of old school 2d gaming and Japanese kookiness then it may not be for you. Personally with a new Zelda just around the corner and another Phoenix Wright i've yet to play i wouldn't sell mine for anything. :thumbsup:

Having said all that, Castlevania on the PSP is my most wanted at the moment and will by all accounts be stunning. If you're a Castlevania nut like me then your decision may be hard as the DS has a couple of great games and you can also play the older GBA titles. But SOTN and Dracula X on PSP may well knocked both into a cocked hat.

7. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not too clued up on the homebrew for DS but the wealth of homebrew available for PSP makes it a no-brainer for me. Sega emul. on psp is LOADS of fun if its 'fun factor' you're after. For me, little tops playing Killzone Liberation online :):):)

8. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    We have both in our house the kids have a DS each and I have a PSP.
    The kids love their DS and I love my PSP.
    The DS is just too childish for me but that could be down to my age :rolleyes:
    I'm not a graphics ore but playing the DS is like stepping back in time sometimes .
    I'm all for gameplay over graphics to a certain extend but the DS is just too poor to take a lot of games seriously, I just find myself laughing out loud at it's woe full attempts some times.
    As skinnyfat says the homebrew scene on the PSP is great.
    I use quiet a lot of really useful apps on it.

9. quidditys_shore

quidditys_shore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Homebrew for the DS is FAR easier than the PSP. all you need is 1 or 2 cards (about £40) and a 2GB SD/micro SD card and you're away with about 40 games! not to mention NES, SMS, GG & GBA games that most cards emulate.

I'd say I've played both about the same amout, BUT with the DS its only a select few games that make me go back, animal crossing is on constantly! I like racing games so if you do too then you just have to go for the PSP. As its been said before the PSP is like a portable PS2.

10. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Totally disagree....not played Outrun, Afterburner, Tekken DR or the latest Burnout? If you have you'd see its probably a slightly lesser portable PS2.

@ OP, I echo everyone elses sentiments, depends on what games you prefer. PSP is pretty much a portable PS2 games wise but can also web browse, watch vids and listen to music, whilst the DS has more of your SNES/N64 style classics added with some handheld versions of Wii games.

If you have the cash get both, they compliment each other well IMO.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Exactly, the PS1 would just crumble and die if it tried playing the likes of Outrun C2C, Tekken DR etc. Tekken 3 on the PS1 looks almost like a speccy game compared to Tekken DR on the PSP. I'd say that it's perhaps just shy of the PS2's performance level, but not by much at all and the PSP still always impresses me (even now, over 2 1/2 years since I bought it) that I can have such graphical quality in the palm of my hands.

I agree that they are both worth owning as well and i'd sell neither of mine.

12. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for all the helpfull views,
    Think if i take the plunge it will be psp. I like my games realistic and have owned ps1 and ps2 and enjoyed them in the past. Never really went for that cartoon style gaming nintendo chuck out. Thanks again best response i ever got on avforums.:smashin:

13. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    You won't be dissapointed :D
    Make sure you get the new PSP lite, although I'm not sure where it stands with homebrew. But their are some fantastic games on it Syphon Filter is a stunner and the the sequel game is out next month. Also Gods Of War is out early next year and is set to be a cracker.
    I got My PSP the first Christmas it was launched so the DS was in it's brick form factor, but I still love it and play it loads, Ace Combat X is also a fantastic game on the system.

And also next year Sky are launching their new video download service for the PSP.

14. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,483
    In terms of pure gaming I’d go for a DS Lite. It has more good titles and it’s compact size and decent battery life is better for gaming on the go. The DS also has more innovation and gaming pedigree. Playing with a touch sensitive screen is such a good idea that I try and do it with the PSP sometimes. Also the use of a cartridge means no delays on loading.

With the PSP I feel I need to be closer to a mains socket. On the other hand the PSP is the machine I’d like with me if I was stuck in a hotel room, as it’s more of a multimedia machine as well as being a games machine.

At the moment both have a good games back catalogue now anyway.

I own both.

15. lovelldr

lovelldr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    That's totally the opposite for me!

When I have the psp playing a game on the go, I know I can put it in standby, and carry on playing with it a few hours later, or even a week later (without going out of standby).

With the ds, I put the machine in standby, knowing that within a few hours it's going to start dying, and will need charging as soon as I bring it out of standby! However, shutting the machine down properly does work fine with the ds, and I can play later. Just means that I can close the lid and play later...

16. simmo214

simmo214
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have played on both of these but i decided to get the psp because the graphics was much better and it is also easiler 2 use.